Prudential White Paper on Maximizing Soc Sec

hogwild

Recycles dryer sheets
Here is a link to an interesting paper on maximizing social security income. I got the link from the "Retirement Weekly" publication:

http://www.incomebridge.com

Admittedly, they do have a product to sell, but I think there is a lot of valuable info in the paper.

That bridging idea sounds like a great project for one the really sharp people on this board who like to run numbers...

Is is possible to develope an instrument like FIREcalc where you can put in dollar amounts from your retirement account and run them against Social Security at various ages (we get those numbers in the mail each year) and then look at the difference in tax liabiltiy using Soc Security as age 62, 63, 64 and so on.

Like FIREcalc you could set an income target and then look at the difference if you took X amount from IRA at age 62 to 70, for example, with or without Social Security to make up the difference...
Maybe FIREcalc already does this and I am not smart enough to understand it!!!

If so, I am sorry...

All the best to everbody on this board.....Ted

tednvon said:
That bridging idea sounds like a great project for one the really sharp people on this board who like to run numbers...

Is is possible to develope an instrument like FIREcalc where you can put in dollar amounts from  your retirement account and run them against Social Security at various ages (we get those numbers in the mail each year) and then look at the difference in tax liabiltiy using Soc Security as age 62, 63, 64 and so on.

Like FIREcalc you could set an income target and then look at the difference if you took X amount from IRA at age 62 to 70, for example,  with or without Social Security to make up the difference...
Maybe FIREcalc already does this and I am not smart enough to understand it!!!

If so, I am sorry...

All the best to everbody on this board.....Ted

Yes you can do this with FIRECalc.  You need your SS numbers for all ages from 62 to 70 that you want to compare and it will require a FIRECalc run for each of those years.

jdw_fire said:
Yes you can do this with FIRECalc.  You need your SS numbers for all ages from 62 to 70 that you want to compare and it will require a FIRECalc run for each of those years.

Actually, I don't think you can use FIREcalc for this.  FIREcalc doesn't distinguish between taxable and tax-deferred accounts.

hogwild said:
Actually, I don't think you can use FIREcalc for this.  FIREcalc doesn't distinguish between taxable and tax-deferred accounts.

You are right, you would have to figure the taxes on your own.

jdw_fire said:
You are right, you would have to figure the taxes on your own.

I thought that was the idea with Firecalc. Taxes are such a moving target that trying to account for them in an application would be a rat's nest of complexity. Rather, Firecalc calculates the income stream and you figure you taxes based on sources. The same would apply here. You plug in a given SS scenario, evaluate the tax implication (based on best guesses about taxes), adjust the scenario appropriately, shake and repeat.

donheff said:
I thought that was the idea with Firecalc.   Taxes are such a moving target that trying to account for them in an application would be a rat's nest of complexity.  Rather, Firecalc calculates the income stream and you figure you taxes based on sources.  The same would apply here.  You plug in a given SS scenario, evaluate the tax implication (based on best guesses about taxes), adjust the scenario appropriately, shake and repeat.

That's seems to be the FIREcalc method. However, the link originally provided in this thread offers another perspective on how to handle the tax impact to social security. Another poster suggested FIREcalc could do this as well, but that is not the case.

"That bridging idea sounds like a great project for one the really sharp people on this board who like to run numbers..."

I already did and that's why I wrote the paper. This isn't a solution for everyone, but there are many who could benefit. At a minimum, understand the long-term implications of your Social Security decisions.

Its a one-sided paper that gives you part of the story in an attempt to get you to buy a product from an insurance company that may not be appropriate for a lot of people.

Read a little more stuff from some other sources before biting.

Try something a little more balanced like this:

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/socialsec/a2003-06-24-paydaysooner.html

But an insurance company trying to sell you an annuity is more objective? ::)

Which part of the AARP article did you find misleading or incomplete?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
But an insurance company trying to sell you an annuity is more objective? ::)
Yeah, "Who paid for that research?" is the answer I'm interested in more than the conclusion.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Which part of the AARP article did you find misleading or incomplete?
Don't get me wrong, Dan Moreau did a fine job. He could have referenced Bud Hebeler or Scott Burns but I can understand him not wanting to give away his audience. IIRC at least those two are old enough to tell their readers which option they're actually taking.

No, I'm referring to AARP's hypocritical "name" change from the former meaning of its acronym to just "AARP", plus the relentless marketing/branding/selling/politicizing of their name to their many fine direct-mail afternoon-TV affiliates. It's almost as much fun to whisper "AARP" to my MIL as it is to whisper "George Bush" or "Medicare doughnut hole"...

New Thinking said:
"That bridging idea sounds like a great project for one the really sharp people on this board who like to run numbers..."

I already did and that's why I wrote the paper.  This isn't a solution for everyone, but there are many who could benefit. At a minimum, understand the long-term implications of your Social Security decisions.

New Thinking, don't let CFB throw a wet blanket on your idea, he apparently doesn't like annuities even if the numbers show it is a better approach (see my disscussion with him on the "FYI: Ben Stein's views on asset allocation"  thread) for a given situation. 

Hmm, so looking at both sides of the equation is bad. Gotcha.

Straight from the mouths of people who have already acknowledged that they sell annuities. Gotcha.

I have no problems with annuities...they're sensible for a range of people. Just not everybody. Which is what I said.

I saw no numbers from you that show an annuity is a "better approach" except for a specific example you laid out, with a lot of assumptions that I dont think are anywhere near sure things.

You ducked the question: show me an annuity that pays more than 8% return (payout and/or inflation adjustment) that has a survivor benefit and actually adjusts for high local levels of inflation.

I can get that from a boring old low volatility mutual fund like wellesley or target retirement income. You cannot get that from an annuity.

You are trading the profit margin collected by the insurance company for a guarantee of a lower rate of return than you can make yourself. Nice trade for a risk sensitive older person with no heirs. Lousy choice for a 45 year old with a wife and kids that lives in a high inflation area.

Apparently the annuity outfits pay well enough that the sales people are willing to troll retirement boards :LOL:

Show me an annuity that pays 4% plus CPI or better and I'll buy it. In buckets.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Show me an annuity that pays 4% plus CPI or better and I'll buy it.  In buckets.

So, how would the insurance company fund it?? I mean for a young person?

Ha

Bunny - You are obviously entitled to your opinion. I came on this forum 3 years ago. Others too, but mostly this one. I read Bud Hebeler, Scott Burns, and Jonathan Clements..I felt that I could not create a product as good as Social Security for retirees..From its inflation-adjustments to no-cost at retirement. I merely created a product that would allow people to maximize their Social Security. What I found along the way was information that no one had ever brought up (or rarely brought up). The ability to create a much larger benefit for a widow...The signficant tax savings if you take a higher SS benefit. The ability to play one spouse's benefit off of the other. These are all items that the AARP article and all the others, never brought up. Keep in mind that article written in 2002 and earlier reflect an earlier Full Retirement Age and lower Delayed Retirement Credits...The ball game has changed in the last couple of years..The annuity is not going to be a big money maker for the firm. But it will be a solution to provide retirement security for many seniors. As others mentioned in the Frontline thread, most people are not like the members of this board who can manage their finances for thirty years of retirement. I have merely tried to create an option that may be appropriate for some. And I "paid for" most of the research myself through work I did at nights and on weekends because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Hmm, so looking at both sides of the equation is bad.  Gotcha.

Straight from the mouths of people who have already acknowledged that they sell annuities.  Gotcha.

It is you that appears not to want to give fair consideration to both sides.  And when someone stands up to you, you lie and call them an annuity sales man.  I NEVER "acknowledged that I sell annuities".  In fact I DON'T SELL ANNUITIES, which I told you before, but as before you just make up "facts" to suit your mood.  Do you have an ego problem or something that makes everyone who has a different idea from you wrong because you always have to be right?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I saw no numbers from you that show an annuity is a "better approach" except for a specific example you laid out, with a lot of assumptions that I dont think are anywhere near sure things.

The only possible reason you didn't see the numbers is because you did not read my posts, because they are there.  Yes there was a specific example and the assumptions were not unreasonable.  Just because it didn't fulfill all the assumptions you would need doesn't make the ones made unreasonable.  If you did read my posts you must have misunderstood them or your ego got in the way again.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Lousy choice for a 45 year old with a wife and kids that lives in a high inflation area.

My example was for a 60yo couple not a 45yo couple so maybe it doesn't work for you.  That is no reason to belittle the idea or the presenter.  Please remember that I agreed with you that each individual should run the numbers on any and every investment product and weigh the associated risks and attributes.  When they find a good balance of risk and return that apply to the term of their expected retirement, they should buy those products.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Apparently the annuity outfits pay well enough that the sales people are willing to troll retirement boards :LOL:

I repeat I DO NOT SELL ANYTHING.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Show me an annuity that pays 4% plus CPI or better and I'll buy it.  In buckets.

Do the math on the annuity I used in my example.

Lurker here, who can't believe the rudeness directed to Newthinking. He is a senior financial professional (read his bio at the end of the paper), and has put together one heck of a good piece of work. Evidently, he is willing to discuss it with people on this forum. Might be a good opportunity for some of the more aggressive, rude posters to actually learn something without trying to assassinate his character or his motives.

Newthinking -- Thanks!! This forum is lucky to have you.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Show me an annuity that pays 4% plus CPI or better and I'll buy it. In buckets.

I got curious about annuities because of some of the other threads and took a look at Vanguard's annuity quote application. Vanguard tells me they will give me a lifetime annuity with CPI increases (75% option for my spouse) with payments starting on a monthly basis at 4 months shy of 61 (spouse would be 57). It returned a little better than 4% based on the initial annual payout divided by principal investment.

Is there something I missed here? I figured that it sounds about right. Once my spouse and I kick Vanguard keeps anything that is left. Average life expectancy would be in Vanguard's favor. The principal reason I would choose to rely on investing on my own would be the very real possibilty to leave a huge pile for my kids. But I could see why someone might decide to put a chunk of money in an inflation protected annuity to cover fixed expenses. Then they could take more risk with their other "buckets"

I just got around to this thread and couldn't get to the Prudential paper -- the link on their page failed so I will have to look at it later. But I agree with a couple of other posters who thanked the guy who wrote it and posted the link here. There are plenty of people here to poke holes in "new thinking" so I think it is safe to expose us to this stuff :-\

If I were to go for an annuity type of investment, I would look into one of those donation schemes where public TV, Consumer Reports, my local symphony or some such organization gets to keep the leftovers (I'd have to look into the underlying insurer, of course). Meanwhile, I do well with CDs at PenFed for the sure-thing part of my portfolio.

jdw_fire said:
It is you that appears not to want to give fair consideration to both sides. And when someone stands up to you, you lie and call them an annuity sales man. I NEVER "acknowledged that I sell annuities". In fact I DON'T SELL ANNUITIES, which I told you before, but as before you just make up "facts" to suit your mood. Do you have an ego problem or something that makes everyone who has a different idea from you wrong because you always have to be right?

Wow, nice little temper fit there. I seem to remember offering up pieces of the equation you left out, saying that the idea you floated would be very appropriate for some people, and suggesting people get all the information and work it out for themselves. And I never said you sold annuities, I said we had annuity sales people pitching to us here, and the frickin guy who posted right above yours confirms that he does in fact sell annuities.

As far as the rest of your comment, I could say something simple like "#@%& you", but how about "I just dont care much for people who tell half a story, pretend to be open to other ideas and then ignore the rest of the data in order to support their own opinion."

I dont think *i'm* the one with the ego problem.

The only possible reason you didn't see the numbers is because you did not read my posts, because they are there. Yes there was a specific example and the assumptions were not unreasonable. Just because it didn't fulfill all the assumptions you would need doesn't make the ones made unreasonable. If you did read my posts you must have misunderstood them or your ego got in the way again.
I see...your reasoning is so good, the only way I could not be swayed by it is if I didnt read it.

Frankly, there were a lot of private communications regarding your post, with the gist of it being that most of the regulars were giving up on the conversation because you had your mind made up and werent interested in a balanced discussion. Your defensiveness seems to support that.

With that in mind, you frankly didnt get my "A-game".

But heres a taste, let me know if you want more.

- You use small numbers in your calcs, under 100k. Firecalc fails more often with small portfolios than large ones. Plug in some multi million dollar numbers and you get a different result.
- You dont account for taxes. Annuities are usually taxed as ordinary income while investors often get the benefits of capital gains rates
- You brush aside survivorship and inheritance issues on one side of the equation without accommodating them on the other. If I didnt want to leave money (like the case in an annuity), I could consume principal from the investment portfolio at a rate that would exhaust it at some point very late in my life, substantially increasing my spendable income in earlier years when I'm likely to actually appreciate it.
- None of the apples to apples annuity options produce the same amount of income on the annuity side. Its less. In some cases (survivorship and CPI indexing) it can be a LOT less. Your example used small example numbers, so figuring out if the income level produced by an annuity would be satisfactory for someone to live on was not explored. I see few people concerned about having too MUCH income in retirement.
- Your assumption that CPI = inflation, when I pointed out (in my dataless assertions) that such is not the case for a lot of people.
- Your usage of a couple thats 60 years old...short time horizon = larger annuity payouts. Not sure if you noticed, but this is an EARLY retirement board, not AARP.

So in summary, a retirement age inconsistent with the topic of early retirement, small numbers more likely to cause a failure of a non-annuity example, no attention paid to the tax situation, assumption that cpi=inflation, no attention paid to whether the income produced would be satisfactory since its less than one could get with self investment.

A bunch of issues you didnt address.

And you still, for the third time, havent shown an annuity that pays as well as a Wellesley or Target Retirement Income type fund, which is roughly 4% a year paid out and roughly a 4% annual principal adjustment...which is well in excess of the average CPI. And you still have all that money left over at the end!

My example was for a 60yo couple not a 45yo couple so maybe it doesn't work for you. That is no reason to belittle the idea or the presenter. Please remember that I agreed with you that each individual should run the numbers on any and every investment product and weigh the associated risks and attributes. When they find a good balance of risk and return that apply to the term of their expected retirement, they should buy those products.

Show me the "belittling". You're the one that was flapping his gums about my working wife, although I had ER'ed for 3.5 years before marrying her.

New Thinking said:
Bunny - You are obviously entitled to your opinion. I came on this forum 3 years ago. Others too, but mostly this one. I read Bud Hebeler, Scott Burns, and Jonathan Clements..I felt that I could not create a product as good as Social Security for retirees..From its inflation-adjustments to no-cost at retirement. I merely created a product that would allow people to maximize their Social Security. What I found along the way was information that no one had ever brought up (or rarely brought up). The ability to create a much larger benefit for a widow...The signficant tax savings if you take a higher SS benefit. The ability to play one spouse's benefit off of the other. These are all items that the AARP article and all the others, never brought up. Keep in mind that article written in 2002 and earlier reflect an earlier Full Retirement Age and lower Delayed Retirement Credits...The ball game has changed in the last couple of years..The annuity is not going to be a big money maker for the firm. But it will be a solution to provide retirement security for many seniors. As others mentioned in the Frontline thread, most people are not like the members of this board who can manage their finances for thirty years of retirement. I have merely tried to create an option that may be appropriate for some. And I "paid for" most of the research myself through work I did at nights and on weekends because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Dont get me wrong - for some people waiting to take SS makes sense. Principally someone who expects a long life span, is still working or has other income that could cause an unfavorable tax situation, or has other special requirements. For an EARLY retiree thats managing an investment portfolio, I dont see that waiting for it makes a lot of sense, nor does buying an insurance product to replace it in order to delay taking it.

It takes 12-14 years, or more, for someone taking SS late to see a positive cash flow vs taking it early. If you think you're going to want to spend more money in your late 70's and your 80's-90's rather than have a higher withdrawal rate in your 50's, 60's and early 70's, then thats the right choice for you.

As to whether I'd dump a piece of my portfolio to buy an insurance product to help me delay receiving SS...again...i'm sure there are people for which that works. I cant imagine it to be a majority or even a strong minority of early retirees.

To me, the bottom line of the annuity and the "social security bridge" options are that a very risk averse person will appreciate them. Someone who cant stomach the volatility of a fund like Wellesley should probably reconsider early retirement. The problem these very risk averse people may face is a slow loss of buying power due to differences between CPI adjustment and their actual rate of inflation. I think for many people, this is offset by reduced spending in their later years. And perhaps that comfort factor for someone in their 70s-90's is worth a cost premium.

Me, I'd rather have the extra money now, and the extra money later too, and hand off financial independence to my son when we pass on and he's about our age...rather than pad the coffers of an insurance company.

I'm new to the forum, but I've run a few scenarios on Firecalc and I've yet to run one in which taking SS at 62 produced a higher probability of success that taking it at 66. Am I missing something?

You must have plugged the wrong numbers into the wrong place. Why dont you share your inputs and I'll see if I can help you.

Do a search for social security...its another topic that I think has already been well enough beaten to death. In one of the more recent ones, I outlined the early/late scenario in firecalc and in theory.

Sucker probably wont be there by the time I turn 62, so the points probably moot anyhow.

Each time I ran the scenarios, I kept all inputs the same except for the SS start dates and SS amount. The amounts are from a recent SS statement.

Incidentally, I get similar results on a spreadsheet that I built several years ago when employees over 50 were offered an early retirement package. I modeled 3 different scenarios twice each - once with SS at 62 and once with SS at 66. In all scenarios, the SS at 66 resulted in a higher ending (age 90) balance. In all scenarios, expenses are kept the same except for taxes. Taxes change due to different incomes.

Back
Top Bottom