Join Early Retirement Today

Property Tax Rates: Different States, Different Strokes?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Property Tax Rates: Different States, Different Strokes?

I have been making, so far, a futile effort to find out all the different State's property tax rates. If anyone knows of such a web page, please post it.
Recently, I read on city-data.com that a number of people in the State of Washington have received their 2007 property tax bills with an 80% increase over last year. Yes, you read that right! I am trying to avoid being caught in that sort of situation, so.....need some help here.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think I've ever lived in a state that had a property tax. They've all been at the county, city and/or school district level. I think that's why you aren't finding such a web page.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't think I've ever lived in a state that had a property tax. They've all been at the county, city and/or school district level. I think that's why you aren't finding such a web page.
I agree with RunningBum. States don't levy property taxes that I'm aware of. Many states do impose income taxes which are partially distributed to counties/townships/municipalities and enable those taxing authorities to have lower property taxes. So, states with high income taxes often have local taxing authorities levying lower real estate taxes than local taxing authorities in states with no income tax.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
gone traveling

California property taxes are governed by the state Revenue and Taxation Code. Prop 13 restricts taxes to 1% statewide and increases in assessed values are capped at 2% per year. It is administered by the counties and they and local cities/school districts can vote additional taxes. Counties can opt out of certain statewide provisions such as Prop 90 which allows you to take your tax base to other counties.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #5

If you Google County Property Taxes BY State you should get what you want. But, since each county within a state has different rates you may find you have way too much data for it to be useful.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I have been making, so far, a futile effort to find out all the different State's property tax rates. If anyone knows of such a web page, please post it.
Recently, I read on city-data.com that a number of people in the State of Washington have received their 2007 property tax bills with an 80% increase over last year. Yes, you read that right! I am trying to avoid being caught in that sort of situation, so.....need some help here.
Hello,

States have side-wide policy on state income tax, but not property tax. Your property tax can vary within the state from city to city and from county to county.

Some counties have pretty arcane ways to calculate your property tax. For example, in Las Vegas:
Las Vegas Property Tax, How Las Vegas Property Taxes Are Calculated in Clark County

And note within the county they have different tax rates for different "tax districts":
Property Tax Districts For Las Vegas and Clark County, Nevada

So if you were in Boulder City, the rate is 2.3153, and if you're in Las Vegas City, it's 3.2812.

I'm in California where we have prop 13 that restricts property tax, but if you purchase new or new-ish homes in places like South Orange County, you'll have to pay mello roose which is a tax bond. Realistically, plan on tax rate of about 2% for a new home in area with mello roose in CA, plus monthly HOA fees.

To best of my knowledge there is no one place where you can go and get property tax info for every city in the country. However property taxes are tax deductible, so you get to save a little bit.
peorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #7

A few years ago I found a site that had the high and low property tax rates paid
for each county within the US. I did not save the site, but I did save the spreadsheet.
The data is from 2000. It is not uncommon for people in the same county to pay
double or even triple what others in the county pay.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #8

This might help. As said, property tax varies with state, county, school district, municipal utility district, emergency services district, and I am sure several more.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ntentID=105281
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
This might help. As said, property tax varies with state, county, school district, municipal utility district, emergency services district, and I am sure several more.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ntentID=105281
Thanks for the helpful link! I have bookmarked it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #10

Did you ever have some wrong idea that just stuck in your head and you keep saying or doing the same thing over and over? I keep saying STATE property tax rates over and over. I know better. What is up with that?
Regardless, I bookmarked that link, also. Most helpful.
Wow! Look at Texas the high next to Louisiana the low = big difference!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #11

Texas, no income tax, fairly low property values, about 6.5% state sales tax. If you check

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens Compared to Other U.S. States, 1970-2007

you will see Texas is down at the bottom for total tax. However, that does not consider the state chigger tax. It's murder!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #12

I've fallen in love with the tables from The Tax Foundation. Are they not great and ez?
Lived in Texas 22 years: Houston where the sales tax rate was 8.25%; I think (not positive tho) that the property tax rate was something like $19 per $1,000; corporate tax for incorporated biz was 4% then but I think this went up to 7% in 2007. They keep changing things.
However, I agree with you and all the realtors: Texas has the lowest property values--especially for metro areas--in the nation. Too much land, I suppose. And I have done enough homework on this computer to know that Austin in the next 20 years will be a boom area for retirees. It is just really starting now. Hope I am around to witness it.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
And I have done enough homework on this computer to know that Austin in the next 20 years will be a boom area for retirees. It is just really starting now. Hope I am around to witness it.
Does that mean you are in Austin, hope to be in Austin, or just hope to be living for the next 20 years?

I'll have a house for sale in Cedar Park (just north of Austin) next summer if you want to take part! Catch me before I sign on with a realtor and we'll share the savings!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #14

WHY are you selling in Cedar Park? That is supposedly a hot spot now!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Aren't you supposed to sell while the market is hot? :-)

My daughter finishes high school this year. The only reason I moved out here was to be able to spend time with her. Once she's out, I'm gone. Especially since she hopes to go to college at UVa, 45 minutes from my home in Virginia.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

You have to be careful. Were I live now, they constantly preach the low property taxes but fail to mention the extremely high vehicle taxes. Cletis
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
you will see Texas is down at the bottom for total tax. However, that does not consider the state chigger tax. It's murder!
Not to mention the hail tax!

Left state for 5 month long RV road trip. Finally returned yesterday. Sure enough, last night first hail storm in > 5 months. At least marble sized hail.

What a welcome back!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure if this will add anything beyond what's already been posted, but another site to check for state tax comparisons is RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Does this report include income tax or sales tax? For total comparison of average worker and retired households? Plus in Texas many communities cap the property tax for senior citizens. But as a whole I would say TEXAS property TAXs and Utilities and Property Insurance are way out of site compared to other states. I know.. I pay them ... Living in a no income tax state is not a true bargain if everything else is out of whack...and last the IRS deduction for sales tax may go away this year tooo. So we loose the tax dection other states provide via their income tax.
Raygun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun99 View Post
Does this report include income tax or sales tax?
From the website:

"...overall tax burden in each state, including taxes on retirement income, property taxes, senior exemptions and sales taxes."