Join Early Retirement Today

Proposed tripling of TRICARE Retired premiums over 3 years!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Proposed tripling of TRICARE Retired premiums over 3 years!

Don't get me wrong-- I'm not sniveling about my healthcare premiums.* For survivors with few/no health problems this is the world's greatest deal.

But tripling the premiums over three years?!?* Admittedly it's only from $460/year to $1500/year-- but yikes-- that's 48% per year.* Alarmist journalism, not a budget-buster, not going back to work, but it makes you wonder if DoD knows what the heck they're doing.* I guess I've answered that question by watching DoD piss off the military retiree population.

My two points here are (1) I never expected this type of ER surprise, so if you're planning on becoming a military retiree then you can learn from my mistake by anticipating something similar, and (2) you'd better plan on paying a little more for healthcare than previously expected.

As for the proposals, DoD routinely pulls this retiree-beating scare tactic and then compromises with Congress.* The Military Coalition and MOAA are all over the issue so it'll probably just involve a "mere" 50-100% rise in premiums over the next few years.

Military.com & Tom Philpott on TRICARE premium increases

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Proposed tripling of TRICARE Retired premiums over 3 years!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords, I suspect you will have a tough time drumming up sympathy from the ERs who pay the full freight on their own. But I can understand the sticker shock.

It never ceases to amaze me how a Republican-controlled gummint can rail away at how the other party just wants to gut the military, and then goes on to chop the daylights out of the VA, Tricare, etc.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though the amount seems "small," I agree that the percentage of the increase is unwarranted. An increase of, say, 10% per year over ten years might be more paletable.

This reminds me of the increase in fees to visit national parks. I remember one year the cost to visit Yosemite increased from $5 to $20. That sort of jump is totally unacceptable...why didn't it go to $6...then $7 a few years later, etc... But, they've got us...what is to be done
Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read this article today and I was thinking of you Nords.* I guess that big retirement raise as compared to the AD will cover part of this cost * So they give and take away.

Not happy about it but what can you do?* Probably not a big deal to me on this issue as I will pay it when the time comes and just smile.* Of course I may join the Military Officers Association.* I do think if we were a little more efficient in DoD there would be money for this.*

TRICARE has been good to us with my son's transplant.* But just wait to hear all the scuttle but in the ranks over this one.* A few come to mine already.

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Don't get me wrong-- I'm not sniveling about my healthcare premiums.* For survivors with few/no health problems this is the world's greatest deal.

But tripling the premiums over three years?!?* Admittedly it's only from $460/year to $1500/year-- but yikes-- that's 48% per year.* Alarmist journalism, not a budget-buster, not going back to work, but it makes you wonder if DoD knows what the heck they're doing.* I guess I've answered that question by watching DoD piss off the military retiree population.

My two points here are (1) I never expected this type of ER surprise, so if you're planning on becoming a military retiree then you can learn from my mistake by anticipating something similar, and (2) you'd better plan on paying a little more for healthcare than previously expected.

Military.com & Tom Philpott on TRICARE premium increases
Nords: Come on Nords, think about it a little.

You and your wife have enough cola'd pensions to be able to live the rest of your lives with no problem. (At the tender age of early 40's).

I usually come down on the side of military, but good grief!

Your post would have probably been well received on a board comprised of "retired military", but complaining about $l500.00 a year for excellent health coverage on this board is bordering on the "whiney" side.

Count your blessings.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nords, tripling your TRICARE premiums is a kick in the pants and a continuation of the erosion of the commitment our country made to veterans. I understand your frustration and agree it isn't right nor is it fair. I suspect it won't be that steep and, as you say, is a scare tactic to make the actual, somewhat lower increase more palatable.

That said, I have trouble working up much sympathy, as the proposed $1,500 annual premium will amount to less than two months of my current health care insurance costs.

I realize you spent 20 years serving our country, much of that underwater in a metal tube with a bunch of other sweaty, lonely men, living way too close to a nuclear reactor.

....OK, I've reconsidered. You're getting screwed on the premium increase. I'll call my Congressional Representative tomorrow.

Jarhead, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Nords:* Come on Nords, think about it a little.

Your post would have probably been well received on a board comprised of "retired military", but complaining about $l500.00 a year for excellent health coverage on this board is bordering on the "whiney" side.

Count your blessings.*
Three comments, guys--
1. I said I'm not sniveling.
2. I'm trying to spread the word. There are a few military members on this board. I don't post to any other military boards.
3. Think of this as another canary in the mineshaft. If this is what it takes to "fix" TRICARE, what's gonna happen to Medicare premiums?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I missed the draft by only a few months before it was abolished in the mid-'70's, so I don't speak "from the ranks" AND I've never been in favor of a welfare or entitlement state whatsoever, BUT in the case of our veteran's you can call me a true bleeding heart liberal.

Every day I benefit from their sacrifices and if there must be a welfare state then I say give it all to our veterans. Maybe something like if you serve for four years then we'll give you a free college education. If you re-enlist then we'll add a very nice guaranteed pension at a very young age... say the mid 40's. And if the roll of the dice ever has you serving during a time of war then I say add free health care for life. Seems like a small price to pay for the service they provide and if they ever want to cry, whine, or complain about anything then my receptive and humble ears will always be there.

I will forever be indebted to our veteran's... even if I must postpone my own ER for a few extra years. God bless our troops! You rock!!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

So much for the idea of "health care for life" for the military retiree. I'm still trying to understand how Congress justifies charging retirees ANYTHING for their health care. What's next? Eliminating or reducing the COLA on the pension?
tiredofwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It wouldn't bother me much if this affected only new and future retirees, but changing the rules in the middle of the game seems grossy unfair.

I don't think the military retirees on this board are representative of the entire veteran community. Not every military retiree quits working in their mid-40's, is in great health, was an officer, or has a million+ in the bank. When we were out in 29 Palms we saw a lot of older military retirees who had probably spent 20 years enlisted and another 20-30 working at so-so jobs and were well past the point of being able to go back to work. I don't think living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere was their first choice, but it let them do ok on their pension. Tripling the healthcare premium for these guys is sure to cause more than a little suffering.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #11

I'm so grateful for what I have and I can afford the increase.* OTOH, ********** 'em. Bunch of ************* ********.* Whew!

Thank goodness for the lobbies.* They won't make this past them.* Good thing it came up just before an election year and with a war going on.* Most corporate medical insurance has increased.* Our premiums and other costs will go up some, but not that much. If I haven't gone senile, I believe I was promised lifetime "free" medical benefits, way back in 1960.*

This doesn't surprise me, though.* Our benefits have been eroding like the sands on Waikki for decades.

Watch your pension.* They promised that, too.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #12

If Government Inflation (I) bonds are paying 6.73 (keep up with inflation) why is the COLA increase only 4.1?

2.63% year on year is huge.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:

2.* I'm trying to spread the word.* There are a few military members on this board.* I don't post to any other military boards.
3.* Think of this as another canary in the mineshaft.* If this is what it takes to "fix" TRICARE, what's gonna happen to Medicare premiums?
I don't post to any military boards either.* What interest me here is all the different paths to FIRE.* There is no must follow path.* I enjoy the posts from the majority of the folks that have made it or are in the works to FIRE.* I think we have a good community here and it is my guess that the military folks here will weather any increase just fine.

IMHO medical cost is a huge issue for almost everyone.* But I must admit I am a little torn.* On one hand high prices gives incentives for advances in medical care enhancing quality of life, but OTOH costs are so high that it forces some to make choices that are for basic needs.* I really don't think our political leaders are tuned into this issue other than when its convenient around election time.*

I flew Sunday on a C-17 medivac that was prepositioning to pick up patients.* In route I was watching the crew get everything ready and looking at the empty litters.* For me it was a very somber experience and I felt sick to my stomach knowing that soon the AC would be full with wounded Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines from all components of our military.* When the nation calls this goups steps to the front and does what is ask to do.* It seems like having medical care is a small price to pay for what these folks give America.* Having a professional military force does require resources.* As for the increase in TRICARE, to many that have served this will seem like a slap in the face.

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #14

You're probably not the only one in for a surprise.* You would think that with the baby boomers becoming more focused on retirement, and pensions and health plans being reduced or dropped, the political climate would be such that we would find the energy to address the problems with health care and social security.* Instead, at best we get piecemeal "fixes" which do nothing to address the underlying problems with either.

The Next Retirement Time Bomb

Quote:
But tripling the premiums over three years?!?...I never expected this type of ER surprise, so if you're planning on becoming a military retiree then you can learn from my mistake by anticipating something similar, and (2) you'd better plan on paying a little more for healthcare than previously expected.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
You're probably not the only one in for a surprise.* You would think that with the baby boomers becoming more focused on retirement, and pensions and health plans being reduced or dropped, the political climate would be such that we would find the energy to address the problems with health care and social security.* Instead, at best we get piecemeal "fixes" which do nothing to address the underlying problems with either.

The Next Retirement Time Bomb
The point is the selling point of joining the military was the contract for free health care for life. We should not break that contract.

If they want to change the rules - then the people that sign up now should have this program. .

I believe the military retainer rate is based on having health care covered. This must be a double whammy for them. Retainer at a wage based on health care for life and the other gash of a 48% increase three years in a row and probably more to come.
Once the flood gates are open....................

Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to agree with Marketneutral. It seems it's hard enough now to get people to sign up for the military, what is this going to do to that problem now??

And even though hubby and I pay $989 (100%) of our health premimums each month I don't begrudge someone from seething over the sticker shock. (not all gov't employees get full health care coverage upon retirement...in our area it's just the teachers that do)

We're both hoping for a candidate that will address health care issues in the next election.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz
I have to agree with Marketneutral. It seems it's hard enough now to get people to sign up for the military, what is this going to do to that problem now??

And even though hubby and I pay $989 (100%) of our health premimums each month I don't begrudge someone from seething over the sticker shock. (not all gov't employees get full health care coverage upon retirement...in our area it's just the teachers that do)

We're both hoping for a candidate that will address health care issues in the next election.
The thing is, I have to wonder how many enlistees arre thinking about retiree healthcare benefits. I'd guess that funding for college is a much bigger carrot. Can't help with retention, though.

- George Orwell

Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
The thing is, I have to wonder how many enlistees arre thinking about retiree healthcare benefits.* I'd guess that funding for college is a much bigger carrot.* Can't help with retention, though.
I have a nephew that is a Marine. The health care for life was a major selling point in the recruitment process. In reality, the people that enlist for the college benefit only want to serve the bare minimum. The ones that want to have the health care for life want to retire.

I guess if you think about it - who would your rather have in the military. The ones counting the days to get out or the ones that want to make a career of it?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketneutral
II guess if you think about it - who would your rather have in the military.* The ones counting the days to get out or the ones that want to make a career of it?

Neither. I'd rather not have a military. But I freely acknowledge that I am unusual in my beliefs on the subject.

- George Orwell

Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Neither.* I'd rather not have a military.* But I freely acknowledge that I am unusual in my beliefs on the subject.
Holy Crap.* I agree with you.

I do not believe in standing army/military.* *.

If we did not have this war...what would the unemployment rate be?

It is very sad to make the unemployment numbers that when your benefits expire you are no longer counted.* Anything to make em buy stocks.*