Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
If you go on a particular company website for a quote they require you to put in your SS#. I have yet to do that. I wonder what others think of that?
when you write a check you are giving people your account number, ABA rounting number, your name and address. and maybe even a copy of your signature.

inputting a SS# into a website means it's always encrypted if you do it through a reputable website, and it's for identification purposes. ifeel safer sending my SS# through the internet than putting it on a paper that will sit in some insurance agent's office that any lowly paid assistant can look at. with a website you can encrypt it and put permissions on the column in the database so no one can view it

anyone can get your SS# if they bought enough data from enough companies
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a very positive experience going back to my Allstate agent with a quote from Progressive and ended up getting an even better deal than I sought. Apparently Allstate had set up new policies I didn't know about but which fit me well. And because I had reason to contact the agent, I learned I could get an even better deal with my very low mileage. Auto and house insurance are costing me much less than at any time in the past 15 years. And it all started because I contacted my agent with an online quote from Progressive.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
Unfortunately I found that if you have an umbrella policy - your home and auto need to be with the same company.

So I found it to be an "all or nothing" - same company with home/auto/umbrella

Others find same ? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that is universal - and they will require high coverage levels on the auto insurance. I guess they don't want to be covering 'holes' between the policies.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
And because I had reason to contact the agent, I learned I could get an even better deal with my very low mileage. Auto and house insurance are costing me much less than at any time in the past 15 years. And it all started because I contacted my agent with an online quote from Progressive.
I don't think mileage has much of an affect on the auto insurance rate. I would say you were being ripped off in prior years.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Unfortunately I found that if you have an umbrella policy - your home and auto need to be with the same company.

Others find same ? Thanks.

Actually having all in same place is convenient -I just want the best rate.
That's the same problem I've encountered, dave...and the cheapest companies I've found that offer Umbrella + Auto are AAA and State Farm.

I included quotes from American Family, AllState. I found out that GEICO and Progressive only offer auto policies, no umbrellas.

Anyone know any online companies besides the above that offer Auto + Umbrella? (I know that each insurer only offers certain policies in certain areas).
Old 04-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wouldn't assume that.

We have our home insurance with Armed Forces Insurance (AFI.org). We've had personal-property policies and homeowner's policies with them for over 25 years. Admittedly they're not very good at avoiding losses in hurricane-prone areas, let alone making money, and they may start restricting policies or jacking up the premiums. But they offer good service and we've only made a few claims.

AFI doesn't issue auto policies directly, but in Hawaii they partner with Progressive.

We have our auto insurance with USAA (nearly 30 years). They're a lot cheaper than GEICO & Progressive and we haven't had a rate increase in at least two years. Currently USAA won't issue homeowner's policies in hurricane Hawaii unless it's a first-time purchase, but when they were writing policies they were more expensive than AFI. But then USAA is probably a lot more financially stable than AFI.

We have umbrella liability insurance with AFI. They don't quibble about the auto policy being with USAA but they require a certain minimum level of auto liability before the umbrella kicks in. Never had to make a liability claim and I hope we never do.

USAA's umbrella liability insurance is way more expensive than AFI.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I don't think mileage has much of an affect on the auto insurance rate. I would say you were being ripped off in prior years.
I was told in the past that it didn't matter, but since I was spending time on my auto insurance I asked about it. It turns out it does matter, but I can't remember how much. I got one quote, lower than Progressive, than another lower one after the low mileage came up, under 7500 per year. They ask for regular proof of my mileage. I had to ask for the discount.

I think I was gouged a bit in earlier years, but I have to take into account I got older. Frankly, for a solid ten years I didn't ask anything about my insurance.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #28

USAA gives about a 5% discount for low mileage and they have not asked for proof of mileage for about 15 years now. They used to send out a form every year to fill out the mileage but, as I said, they stopped. They also give a newer vehicle discount (5%) and a "Premier Driver Discount" (guess that means long time customer or just old drivers) of about 7.5%. The USAA umbrella ($1MM-5MM) required we carry $300K liability on the car and the home.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wouldn't assume that.

We have our home insurance with Armed Forces Insurance (AFI.org). We've had personal-property policies and homeowner's policies with them for over 25 years. Admittedly they're not very good at avoiding losses in hurricane-prone areas, let alone making money, and they may start restricting policies or jacking up the premiums. But they offer good service and we've only made a few claims.

AFI doesn't issue auto policies directly, but in Hawaii they partner with Progressive.

We have our auto insurance with USAA (nearly 30 years). They're a lot cheaper than GEICO & Progressive and we haven't had a rate increase in at least two years. Currently USAA won't issue homeowner's policies in hurricane Hawaii unless it's a first-time purchase, but when they were writing policies they were more expensive than AFI. But then USAA is probably a lot more financially stable than AFI.

We have umbrella liability insurance with AFI. They don't quibble about the auto policy being with USAA but they require a certain minimum level of auto liability before the umbrella kicks in. Never had to make a liability claim and I hope we never do.

USAA's umbrella liability insurance is way more expensive than AFI.
Thanks for info. I don't know about the "association" insurance companies - but all the "public" insurance companies I investigated required home/auto/umbrella all to be in same place.

I've never been in service, father was in Korea. Looking at websites, looks like children of serviceman is possible. However USAA looked like it would require father to join USAA. Maybe I can get some quotes and check out further.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I courious about the actual dollars we are talking about here.
$425 - Townhouse ins - cost apx 300K includes furnishing replacement
$900/yr - auto & trailer ins - 2000 Dodge dakota w/500 or 1000 deductable - I forgot
- no ticktes
- live outside the Atl.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think I could do much better then what I have through Erie. It's all bundled for maximum discounts. My rates won't go up at all if I make any claims. I keep trying to find ways to lower my car insur. Just got a 7% discount for switching to annual pmt.

$960 car insur for 2 vehicles 2000 & 2003
$550 home ins for 285k house
$135 for 1 mil umbrella ins
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Anyone know any online companies besides the above that offer Auto + Umbrella? (I know that each insurer only offers certain policies in certain areas).
USAA does if you qualify -- I think you need a military connection to qualify to buy their insurance products.

I used to shop my auto and home policies around every six months or so but gave up. Every single time I've tried, USAA has been cheaper by far.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Without knowing the coverage limits, deductible amounts, accident and violation record, etc. comparisons are not too meaningful.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #34

Don't forget also USAA has "savings accounts" for some members whereby they, in effect, receive a rebate every year. This makes the premium considerably lower and should be considered when shopping.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #35

A am with State Farm for the whole shabang - I had to have vehicles and home with them to get the umbrella - 5 years ago I even bought some CDs from their bank(wish I could get those rates now)
I am in pretty close contact with my agent and his people - being involved with your policies and asking questions has kept my costs down. I got an older van(heavy and plenty of airbags) and called to have it insured and they gave me a quote of $68 per month. I stopped in and asked if there was a better price - since it was my 4rth vehicle(including motorcycle) they could call it an "extra vehicle" and the cost was $33. per month. I pay monthly for all insurance(auto-deduct) - it is very convenient.

My daughter just got her license :-/ They gave me a quote of $65. more on the van (now you know why I got the van!) - I am stopping in there this week to talk.....
Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #36

I agree comparisons aren't too useful without coverage information. My new six month premium is 226.90. I dropped collision on my 2001 Honda Accord. I have full glass and comprehensive coverage. I have 500,000 bodily injury coverage limits and underinsured coverage. I get four discounts.

I worked in negligence defense for awhile, long enough to learn plaintiffs sue for insurance coverage, not more unless you are special.

I subscribe to the philosophy I first heard from my aunt. If I hurt anyone, I want them to be compensated.

I thought about an umbrella policy, since I have three policies with the same insurer, but my agent told me it's not a good idea.

kate
Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Should I drop the collision on my 2000 van? It has 100k miles on it and the kbb resale value in 'good' condition is 8k. I plan on keeping it for another 100k miles.

I have to dig up paper work to see what my collision premium is.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I
I thought about an umbrella policy, since I have three policies with the same insurer, but my agent told me it's not a good idea.
Kate - I'd ask your agent WHY it's not a good idea.

Not a good idea because the umbrella is typically cheaper $ for $ coverage, and he's afraid you'd reduce your other coverages and he'd make less commission your total insurance payments would go down?

Depending on what your limits are, you could consider dropping your coverages on your 3 policies and add in an umbrella to give you additional coverage on all of your policies.

HOWEVER - most insurers will require minimums in certain policies to give you an umbrella (IIRC, State Farm required that I carry 250/500 liability coverage on my auto policy to have a $1MM umbrella. I wanted to lower it since I was getting an umbrella, but they said "no dice").