Question For You Achievers Pt II!

Tommy_Dolitte

Recycles dryer sheets
Question For You Achievers Pt II!

Greetings!   :D

Any advice on how to get monthly mortgage + kids' expenses to be less than or equal to $1,000 per month?  Assume 2-3 kids.

Also, any advice on how to cut child birth costs---not much found after "googling" *thinks...man, they've branded the search function....I need a Coke and Kleenex!*

I can not seem to crack this....   :'(

Thanks,
TD

Re:  Question For You Achievers Pt II!

. . . how to get monthly mortgage + kids' expenses to be less than or equal to $1,000 per month? Assume 2-3 kids.

Well, the obvious ones still work. Buy a 2-family and rent out the other side. Buy the kids' clothes (and your own) at thrift shops and tag sales. See if you can get by with one car. Live close to where you work (can you walk?) to save gas. Steer clear of amusement parks and expensive vacations and develop a taste for camping and picnics. Fill the cooler with something appealing every time you go somewhere and avoid the fast food traps!

About childbirth, that's tricky. Do you have health insurance? Are you sure this is an area where you want to cut costs? In many states, midwives are allowed to assist in home births, but that's definitely not for everybody. I'm sure if you live in an area with more than one hospital, you can shop around for costs. And midwives can absolutely assist safely at hospital births for much lower fees than obstetricians. The ob is nearby in case of complications.

Anne

Also, this may seem a little remote, but when things go wrong with having babies the costs go through the roof. So before getting pregnant, the mother-to-be should take multivitamins and extra folic acid.

(per the March of Dimes:)
Folic acid is a naturally occurring B vitamin that helps a baby's neural tube—the part of a developing baby that becomes the brain and spinal cord—develop properly. It must be taken before and during early pregnancy when the neural tube is developing.

and

Folic acid works, but it only works if taken before and during the first few weeks of pregnancy, when the neural tube is developing into the brain and spinal cord. When the neural tube does not close properly, a baby is born with a very serious birth defect called a neural tube defect. About 2,500 children are born each year in the United States with a neural tube defect. If all women took adequate folic acid before conception and during pregnancy, the number of babies born with a neural tube defect could drop by as much as 70 percent.

And (I hope) needless to say, she should not smoke, live with a smoker, and should cut way back on drinking alcohol. She should get plenty of calcium. She should not change the kitty litter or let the cats sleep on her bed during pregnancy.

There's plenty of literature out there about all this. But it's important to start the folic acid (and the general good health - not smoking and not drinking to excess) BEFORE pregnancy.

Um, it also reduces the risk of birth defects to have your children before the mother turns 35, but I am here to tell you that we can and do have healthy children after that. As a matter of minimizing risks, though, under 35 is preferable. I would personally also avoid chemicals (eg. stop doing haircoloring if you're a hairdresser, stop coloring your own hair, don't paint the nursery, move out of the house one night while Tommy paints the nursery, etc.).

Maybe this is a little far from what you had in mind, Tommy, but a little caution can save hundreds of thousands of dollars in birthing and raising a special needs child.

Cheers,
Anne

Easier answer: dont have a mortgage and dont have any kids.

Hahaha..I knew someone was going to post that...

::)

Back
Top Bottom