Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... ER Anarchist. I like it.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Or you could just do neighbor favors for baked goods. It works out to about the same result and saves you a lot of trips to the bakery...
They've got it all down pat here. Any job that WOULD be worth >$500 (or something like that) requires a contractors license. You're not allowed to break it up or piecemeal it out, and they dont care if barter is involved.

Of course, its done all the time. But you know I'd be the one to get caught.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
They've got it all down pat here. Any job that WOULD be worth >$500 (or something like that) requires a contractors license. You're not allowed to break it up or piecemeal it out, and they dont care if barter is involved.

Of course, its done all the time. But you know I'd be the one to get caught.
How bad would it be if you did get caught? Fill out the IRS forms, pay the tax plus penalties. Or would there be a really big fine (with jail time?) for fraud?

I got "caught" neglecting to fill in the cost basis and overlooked one $75.00 interest amount. All I had to do was fill out their form and include a check for tax plus small penalty. I figure for a little embarrassment I learned how to do my own taxes and save myself the effort of schlepping over to H&R Block and paying their fee which would be considerably more than the penalty amount.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Fines run from $200 up to $15,000, for an unlicensed person acting as a contractor (doing work >$500). You may do stuff under $500, but thats got to be the price for the total job. In other words, if you're retiling a sink and thats $250 and you're replacing a front door and thats $300, you're over. You can do one and then go away a while and then come back and do the other.

All it takes to get caught is someone you do work for to be unhappy about something you did. Given how some peoples expectations run and general crankiness, its a given that you'll find an unhappy camper that'll report you to the CLSB.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fines run from $200 up to $15,000, for an unlicensed person acting as a contractor (doing work >$500)....
That's a pretty good argument for retiring cold turkey which is my plan anyway. But I'll beware of those $40.00 jobs that keep materializing. Make sure they don't escalate. I see people out there walking 12 dogs at once; next thing you know they have a special van with custom signs painted on it. Work not, want not.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I'd try doing small jobs, but the liability could be big.

Even the small jobs are spendy. My neighbors had about 12 feet of fence replaced by a handyman...just the rails and boards, not the posts. Plus a new 3' gate. $400. :
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'd try doing small jobs, but the liability could be big.

I keep apt. insurance in case the cleaning lady gets injured or if the fuchsia plant falls off the fire escape and conks someone. But who can put of value on seeing "Fluffy" go nuts when a hummingbird comes up to the fourth floor window; might be worth a huge hit on the NW.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

No contractors license required here in The Republic of Texas... Probably are requirements for plumbers and electricians.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I keep apt. insurance in case the cleaning lady gets injured or if the fuchsia plant falls off the fire escape and conks someone. But who can put of value on seeing "Fluffy" go nuts when a hummingbird comes up to the fourth floor window; might be worth a huge hit on the NW.
This highlights the one and only draw I feel to 3rd world countries. For the most part people are too busy trying to get food and a place to stay that weird crap like the above that flourishes in the hothouse atmosphere of the USA just can't get much of a toehold.

I do feel that minimizing driving and vehicle ownership, and also minimizing one's real estate footprint lessens but does not completely erase the need for all the "protection products" of modern American life.

Ha
Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Thoughh there are some "activities" which still call out for "protection".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This highlights the one and only draw I feel to 3rd world countries. For the most part people are too busy trying to get food and a place to stay that weird crap like the above that flourishes in the hothouse atmosphere of the USA just can't get much of a toehold.

I do feel that minimizing driving and vehicle ownership, and also minimizing one's real estate footprint lessens but does not completely erase the need for all the "protection products" of modern American life.

Ha

Seems like you could rub shoulders with many people from third world countries in your city, as in mine. But of course this country changes them, makes them fat and materialistic--I don't fully buy that idea. Had a good Nisai buddy in the '70s who would say, "these immigrants are more American that Americans." Of course I would reply, "they ARE Americans." [Could it be that we are still on the subject of patriotic Americans?]

