Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2022, 10:30 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Turns out most folks don't have enough umbrella insurance.

Geico ordered to pay 5.2M to a woman that got HPV in the car of a Geico customer.

She sued, since inside the car is insured, and she WON in arbitration , and like many losers in arbitration Geico took it to court, and was denied.

It doesn't say, but I bet the car owner didn't have $5.2Million in liability coverage..

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/geico-orde...170300926.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Geico ordered to pay 5.2M to a woman that got HPV in the car of a Geico customer.

She sued, since inside the car is insured, and she WON in arbitration , and like many losers in arbitration Geico took it to court, and was denied.

It doesn't say, but I bet the car owner didn't have $5.2Million in liability coverage..

GEICO wasn't a party to the arbitration proceeding...that $5.2 Million award is against him personally.

There's now a separate legal proceeding to determine if the nature of the claim is even eligible for coverage under his policy.

Even if covered it would be subject to policy limits and given his conduct I bet those are at the state minimum.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
GEICO wasn't a party to the arbitration proceeding...that $5.2 Million award is against him personally.

There's now a separate legal proceeding to determine if the nature of the claim is even eligible for coverage under his policy.

Even if covered it would be subject to policy limits and given his conduct I bet those are at the state minimum.
Reading the Kansas news vs the yahoo news does put a different flavor on the sequence of events.

If this stands, wow.... think of all the auto action that is suddenly going to be excluded in policies !

Neither story talks about the liability limit the car owner had, nor umbrella insurance, but at 5.2 Million dollars, which seems pretty firm now... Lots of people don't have that kind of coverage.

I do find that award excessive for a probably curable STD caught while engaged in consensual sex (but not knowing the risk, although isn't it always a risk with a new contact), what would have been paid out for a death
Old 06-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #164

Quote:
Reading the Kansas news vs the yahoo news does put a different flavor on the sequence of events.

If this stands, wow.... think of all the auto action that is suddenly going to be excluded in policies !

Neither story talks about the liability limit the car owner had, nor umbrella insurance, but at 5.2 Million dollars, which seems pretty firm now... Lots of people don't have that kind of coverage.

I do find that award excessive for a probably curable STD caught while engaged in consensual sex (but not knowing the risk, although isn't it always a risk with a new contact), what would have been paid out for a death
Assuming the amount stands, he'd just file BK to discharge whatever excess judgment remains.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Assuming the amount stands, he'd just file BK to discharge whatever excess judgment remains.
It will strip away whatever assets are not protected, and possibly garnish future wages if working.

Maybe he has a huge umbrella and this entire thing was a clever plot by him and his girlfriend
Old 06-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #166

Quote:
It will strip away whatever assets are not protected, and possibly garnish future wages if working.

Maybe he has a huge umbrella and this entire thing was a clever plot by him and his girlfriend
Sure, but BK ends (suspends) wage garnishment immediately on filing (BK lawyers advertise that heavily) & with any excess judgment discharged during the BK there's no judgment left afterwards which would warrant wage garnishment.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:40 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Does this mean now if someone gets HPV in the bedroom, collecting on the partner's homeowners insurance is fair game?
Old 06-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Does this mean now if someone gets HPV in the bedroom, collecting on the partner's homeowners insurance is fair game?
I'm thinking if I could pin getting Covid on someone, I've found a payday
Old 06-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm thinking if I could pin getting Covid on someone, I've found a payday
Don't joke too much about it.

Over the last two years I've had to sign a lot of COVID waivers when working in volunteer groups. It's for that exact reason, these organizations don't want a claim that "pins covid on them."

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I learned something about umbrella insurance recently. We reported a crime, the story made the local news. We are now witnesses for the local DA. The perpetrator has taken to social media saying they are going to serve us with a libel and slander suit because they are innocent and have been slandered as a result of the story. I consulted a lawyer and he said the suit would be frivolous because what we said is fact, but here is the interesting part. Libel and slander are excluded from my umbrella policy, but the insurance company has to defend me based on the policy, though they may not indemnify me. Meaning if the suit goes through, highly unlikely and more of a threat from the defendant, the umbrella will defend, though likely not fund, if a judgement happens. Interesting.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I learned something about umbrella insurance recently. We reported a crime, the story made the local news. We are now witnesses for the local DA. The perpetrator has taken to social media saying they are going to serve us with a libel and slander suit because they are innocent and have been slandered as a result of the story. I consulted a lawyer and he said the suit would be frivolous because what we said is fact, but here is the interesting part. Libel and slander are excluded from my umbrella policy, but the insurance company has to defend me based on the policy, though they may not indemnify me. Meaning if the suit goes through, highly unlikely and more of a threat from the defendant, the umbrella will defend, though likely not fund, if a judgement happens. Interesting.

Interesting. Do you mind saying which company the policy is with?
I think I’ll be digging through my policy this weekend.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Interesting. Do you mind saying which company the policy is with?
I think I’ll be digging through my policy this weekend.
Due to it being an active case, I am not going to add anymore, I hope you’ll understand, but it’s a carrier we all have heard of.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:42 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Due to it being an active case, I am not going to add anymore, I hope you’ll understand, but it’s a carrier we all have heard of.

I understand.
I just looked through my USAA policy, but not with a fine tooth comb. Didn’t see any specific exclusion like this, but need to read more closely. A project for the weekend.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:59 PM   #174
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. This seems like a blatant attempt to intimidate a witness.

It's another sad example how easily frivolous lawsuits can be filed against anyone under any pretext nowadays and underscores the importance of having an umbrella policy (even if it only covers the cost of defense in this case).

Best of luck to you on fighting this.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
Thanks for sharing. This seems like a blatant attempt to intimidate a witness.

It's another sad example how easily frivolous lawsuits can be filed against anyone under any pretext nowadays and underscores the importance of having an umbrella policy (even if it only covers the cost of defense in this case).

Best of luck to you on fighting this.
The DA told me it is not uncommon for defendants to file defamation suits against a witness because criminal actions and civil actions are separate and the evidence is treated differently.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:29 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I understand.
I just looked through my USAA policy, but not with a fine tooth comb. Didn’t see any specific exclusion like this, but need to read more closely. A project for the weekend.
Our USAA policy does cover libel and slander. Obviously, this may be different from state to state.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:34 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Our USAA policy does cover libel and slander. Obviously, this may be different from state to state.

I’m pretty sure ours does too after reading through it. Sometimes I’m just leery of the legalese that can be confusing.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=bobandsherry;2700150] Attorney said that having umbrella attracts more frivolous lawsuits

Curious....How would anyone know I had umbrella insurance?
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:54 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

I'm finding this recent news very disturbing. Is this "legal insurance" and not real insurance? If all they are doing is defending the claimant, but not paying for a judgement, what incentive does the insurance have to present a strong defense?

My umbrella specifically covers libel and slander. But now I'm not sure what "cover" means anymore...

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Libel and slander are excluded from my umbrella policy, but the insurance company has to defend me based on the policy, though they may not indemnify me. Meaning if the suit goes through, highly unlikely and more of a threat from the defendant, the umbrella will defend, though likely not fund, if a judgement happens. Interesting.
Good thing folks don't post any libelous or slanderous things on the Internet...