Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pros/Cons of these two Vanguard funds?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pros/Cons of these two Vanguard funds?

Could someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of selecting one of these funds for a tax-sheltered portfolio:

Vanguard Total International Stock Index (VGTSX)
Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index (VFWIX)

The performance and region allocation are very similar for these funds. It looks like the Total Int'l Index has higher turnover but a lower expense ratio (with half of its holding in other int'l funds).

How would I determine which of these two funds to hold in my portfolio? It would seem as though the Total Int'l Stock Index would be best, since it has a lower ER and I'm not concerned with tax efficiency. Any thoughts?
mattgg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

VFWIX is eligible for the foreign tax credit VGTSX is a fund of funds so does not get this credit.Recently I've seen arguments made that what you gain with the tax credit is about what you need to offset the difference in ER and with VFWIX ER dropping this year and many expect it to continue to decrease you will come out ahead with VFWIX in taxable. Many hold VFWIX in taxable and VGTSX in nontaxable as they can't claim the credit there anyway. Finally just to muddy the water a little more. There are rumblings that VG is trying to get away from the fund of funds with VGTSX so it would be eligible for FTC.
I believe VFWIX has exposure to Canada and VGTSX does not.
Many might argue these two are not substantially identical, but they are sure similar.