Join Early Retirement Today

Property Tax 2023
Old 11-25-2022, 02:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Property Tax 2023

South Central Minnesota. Up 15.6% over 2022.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 02:26 PM   #2

Ours are capped. County is not legally allowed to increase revenue by raising taxes. If the aggregate tax base increases, rates drop. Services suffer as a consequence.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Ours are capped. County is not legally allowed to increase revenue by raising taxes. If the aggregate tax base increases, rates drop. Services suffer as a consequence.
While ours is capped at inflation there is no limit to the number of special millages that can be added. There's even an option of additional millages to override the cap. So far most of these happen in the Summer elections where senior voters show up in force.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Is this based on higher assessed property value?
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With the homestead, ours are capped at a maximum 3% yearly increase, plus since we were already adjusted with the 2019 purchase, others will be catching up.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I hear you.
Up nearly 18% in northern Kentucky.
Rates didn't change much but assessed value went up a lot.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
Is this based on higher assessed property value?
Yes. Estimated market value went up almost 20%
Old 11-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mine has gone up 7.7%, from $1,970 to $2,121.

The assessed value is the same so that must all be due to increases in millage.

This doesn't make me happy! On the other hand, we are satisfied with the services, maintenance, etc. that we get for our property tax dollar in this suburb. So, I shouldn't complain. The value per property tax dollar is much worse in the city, IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Our too high NJ property taxes of $6200 on our small 2 bedroom retirement single family get us excellent services at least. About half of our pre-retirement taxes on larger SFH.
In 2023, we will qualify for a 'senior freeze' going forward.
That is much anticipated and will be appreciated.
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Declined ~1%.

Taxable value up a few % due to state limitations and long-time residency, market value up substantially.

Millage rate dropped a bit due to substantial number of high-priced vacation rentals sold last year. They have high taxable values but aren't eligible for the limitations of long time resident home owners.

Florida is great - tax out-of-staters just enough to complain, but not enough to bail, while keeping taxes low for residents.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:18 PM   #11

NJ taxes down $4 next year. Property taxes still just over $7000 per year.

Homeowners with less than a $150,000 income will get a $1500 rebate in April thru the Anchor Tax rebate program. Homeowners with income between $150,000 and $250,000 will get a $1000 rebate.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Consider appealing the assessment if its not too late.
Always interesting how this works in different states. In MD we are re-assessed every 3 yrs by the state. They are supposed to be a neutral party since the property tax revenue goes mainly to the counties, cities, and towns. There is a constant revenue provision that theoretically prevents the gov’t from collecting a windfall just because property values jump up. Another provision limits the maximum increase. If the assessment goes up by 12% it is phased in 4% per year over the 3 yr cycle. When the housing crises hit the assessments went down proportionately.

Last cycle we had an excessive assessment based on recent sales in the neighborhood including both next door neighbors. I really dug into the process and filed an appeal. I put together a pretty good case including recent comps and errors in the property records. They had two ambiguous subjective categories in the worksheet. It was something like ‘quality of neighborhood’ that could be used to jack up assessed value. I won the appeal which resulted in a significant saving every year for as long as we own the home. We also get a homestead exemption which I noticed many neighbors never applied for which I blame on shoddy realtors.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
With the homestead, ours are capped at a maximum 3% yearly increase, plus since we were already adjusted with the 2019 purchase, others will be catching up.
+1 Ours is about $2.5k this year. Not much different than the past few years.
Since most all of the houses on our street have been replaced with McMansions except for ours I checked the taxes on a few of the larger ones. I found that they were all paying annual property tax that was within 1k to what I paid for my entire house 40 years ago.
Glad we didn't move after retirement. Sometimes it isn't being smart but dumb luck instead.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Western Colorado - down 3% and they are reducing the state tax rate too next year.
Market value of the house is up 30% in the two years since we built.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:13 AM   #15

Ours is up 8% here in NC. But they said they review every 5 years, so should be steady for the next few years.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Mine actually went down slightly!
Old 11-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Our property taxes rise slightly every year--along with the assessed value. $450K value second house has a $1,266 property tax.

My main home has $0 property taxes because my wife is disabled.

Alabama property taxes cannot increase substantially without the State Constitution changed, and voters will not go with that on a referendum. We're into less government down here.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:23 AM   #18

Ours will be going from 6500 on 275k home to 3000 on 600k home by moving from one state to another. Goodbye Illinois.........
Old 11-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We won’t know until April 2023 assessment. Bought our house last year and then this year the assessed value went up due to our purchase. Fortunately the tax man assessed it for less than we paid for it so our taxes didn’t go up as much as we were budgeting. We live in New Mexico and property is assessed in January and valuation sent out April 1st. Then taxes due notices are sent in November and are due November and then April. So property taxes for the year are paid at the end of the year and the beginning of the next year. It was confusing at first, but now get the hang of it.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #20

Thanks to a hot local RE market, my appraised value just increased 37% from 2022 to 2023. My property tax for 2022 was $6,461 and I'm a little nervous as to what 2023 bill will be. I may have to fight this one on principle.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote