PUCC - Personal use of company car

Backpacker

Recycles dryer sheets
Wonder if anyone has pondered on this. I can use the company car for personal use and have to show as income the IRS mileage rate of 58 cents per mile for 2019. I might have personal use of 4000 miles per year, so I've increased my taxable income by $2,320. At the income tax rate of 22% + FICA at 7.65% + some state tax, my cost is really only 700 bucks or so. Upside is this is increasing my annual income in the Social Security calculation. I can't imagine that the 2,320 extra income per year is going to move the needle much for SS. I'm thinking I should still minimize PUCC and will come out ahead in the long run. Or should I maximize PUCC?

I'm probably WAY overthinking this and appreciate any comments or math wizardry you folks may share.

We used to have to report personal mileage monthly. I heard some employees were less than honest on the reports.

I have a company car, but I max out my FICA by mid year, so I never think twice about it. I just enjoy the perk.

We used to have to report personal mileage monthly. I heard some employees were less than honest on the reports.

Yeah - I sometimes think I might be the only one that is even close to accurate on this. They do not set any limitations on usage so I could drive it to church, grocery store, pick up grand kids from school, etc to maximize. Didn't mean to imply I'd fudge the numbers, rather just pick wisely which vehicle I use :cool:

I wouldn't worry about it. Use the vehicle that's most convenient or fits the needs of the task best. At less than 20 cents/mile,I'd be inclined to use the company vehicle. OTOH, will there be an issue with your job if you got into an accident with it on your time?

... and yes it is a really nice perk.

A nice perk indeed!
My company car was a high end Mercedes but was just part of my general compensation. It was never used for business other than getting my fanny into the office. I just paid the taxes.

A (jealous) co worker commented once "yeah, but you're going to have to pay taxes on that lease payment" to which I replied, "So, I get to drive a $70,000 car with paid insurance and gas and it's going to cost me maybe...$4K? Oh, Ok"

Use the heck out of it. I used to get a stipend. It didn’t fully pay for my leases, but it made them highly subsidized. Some guys would keep their cars as long as possible and try to come out ahead on their stipend. I just looked at it as a really nice perk. I loved driving a new car. I could get leases on nice Buick’s for a bit less than my stipend. So basically I was driving for the cost of the taxes on my stipend. I was good with that. Not to be too much of a spendthrift, but you got to get something you like out of your job and, for me, driving a nice new car ever two years was something I took advantage of and was happy to do it.

We reported PUCC monthly. Honor system, but mega motors applied an imputed income formula so it was not a freebie like everyone assumed. I put about 24k total miles with personal use comprising ~15%.

Back
Top Bottom