Join Early Retirement Today

Question for TaxAct users
Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Question for TaxAct users

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase the premium version of TaxAct for doing my 2015 returns, since I will have some self-employment income to report. Just wondering if their current price of $39.99 is the best I can hope for, or would you anticipate some better deals being offered over the next few months?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

I have been a TaxAct user since 98 and have been happy with then until now. They seemed to have followed what TT did last year with the pricing and versions. I have seen better prices later in Jan and Feb.

But I think I will go to IRS freefile site, https://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-D...Taxes-for-Free. In Jan and see what is available that I can qualify for.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, I was going to ask the same thing. Hopefully whoever notices a price drop will post it so the rest of us can take advantage.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have an email from TaxAct in your archives, click on the link - the price for "Premium" is $19.99 when I do that, just navigating directly to the website it was $39.99. I pre-ordered what they called Deluxe back in May for $8.99, looks like now they call it Plus for $14.99 via my email link, or $29.99 via web navigation. Pre-ordering was a good deal, I've already got my 2015 taxes dialed in using the preview version.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
If you have an email from TaxAct in your archives, click on the link - the price for "Premium" is $19.99 when I do that, just navigating directly to the website it was $39.99.
I found several emails from TaxAct in my inbox from the last few months, but each time I tried this it just gave me the standard price of $39.99. Would you mind sharing the link you found in your email that resulted in the lower price? You should be able to right-click the link in your email and choose the "Copy link address" option from the popup menu.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I use TaxAct and constantly get notices to buy now for a special price. I went on line and found a promo code that was about 1/2 the price of their special price.

Do some searching before you buy.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

I'm not sure but I think it is ultimately free to use TAXACT. They let you prepare and e-file for free and only charge if you want them to save your return for future viewing. This is how it worked the last few years anyway maybe it is not the case anymore.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I'm not sure but I think it is ultimately free to use TAXACT. They let you prepare and e-file for free and only charge if you want them to save your return for future viewing. This is how it worked the last few years anyway maybe it is not the case anymore.
I use the free version and they only charge for the state return if you use it. I don't. The free version handles schedules A, D & E which is all I need. I print a copy for my records.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I use the free version and they only charge for the state return if you use it. I don't. The free version handles schedules A, D & E which is all I need. I print a copy for my records.
It used to. That is what the issue is. They changed the product pricing and packaging this year. The free version is only for EZ/A returns and the state return is an addition $15
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #10

My records show I pre-ordered on 6/26 and paid 18.99. Was then "upgraded" to TA Premium as I'd pre-ordered. Here's what was emailed to me:

Quote:

Our packages and prices are changing, and we've upgraded your order at no extra charge! Because you pre-ordered your TaxAct 2015 software, you'll get our most comprehensive package at the price you locked in. TaxAct Premium ($39.99 value) includes all the forms & features you need to file with confidence, including:

• TaxAct Preview Edition for year-end tax planning – available now!
• TaxAct's Q&A interview with all the latest tax law changes so you can easily calculate your taxes and maximize deductions before year end.
• Your enhanced TaxAct Account with easier navigation and additional resources.
• TaxAct import to transfer vital data from last year's returns for the quickest start.
I will pre-order again next year.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps TaxAct is far quicker on the draw than Intuit... I just checked their regular everyday pricing on www.taxact.com, and low and behold, basic 9.99, plus 14.99, and premium 19.99. No special access code or link needed.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Perhaps TaxAct is far quicker on the draw than Intuit... I just checked their regular everyday pricing on www.taxact.com, and low and behold, basic 9.99, plus 14.99, and premium 19.99. No special access code or link needed.
There is different pricing for the online version vs the desktop version...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
There is different pricing for the online version vs the desktop version...
Well, I guess I've got to take it all back... The pricing I quoted was for the online version. That wasn't real clear at a quick glance of the webpage.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
My records show I pre-ordered on 6/26 and paid 18.99. Was then "upgraded" to TA Premium as I'd pre-ordered. Here's what was emailed to me:

I will pre-order again next year.
I did the same preorder, deluxe with state for 18.99. The download I got was for premium, state still to come.

I wonder if they will provide as nice of pre-order. They have likely hit the point that they need to increase price to increase revenue. Probably not acquiring enough new customers.

I'm glad I decided to pre-order this year. It use to be a savings of about $2 to $4 off the packaged fed & state deals.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used TaxAct for the past 6 years...
I've learned to read their emails starting in the spring/summer, as that's when you can lock in their best rates for the next year.
Somewhere around June or July (?) I popped for the Fed/State package for $14.99 (2015 tax year).
I'm too lazy to do my own state taxes anymore.
Actually, it was their site/software that tipped me off to a property tax rebate I was entitled to. I had to file through our state's own revenue website last June and subsequently forgot about it, until last Friday when a $1500 deposit showed up in my bank account.
Yay TaxAct!!!
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
It used to. That is what the issue is. They changed the product pricing and packaging this year. The free version is only for EZ/A returns and the state return is an addition $15
Well that just sucks! Guess I'll be checking out irsfreefile.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Yeah... Pretty major price spike, going from $0 to $20 - $40 (depending on the features/forms you need). I suppose it was too much to hope for that their free model would go on forever. Now I'm just hoping to find some coupon or discount to make that jump from $0 to $40 a bit less painful for me. Even at $40 for "Premium", they are still cheaper than every other alternative I've looked into, so if I have to pay full price, I'll just bite the bullet.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #18

I find it interesting that they have added more e-file included with the products. So they gave something in addition. Hmmm, I don't need to file 5 federal returns. I wonder if I should have a tax party with some friends?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I find it interesting that they have added more e-file included with the products. So they gave something in addition. Hmmm, I don't need to file 5 federal returns. I wonder if I should have a tax party with some friends?

I do not know about the last few years, but the desktop version of a few years ago had 5 filings....

It is good when you have to do yours, your mom, a sister and a son.... and not pay for each filing...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #20

I usually watch Fat Wallet to find a post about Tax Act for the best pricing. The last few years is has been $11.99 for federal and state filing with the online version.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote