Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kook View Post
Losing my identity has been one of my biggest concerns. My job has pretty much been who I am for the past 30 years....

I do have plenty of hobbies and woodworking is one of them, . Luckily, my wife is also my best friend so I have that but our local friends are few so I will need to venture out socially in our community.
Also my biggest concern... Nearly 36 years of being involved in the worst day of someone's life. It has left a huge impression on me. I stop and help folks when not on duty... Its who I am... that cant be just turned off... I'm lucky that they want me to come back PT... so I can make some extra while getting my adrenalin fix.
I have a group of close friends from our racing days that still gather from around the country, with about half of them retired over the last few years...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
I did it folks! Wasn't easy and had a long week of back & forth as they tried to change my mind, but notice is officially in and I'll be out of the job next month.
Congratulations
Like I said in my thread ...
Its like parachuting....
Jump and enjoy
Old 09-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #123

Kook, I could have written many of your words! I am also an accumulator.

My original retirement target was 2017 but for various personal (divorce) and professional (project I wanted to see through) it got pushed out.

After working from home for over a year and loving it I really started to look for a way to retire when my ccompany decided it was time for everyone to work in the office earlier this year. I found a way to make it happen now so was faced with a dilemma. One issue is tha my partner has a traditional pension and cannot retire for a couple more years. So if I retire now my travel and other plans would be limited for a couple of years. I have also taken on a new project that I want to follow through.

Is this OMY syndrome? Maybe.

But I've now set a date, the Friday before my 59th birthday, just over 2 years from now. I have repurposed my job until then as a means to "accumulating" several personal goals:
- achieving a professional certification that depends on my job (I know, no value in retirement but a nice personal accomplishment)
- achieving the highest tier lifetime elite status in a travel loyalty program (requires spending that I could still afford in retirement but my income will make it easier)
- achieving a million points in that program. (Done, just recently.) This will be enough to fund 2-3 years of travel in retirement.
- Doing some remodeling on my house
- Accumulating 10 years at my present employer (which leads to a valuable perk/recognition plus a few thousand extra bonus pay)

Knowing I can quit anytime might mean I make a rash decision if management does something stupid. But having a date written down has really made time fly since I did it this spring. I like my job. I just don't like having a job when my time could be my own!

Our road trip through California this summer, which was after picking my date, was also an influence. Seeing the horrible condition of the forests in California (this was mostly before the fires currently burning) and watching what is happening with the Colorado River has made me realize that time may be running out to see some of the things I want to see in the world. While I have always believed in climate change, I have never worried too much about it because I viewed it as something that would have impact long after I am dead. I know it is selfish but realizing some things I have on my bucket list might be gone forever in a few years has put renewed urgency on leaving work behind and getting out to see them.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote