Psychology Majors - insights into this financial behavior

The decision whether to spend the money on a vacation (or any form of entertainment) or for a replacement of an old appliance or computer becomes more interesting. Having fun is what life is all about, but replacing obsolete appliance or outdated computer is joyful also. You can enjoy it everyday as opposed to a relaxing or fun vacation that you might be able to recall from time to time. My take is to do both if you can. That is, you do not have to get the top of the line appliance, computer or an extravagant vacation.

I'm glad Dex posted this. I'm the same. I'll spend more time thinking about a cordless mouse for the computer than on a dinner out that costs twice as much.

Maybe the theory that "you've got to grab the experience while it's available" is correct.

I've had another explanation. Manufactured things have generally gone down in price. I bought a $300 digital camera recently that essentially replaced the $300 35mm SLR I bought 30 years ago. Of course, the new camera was a much lower percent of my income than the old one.

But dinners out, hotel rooms, tickets, and other entertainment seem to have gone up more in line with my income.

I concluded that I was mentally trapped in "the old days" when a camera was relatively much more expensive, so I needed to examine that purchase carefully.

We recently took a vacation, and I bought a few things to take along. I told myself "this isn't a big expense, just compare it to one night of lodging". It was much easier to spend the money, so I figure I'm making "progress".

I actually do the same thing ;) But for me it's not always just a split between experiences and goods. Sometimes my lines are completely arbitrary. Like, I can't spend $20 on a new game that I will play, but I can spend $50 on a new pair of shoes every 6 months.

For me, too, it's sometimes arbitrary..

I can think of nights out where splurging on friends & good times was "priceless" (like the MC commercial) and I didn't care since I knew I was good for it several thousand times over. There are other nights out where I've gone "$20/$50/$100 for a meal I can cook at home!? Feh!"

With tangible purchases, I tend to internalize the decision over a long period, and then STRIKE --snapping up my desired item regardless of cost or whether it is absolutely the most rational "value". It takes a while for my heart and my head to agree: it's ok.

I think borderline cases- where I don't see an extreme net advantage --whether material or psychological-- are the hardest.
For example, I find myself getting irrationally cranky that in the supermarket here 4 medium yellow onions cost almost $2.00...

:rant:

Drifting OT:
What's going on w/onions? This is not just an Italian thing; here's someone reporting from LA that they are $1.99/lb.!!
http://blogging.la/archives/2007/04/high_onion_prices_to_continue.phtml

Yellow ones .99/lb. (€1.61/kilo).. we are in that ballpark (actually something less.. I don't have the exact price/kilo I paid at hand).
I guess that's what things are coming to.. that a 10# sack of onions will cost more than a computer mouse.

Is this extraordinary? Or am I just destined to be an old lady crank?
:rant:

Or both?

Yep, I tend to purchase "experiences" much more quickly than purchasing "things". I wonder if this is partially a male thing. I have noticed in the past that girlfriends would spend much more time than I would on clipping coupons for food (back in the day) and shopping around for deals on vacations. But then when they wanted to buy a stereo or appliance they would just go into the store and buy whatever the salesperson said was best.

I tended to be the opposite, opening the wallet fairly easily for meals and weekend vacations, but researching electronics purchases to death.

Of course it may just be an adaptive reaction to the constraints involved... experiences tend to require friends coming along, which makes it harder to obsess on the choice. Purchases tend to be made alone, which makes it easier to obsess in peace.

Here's my spending dilemma

I can't get myself to pay $30 for a bottle of wine, but have (albeit, not happily) paid the same in a restaurant for a bottle that I KNOW is worth $15 or less.

I like the comment above "we are all cheap in the way that works for us!"

Here's my spending dilemma

I can't get myself to pay $30 for a bottle of wine, but have (albeit, not happily) paid the same in a restaurant for a bottle that I KNOW is worth $15 or less.

I like the comment above "we are all cheap in the way that works for us!"
I would rather think about it as paying for (what we) value.
When celebrating an occassion with friends a $30 (or $60) bottle of vino is worth it. On the other hand I hate 'paying up' when I get no 'value'.

One reason investing in experiences seems more positive :cool:

Link: Skip Buying Stuff and Take a Vacation Instead :: PNNOnline ::

Skip Buying Stuff and Take a Vacation Instead

pix-t.gif

Shopping for that new high-definition television this summer? Skip it, and take a vacation instead, says a University of Colorado at Boulder psychologist who studies happiness.

Assistant Professor Leaf Van Boven has conducted numerous surveys and experiments spanning several years and has found that life experiences, such as vacations, generally make people from various walks of life happier than material possessions.

One reason for this is that experiences are more open to positive reinterpretation, or mental editing, than material possessions. And vacations are a perfect example of this, according to Van Boven.

"Often we take a vacation and things just don't always go according to plan," Van Boven said. "The weather may not be perfect, or you spend hours waiting in line. The nice thing about memory is that we sort of forget about all those inconveniences. We put this very favorable spin on experiences, and that's harder to do for material possessions, because they are what they are."

It's not that we block out the negative memories altogether, Van Boven says, but rather that we just don't remember them with the same force as the good memories.

"When I went to Disneyland last summer with my wife and two kids, the whole meaning of that trip was to give the kids this experience of seeing all of those characters and going on the fun rides," he said.

While he did his share of standing in line, that's not the memory he carries.

"In my memory, it's the rides and seeing the characters and it's spending way too much money for a hamburger for this idyllic family meal," Van Boven said.

Another reason he cites for hitting the road over buying the new TV is that experiences contribute to social relationships. "They have more of what we refer to as social value, and we know that social relationships are a huge component of well-being and life satisfaction," Van Boven said.

Closely tied to this idea that experiences have more social value is that people also usually have intrinsic motivations for pursuing experiences like vacations.

"One of the things that people tell us is that when they pursue experiences they often do so out of a desire to satisfy intrinsic goals, so they will go backpacking or skiing because they want to challenge themselves, they want to push themselves in new ways," he said.

Material things are much less likely to be viewed that way. In fact, Van Boven says people who pursue experiences more than material things are often more popular with others too.

"When you are known as being experiential you become a more likeable person than when you are known as a materialistic person," he said.

So how can we get the most out of our vacations? Van Boven has two suggestions that he says are somewhat contradictory.

The first is to just relax when planning a vacation. Van Boven says there's too much pressure to take vacations to the hottest new spots, to appease relatives or to check it off the "go to" list.

"We should be worried about taking vacations with the wrong motives," Van Boven said. "I think we ought to be a little more on guard about the motives underlying the types of vacations that we take."

His other advice is to fit a little more into our vacations.

"Sometimes you just want to sit down and relax and not do anything, and that's great," Van Boven said. "But the problem is if you spend all your time doing that, what are the memories that you'll have?"

"Even if you're a little bit tired, or tempted to just sit around the hotel room or sit around the beach, maybe it's worth going out and doing some of those things you really would like to do, because chances are when you look back you'll forget the fact that you were a little bit tired at that moment," he said.

One other option for vacationers is to volunteer for part of a trip.

"I have never, ever heard someone regret helping someone else," Van Boven said. "Go somewhere, help out and then spend a few days traveling on your own and relaxing on your vacation. That's a wonderful combination."
Unfortunately several current studies and surveys have shown that Americans are taking fewer and shorter vacations than in years past.
"Who knows why Americans don't take more vacations," said Van Boven. "I think part of the reason is that it's very easy to believe that we are going to take a lot of vacations in the future, but for right now, we need to work hard to earn the money so that we can go take these vacations. But we know this doesn't always happen."

Hmmm - vacations with the passage of time and distance - memory makes the pain in the ass stuff part of the adventure.

heh heh heh - or something like that :D. Of course in ER, I just take trips.

I had a friend who bought a painting in India for $10 and spent $1000 to have it shipped and framed. I guess the value to him was not based on the price, but the meaning of the painting. It makes sense that we often value experiences more than material goods. As someone else has mentioned, the decision to pay for a restaurant meal is quite different when it's a night out with friends, compared to the same meal to satisfy hunger. Context is important. For the same reason, it's important to me to buy a decent automobile/TV/dishwasher/computer that works, but if I am not under a lot of social pressure to have the latest model, I am more likely to wait till it wears out before feeling replacement pressure and to critically evaluate the replacement according to its perceived value to me. I do not, for example, want to surf the net on my TV. Nor do I feel the need to have TV in my car, GPS on my mower, games on my cell phone, or an icemaker on the door of my refrigerator.

I deprive myself 99% of the time and usually have to only spend on things I don't need when they make good sense or make someone else happy or jealous. I bought a boat at a boat show once because we like fishing and my old boat needed a new floor, boyfriend wanted to make it different cut out the bow put in live wells and build in a gas tank. We were looking for ideas at the boat show. I found a boat with 3 live wells the bow was cut out so you could sit up there and walk threw the windshield. I waited until we were ready to go home and he wanted to use the mens room first and while he wasn't looking I went and told the sales guy if it had a bow mounted motor I would buy it. I was signing papers when he got back. I like having things but even more when he is jealous and likes my stuff. I haven't ever driven my boat, launched or retrieved it, fueled it up or had any maint done to it but have been fishing in it often, some times it goes fishing when I can't, once my boat took a week's vacation to a lake without me because I got a new job and count go.
Now he can't afford retirement and would love to move to the country where we could have deer and elk in the yard and near a favorite lake. I saw one online yesterday with 16 acres with a small lake on it, I am tempted to buy it just to see his face when I buy the perfect home for myself when he can't afford a home. Being that he is my roommate and my boat driver he will have to come live in said perfect place with me.
Yet somehow I can't see paying more than $15 for a purse or owning more than one.

This is very interesting on how we relate to things and experiences. I'm feeling much better. I don't think I'm cured but happier that I'm not alone.

Interesting article since I just started my vacation yesterday.

Saw the Pentagon and but we didn't get ambushed by any Beltway bandits. It has been relaxing and my sisters are going to fly in next weekend and we will all bond as one big happy family. At least that is the plan.

Now he can't afford retirement and would love to move to the country where we could have deer and elk in the yard and near a favorite lake. I saw one online yesterday with 16 acres with a small lake on it, I am tempted to buy it just to see his face when I buy the perfect home for myself when he can't afford a home. Being that he is my roommate and my boat driver he will have to come live in said perfect place with me.
Geez - with generosity like that you might as well make an honest man out of the fellow!:D

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom