Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I were him I wouldn't retire either. What an easy, prestigious role to play. Go around being lionized and not having any real program responsibility.

If he wants to go to Europe, he can go with better contacts and more resources than most of us could. He can drive around Beverly Hills in his Mercedes convertible and everyone will know who he is.

Plus, in spite of looking like a frog, I imagine he gets all the feminine attention that he can execute on.

All in all not a bad gig.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #62
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Stein is a sycophant who needs attention to complete himself. Because his sense of identity comes from external reinforcement, he has to work to remain complete. His condition can be treated. But first he has to acknowledge his many inadequacies.
He's also a creationist and thinks science is evil.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Amusing thread, if anyone has already expressed this opinion, I agree with you: This topic is in the dryer's spin cycle. IMO, it is neither particularly patriotic nor unpatriotic to dry your laundry on an outside line; but I will fight to the death for your right to choose. Same goes for both continuing to work past 55 or ERing whenever you can, we can spin it either way or neither way.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Came across a blog entry that addressed the same point as this thread:

There is NOTHING unpatriotic about retiring early | Mighty Bargain Hunter

This line resonated quite soundly:

The statement "You’re being selfish and unpatriotic" is more an admission of the un-sustainability of the federal programs for senior citizens: "If everyone does what you’re doing, the system will go bankrupt. So don’t enjoy your benefits, even though it’s clearly in your better interest to enjoy your benefits."
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a very amusing thread so far. For some people.... as long as they believe they are getting something for nothing, are all for it. And they are calling people that want to ER selfish? How exactly does the logic work on that one? Reminds me of people I used to know, who believed that if you did not lock up your bike with a strong enough lock, it was your own fault that it got stolen. Same thing with those who are always screaming to "tax the rich". It is because they believe they will get some of whatever they have for free. I would wager you if the poor were being taxed instead they would scream... "tax the poor", just as long as you do not consider ME "poor". Retiring early says that you are willing to take care of yourself, and do not need or want others to take care of you. Seems to be as anti-selfish as you can get to me.
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I enjoy reading Stein's columns in the NYT Sunday business section. That said, I think it's a little disingenuous when he makes statements like "you're not a whole person without work." Stein is a very smart, hard-working, well educated guy (degree in economics, law degree). He makes very good money writing, lecturing, appearing on TV, etc. - doing lots of things that make it easy to want to keep working. Does that mean the cubicle drone working for mega-corp isn't a "whole person" if s/he wants out to pursue more satisfying, non-employment, endeavors? I think not.
IIRC one of Stein's old acquaintances has posted about him on this board. His problems go much deeper than his work ethic and his reasoning abilities. And then there's the whole issue of his annuity shilling.

Now that George Carlin has gone to his great reward, I no longer expect comedians to be paragons of ethics or deep wells of critical-thinking analysis. I don't rely on their financial advice, either, any more than I depend on Bill Gross or Jim Cramer to help me pick stocks...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Came across a blog entry that addressed the same point as this thread:

There is NOTHING unpatriotic about retiring early | Mighty Bargain Hunter

This line resonated quite soundly:

The statement "You’re being selfish and unpatriotic" is more an admission of the un-sustainability of the federal programs for senior citizens: "If everyone does what you’re doing, the system will go bankrupt. So don’t enjoy your benefits, even though it’s clearly in your better interest to enjoy your benefits."
This is the crux of the point of the argument. The benefits given out cannot be sustained by the revenues taken in... so let's keep the same faulty system and be sure to have others (YOU) foot the bill instead of trying to fix it, dump it, change it, get rid of it...
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Precisely. Almost everyone wants to "fix" the three-headed entitlement monster of Social Security, Medicare and public pensions...but only if it screws impacts the generations after their own...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
IIRC one of Stein's old acquaintances has posted about him on this board. His problems go much deeper than his work ethic and his reasoning abilities. And then there's the whole issue of his annuity shilling.

Now that George Carlin has gone to his great reward, I no longer expect comedians to be paragons of ethics or deep wells of critical-thinking analysis. I don't rely on their financial advice, either, any more than I depend on Bill Gross or Jim Cramer to help me pick stocks...
George Carlin was one of the rare public figures that would say the emperor has no clothes. There probably isn't a celebrity or politician alive that would go anywhere near as far as Carlin did (though Eddie Murphy came close when he was in his "Raw" days back in the 80s). Stein is essentially a caricature of his own making, which makes him almost impossible to take seriously.

The problem with speaking your mind is that it requires you almost completely disregard what other people think of you. Once you have that mindset, you will be less interested in sharing your opinion, since you don't care what they think.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who has six children. He just had his last one at 50. He told me that he is going to be working until 70 when the last one gets out of college. I think that he is very patriotic for both having so many kids who will be supporting the trust fun as well as contributing for so long.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I have a friend who has six children. He just had his last one at 50. He told me that he is going to be working until 70 when the last one gets out of college. I think that he is very patriotic for both having so many kids who will be supporting the trust fun as well as contributing for so long.
Wow. God bless!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And as someone with no children, I am very patriotic for paying a lot more in taxes and using a lot fewer services despite being taxed more.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Yeah but nobody wakes you up at 5am and you've never had to deal with poopie diapers, so its a wash.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Six new consumers. He and his wife should get some sort of medal from American business.
Seriously, our system can only survive by continual expansion and that means an increasing number of consumer-units.

Whether this model is sustainable has been questioned.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - PacNW dude(natch) on PBS last night learned to sail from his Father - started with a beat up 25 foot sail boat at age 19 or so, NO NEST EGG!, found work wherever he landed, got a wife and they had three kids over the years raised on the boat and whenever they were ashore working/provisioning for the next leg.

Caught the last part of the program - the world is their oyster!

heh heh heh -

P.S. - technically they have been at it long enough that their pictures/mag. articles sell - soooo now they are er professional - which is good camouflage.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Six new consumers. He and his wife should get some sort of medal from American business.
Seriously, our system can only survive by continual expansion and that means an increasing number of consumer-units.

Whether this model is sustainable has been questioned.
Who cares man. By the time we need to worry about it you and I will be dead. The whole thing will start over! Think positive guy!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote