Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2023, 11:39 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
But it's really not all that much. And it is the cost of doing business. You would have lost a similar amount if you had an account outside Schwab and had to ACH transfer in from the outside bank with a high yield to your settlement account.

The ideal would be a settlement account that pays money market rates, but you can only get that at Schwab if you have assets under management.

- Rita
We're only talking a couple of bucks per day but this kind of thing encourages me to go long on the CD, so I'm not constantly buying them. Also I will look for CDs that have a closer settlement date.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
Just live with the fact that I'm going to lose some interest after I sell out my SWVXX and before my first settlement date.
1 day?
Old 01-25-2023, 12:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
1 day?
Isn't one day to settle SWVXX so I have cash and then I order my CD which can take a week to reach first settlement day... and only then I get interest from the CD.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
Just live with the fact that I'm going to lose some interest after I sell out my SWVXX and before my first settlement date.
You don't have to. You can have a negative settlement account balance, I've done it here and there with bonds where I buy a new issue today and it doesn't settle for a week or two.

So for example, let's say I have $100k in settlement and buy $100k of new issue bonds that don't settle for 12 days. At that point, my settlemnt account shows as $100k beginning balance less $100k purchase for the bonds. I can call my broker and he can buy $100k of SWVXX even though my settlement account is $0. After that purchase I have $100k of SWVXX and my settlement account shows a balance of MINUS $100k, so they net to $0.

I just need to remember to sell $100k of SWVXX the day before the bond purchase settles. I usually set up a reminder on my calendar.

I've done if numerous times for bonds. Never for CDs but I would think you could do it for CDs too.

That way for that 12 days the $100k is earning the SWVXX yield rather than 0.4% of $0. Only about $150 but still an easy $150... just need to call my broker and do an online transaction later... 15 minutes work.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:30 PM   #25

TD Ameritrade (merging with Schwab) makes you hold money in their stinkin sweep account for limit orders on stock. That's one benefit of Vanguard which currently pays decent interest on their sweep account.

With regard to bonds, I haven't place an order before the money cleared, but if they like Vanguard, as long as the money shows up before the settlement date, the order goes through. (I just did that last week at Vanguard and had a negative balance in my settlement account for a bit.)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You don't have to. You can have a negative settlement account balance, I've done it here and there with bonds where I buy a new issue today and it doesn't settle for a week or two.

So for example, let's say I have $100k in settlement and buy $100k of new issue bonds that don't settle for 12 days. At that point, my settlemnt account shows as $100k beginning balance less $100k purchase for the bonds. I can call my broker and he can buy $100k of SWVXX even though my settlement account is $0. After that purchase I have $100k of SWVXX and my settlement account shows a balance of MINUS $100k, so they net to $0.

I just need to remember to sell $100k of SWVXX the day before the bond purchase settles. I usually set up a reminder on my calendar.

I've done if numerous times for bonds. Never for CDs but I would think you could do it for CDs too.

That way for that 12 days the $100k is earning the SWVXX yield rather than 0.4% of $0. Only about $150 but still an easy $150... just need to call my broker and do an online transaction later... 15 minutes work.

I tired this again. This time I managed to put my CD order in without having sufficient funds. I swear this didn't work the last time I tried this. I didn't see my balance go negative probably because this is after hours. I'm going to try to do what you did and sell out SWVXX just before settlement. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:17 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personally, concern about losing one day of interest when purchasing a CD is like worrying about waiting awhile longer for 5.0% when 4.9% is available today. Not being critical, it's just that it is easy to lose the big picture, which is having high MM and CD rates today (such a blessing) compared to a year ago. I try hard not to second guess &/or sweat the small stuff.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote