PSA: Vanguard 2023 Tax Forms

Trooper

Full time employment: Posting here.
If you, like me, migrated from Vanguard's mutual fund ("old") platform last year, you will receive two sets of tax forms. I sold mutual funds in each platform and thus far, only the mutual fund transactions appear on VG's Tax Forms site.

You may receive 2 sets of tax forms for 2023
Because you transitioned from our old investment platform last year*, you'll likely receive 2 sets of 2023 tax forms (unless your accounts had no activity in 2023). Please wait until you have both sets of forms before filing your taxes to avoid having to amend your tax return. Many of the forms you'll need should be ready by mid-February—and some may be available sooner. If you sign up for e-delivery of your forms, we'll notify you as soon as they're ready.

*Our old investment platform is our mutual fund-only platform. Our new investment platform is our general investment platform (known as a brokerage platform) and offers you access to mutual funds and a variety of other investment products—including ETFs, stocks, and bonds.

Good reminder. This caught me up the year I transitioned our account

We got our mutual fund platform 1099 last week and the brokerage platform 1099 today. And they actually did add up to match what we did last year.

That caught me too. The year I switched, I didn't realize there were two 1099's and ended up filing without noticing that I had missed one. Ended up having to file an amended return and pay a penalty (interest) for paying them late.

That caught me too. The year I switched, I didn't realize there were two 1099's and ended up filing without noticing that I had missed one. Ended up having to file an amended return and pay a penalty (interest) for paying them late.
I keep a spreadsheet detailing my income throughout the year. That way I know if I'm missing a 1099, or if one is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom