Question About Usign Multiple Fund Families

potto0213

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello Everyone!

After lurking about these forums and the Boglehead forum I have decided to take the plunge and redo my asset allocation more in line with the "Buy and Hold" strategists.

My question is: is there any value into splitting my portfolio amoung more than one fund family. Currently, I have my tax-deferred funds with T. Rowe Price and my taxable funds with Vanguard.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

potto, welcome.

Many here have funds with more than one company, and that occurs for a variety of reasons including the fact that you may start savings in one company but you j*b may only offer investment opportunities with different companies. Your situation is a case in point. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this approach, as long as you look at your investments as a whole and develop your allocations accordingly.

On the other hand, the benefits of one company is that it can be easier to keep track of your investments, and once your investments are sufficiently large, if consolidated, you can get better rates/fees with a larger single investment than from smaller investments in multiple locations.

Yes it makes sense.

Most of my choice accounts are with T Rowe Price. My Roth and rollovers in particular. They have a good, broad funds- for example Diversified Mid Cap Growth or Doversified Small Cap Growth. My AA is 15% assigned to each (15% mid cap and 15% small cap).

My next move is to find an aggressive fund in each space to turbocharge returns (10% to diversified fund and 5% to concentrated fund), then rebalance within that space as needed.

T Rowe does not have aggressive funds like these, so I will be using other MF holders or a brokerage to purchase them.

Single fund family: easy for you to monitor

Multiple fund families: noone is good at all things, and if you want options, you have to go outside to get them........noone has all the good strategies or managers........:)

Back
Top Bottom