OTOH, I have enjoyed knowing some "3rd world" refugees who retain much of the culture of their native land albeit sometimes manifested in wearing their wealth in gold jewelry. SO complains about the odd cooking odors but many have become some of my best friends. My Ethiopian pal is helping cheer me on with health issues--encouraging me to do the proper exercises....
Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I'm having trouble seeing why it's selfish to be FIREd.
Agreed. It's mostly envy on the part of those who haven't done the smart things and want to drag us down with them.

The thing I'm watching out for is for the majority that haven't prepared themselves for retirement to start looking for ways to come after our money. They look at the millions saved to support a modest lifestyle in retirement as "riches" to be redistributed. It makes my blood boil to think about it.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
It makes my blood boil to think about it.
Are you sure you didn't just leave the seat warmers on?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
How about a good government.....

They didn't 'allow' you to get the job anyhow... so why should they 'protect' it
Texas, just curious - what do/did you do for a living?
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll have to admit that for me ER is entirely unpatriotic and selfish. It's just payback for all the things I missed out on over the years.

For more than 40 years I paid for someone elses kids to go to public school but never had any of my own.

For more than 40 years I maintained a balanced family budget and never got into debt over my head.

Only once in 40 years did I ever borrow money against my house and paid it all back in two years.

So I guess it's my turn to even the score and get my comeuppance for all the things I missed. Things like McMansions, things like SUV's, trips to Cancun, trips to Europe. Things like multiple maxed out credit cards and Helocs. Just the little things in life that make the world go round.

Uncle Honey, just one who restrained himself till he got to the finish line ahead of the pack.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
[/I]As for the 63-year-old Stein, he has no plans to retire.
"I don't ever expect to stop working," he says. "I love my work. I don't believe there is a meaningful life without work. You're not a whole person without work."

Yeah--they need to keep working so we can quit!
I enjoy reading Stein's columns in the NYT Sunday business section. That said, I think it's a little disingenuous when he makes statements like "you're not a whole person without work." Stein is a very smart, hard-working, well educated guy (degree in economics, law degree). He makes very good money writing, lecturing, appearing on TV, etc. - doing lots of things that make it easy to want to keep working. Does that mean the cubicle drone working for mega-corp isn't a "whole person" if s/he wants out to pursue more satisfying, non-employment, endeavors? I think not.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I'm having trouble seeing why it's selfish to be FIREd... Many use some of their free time to serve their fellow humans in some capacity through volunteer work.
That was my thought when I read the article. Is it more patriotic to get paid to sell people crap they don't need than to work in a homeless shelter a day a week for free? Don't think so.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I enjoy reading Stein's columns in the NYT Sunday business section. That said, I think it's a little disingenuous when he makes statements like "you're not a whole person without work." Stein is a very smart, hard-working, well educated guy (degree in economics, law degree). He makes very good money writing, lecturing, appearing on TV, etc. - doing lots of things that make it easy to want to keep working. Does that mean the cubicle drone working for mega-corp isn't a "whole person" if s/he wants out to pursue more satisfying, non-employment, endeavors? I think not.
When Ben Stein shows me the dirt under his finger nails - I'll consider his opinion of work and un-Patriotic.

Meanwhile I'll go with my late Father - never trust a man without dirt under his finger nails or calluses on his hands. As for Patriotic - be highly suspicious of the guy who volunteers to hold your coat.

heh heh heh - George Templeton Strong in Ken Burns Civil War series on PBS was my favorite. The Norwegian widow is in 'er management' - she gets her dividends and manages to party on!

This seems to be a popular theme nowadays - lemmings? .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I completely agree. It's rather arrogant for those like Stein to make that kind of statement and to project that upon the whole population.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Stein is a sycophant who needs attention to complete himself. Because his sense of identity comes from external reinforcement, he has to work to remain complete. His condition can be treated. But first he has to acknowledge his many inadequacies.