< 9% 0 0%
< 10% 1 0.60%
< 11% 2 1.19%
< 12% 0 0%
12 or more% 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2982 on assessed value of 194,113. Identical house but no improvements just listed at 770k sold at 800k. So actual is less than 1% but tied to 1% of sale + 2% annual increase.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
The base rate is 1% of purchase price. It doesn't rise as house value rises.
It can rise with time, however. I believe it can go up .25%/year.

It can also go up if you add square footage in a remodel - so if you add on that bonus room you'll pay the "current" appraised value for the new square footage.

You can also lock in a lower rate based on the previous owners prop 13 tax rate if you're purchasing from a parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.

You can transfer your prop 13 rate if you buy a home of similar or lesser value (note - it doesn't say anything about square footage) and you are over 55. Some restrictions if you're changing counties when doing this. (Not all counties recognize the transfer from other counties.

Our tax bill is significantly higher than when we bought because:
- We transferred my dad's tax rate since this was his house. (So our rate was super low compared to the market rate we paid for the house).
- We built a granny flat - which was appraised at bubble prices - but fortunately it had some handicap accessible features - so they didn't charge us for that part.... That saved us about $500/year in taxes for the wheelchair accessible bathroom with roll in shower and the grading associated with the ramp to approach the unit that was 100% ADA compliant. (You can add on accessible features like an accessible/wheelchair friendly bathroom without impacting your prop taxes.)

Our percentage of "market value" is about 0.32% - inclusive of all the bonds that are tacked on, plus trash, mosquito control, etc.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
0.3% of market value
excludes federal state and local sales taxes and surcharge on gasoline for transit and roads and on alcohol for general purposes
Old 10-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
OK, I screwed up on this.
Where I have lived, the assessed value has always been at least pretty close to the market value. I forgot that this is not the case in many areas.

Sorry.
There are often so many issues with any poll like this. As pointed out, some municipalities (ours for example), the 'assessed value' is somewhere near 1/3rd market value. I think this is done to provide different rates to property with different zoning. I'm guessing they do that so that they don't need to adjust each percentage individually, with the 'equalization factor'.

Other differences - I often hear people claim that it isn't 'fair' to have their taxes doubled (for example), just because the market/assessed value of their home doubled. Well, in many (maybe most?) places, it doesn't work that way. But many people are unaware. What happens is, they have an allowed amount of taxes they can collect, and it gets divided up based on the assessed value. So, if taxes went up 5% in a year, and if everyone's assessed value doubled, everyone's taxes would go up 5%. It gets distributed equally.

Also - in Illinois for example, much (most, I think) of the school funding is local, and collected through property taxes. The State pays a smaller amount. If your state does this differently, that tax might just be shifted from your property tax to some other tax. Kind of a shell game, but comparing property tax rates w/o knowing all these other factors gets pretty meaningless pretty quickly.

But there's still value to this exercise, we learn about all these differences!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
$6700 on an assessed value of $1.03 million. Property taxes in Calgary are some of the lowest in Canada.
Similar numbers for Canmore.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

BUT, if they don't get you one way, they'll get you another. Our sales tax is 9.75%.
+1
Old 10-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #47

about 1.2% of assessed value. About .6% of actual value. Fortunately the assessor has not caught up with the complete gut, reno and addition that we did last year. I bet he is coming though!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #48
Administrator

In the UK houses are put into bands, A, B, C, etc, the larger the band the higher the local taxes on that property. You can easily see how much you will pay on a house by typing in the address, seeing the band and then look at a table of the annual tax for each band.

The house we are currently renting is in band E and we are paying £2,400/year for it. (in the UK the occupiers of rented houses pay the property tax). We estimate this house to be worth about £200k.

We are buying a house, have agreed a price of £285k, and will pay the same property tax as the, much larger, house is also band E. We also considered an even larger house that is £50k more and that house is also listed as band E so the annual tax would be the same (0.7%)

So, we are currently paying 1.2% of the house's value, but when we move (hopefully) to our new house we'll be paying 0.8%.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

.52% of appraised value

9.75% sales tax
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #50

2.5% in suburban North Texas. With our homestead exemption, it's actually 2.4%. Assessed value is very close to actual market value. We have no income tax, no personal property tax, and sales tax is 8.25%.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #51

1.66% school tax
1.66% property tax
8.25% sales tax
Dutchess county NY
Medium COL area, any county to the south of me taxes are at least double if not triple what I pay.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #52

right now I'm in year 8 of a 10 year property tax rebate in Philadelphia, so my property tax is keep less than 0.5%. Tax rate is 1.39% of accessed value (750K). another Pa with 6% sales tax.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #53

In particular this thread suggests that one should shop both by property taxes rates and home values when considering relocation. (In particular once retired why fight the big city traffic, move to a smaller city as besides taxes auto insurance may well be lower.)
Also rapidly growing areas will have big building related school taxes to pay for the new buildings, exurban areas less.
For those not from Tx a MUD is a municipal utility district that puts in water and sewer lines in a new subdivision, and taxes to pay for the bonds. An esd (Emergency Services District) is a district to pay for fire and possibly ambulance services in unincorporated areas.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #54

My curiosity was simply regarding forum members here.

If you want a more general look at property taxes around the US, here is a link that might perhaps be useful.

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Morris County, NJ: 2.3% property tax rate, sales tax 7%
emerytura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My curiosity was simply regarding forum members here.

If you want a more general look at property taxes around the US, here is a link that might perhaps be useful.

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com
This is pretty accurate for my area of California. As others have said, thank goodness for Prop 13. We pay less than 1% of value, and closer to .5%
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yup. If you buy in CA and stay put you have it pretty good.

As others have said they make it up in income and sales tax.

Services cost money.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Md suburbs of DC
Market Value $1
Assessed Value 0.77
Taxes 0.014
Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #59

Same house in CA for 29 years. Just under 0.5% of zillow value.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #60

27 years in the same house in CA and the total, including the garbage bill, is 0.55 percent of the Zillow value.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote