Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Question on Flagship services
Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are almost a year past Flagship level at Vanguard. I seem to remember there was a once a year portfolio review. Any other benefits beyond lower management fees? Looks like VG directs you to the PAS service. I guess if you have PAS sitting around it makes sense to use them

Is there a way to e mail them? I don't see it. So call only?

I am interested in making sure our portfolio throws off enough dividends and interest to support us in the style that Mrs Scrapr is accustomed to.

Is there any other "benefits" to Flagship? The website is pretty sparse there. It says ongoing advisory and portfolio management. Is that free or the .03% fee?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You’re entitled to a portfolio review, just email or call your rep, should be in the upper right corner once you log in. They don’t ask you.

There are fees if you want assistance with your portfolio, fund selection and the like. PAS is not complimentary, I think the fee is 0.3% (not 0.03%).

Here are the benefits, we’re ther specific benefits you were wondering about?

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...efits/flagship

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...ts/at-a-glance

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard PAS charges 0.30% and not 0.03% or 10 times higher than you wrote.

Also they apparently don't do much for the 0.30%:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...89802#p3689802

As for dividends and interest, I would guess that the Vanguard PAS folks would not fall for the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dividend_puzzle and would just sell shares to get the money that Mrs. Scrapr needs. Also they will sell to get the 0.30% that you have to pay them, too.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You’re entitled to a portfolio review, just email or call your rep, should be in the upper right corner once you log in. They don’t ask you.

There are fees if you want assistance with your portfolio, fund selection and the like. PAS is not complimentary, I think the fee is 0.3% (not 0.03%).

I'm not seeing any rep on our account. Probably have to establish that before it gets linked to our accounts.

I'm trying to evaluate a fee only adviser we have used vs "free" service from VG. I don't know where they kick in the PAS fee. We have several balls in the air and I should probably just let them settle before making major changes. I primarily want to make sure our portfolio is positioned to throw off cash.

I may just call to get acquainted
Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Vanguard PAS charges 0.30% and not 0.03% or 10 times higher than you wrote.

Also they apparently don't do much for the 0.30%:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...89802#p3689802

As for dividends and interest, I would guess that the Vanguard PAS folks would not fall for the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dividend_puzzle and would just sell shares to get the money that Mrs. Scrapr needs.
decimals points!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I'm not seeing any rep on our account. Probably have to establish that before it gets linked to our accounts.
I used to have a specific rep on my account, but received an email sometime last year that I was now available to contact a 'pool' of representatives instead of an individual. So I do not have anything at the top of my account now either.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I used to have a specific rep on my account, but received an email sometime last year that I was now available to contact a 'pool' of representatives instead of an individual. So I do not have anything at the top of my account now either.
So, do I understand correctly, that you are Flagship and are only getting call center staff?
Wow, if true, Flagship status has gotten diminished materially!
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #8

I'm used to top tier @ Schwab but if you don't get to have a designated rep @ Vanguard are you doing nothing more than a computerized review read off by call center?
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just give them a call and ask who your Flagship rep is. The CSR will realize that none has been assigned and get you transferred over to the flagship team and one will be assigned. Once that is done you can directly call or email your rep anytime.

I think they don’t have a good mechanism for triggering the Flagship status once the threshold is met, especially if it is spread across a handful of accounts. You just have to nudge them.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
So, do I understand correctly, that you are Flagship and are only getting call center staff?
That was my understanding.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I was thinking flagship used to include access to closed funds of Vanguard? Is this still true?
Old 01-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Not sure that's what's happening here. Flagship status isn't in perpetuity - one must continue to have more than $1M at vanguard. If not, eventually you'll be "downgraded", and stop having an assigned rep.

Having said that, I remember speaking with someone at Vanguard, that they won't throw a bunch of people off flagship in a market dip. They don't want to have a yoyo effect and also cheese off people.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
Administrator

A technicality, but Vanguard Flagship requires at least $1M invested in Vanguard products.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
Not sure that's what's happening here. Flagship status isn't in perpetuity - one must continue to have more than $1M at vanguard. If not, eventually you'll be "downgraded", and stop having an assigned rep.

Having said that, I remember speaking with someone at Vanguard, that they won't throw a bunch of people off flagship in a market dip. They don't want to have a yoyo effect and also cheese off people.
I didn't see anyone here talk about falling under $1M.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Even if you have a specific rep, the rep doesn't do the review. They give you a meeting with a CFP. Or at least they used to.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A technicality, but Vanguard Flagship requires at least $1M invested in Vanguard products.
That is an important technicality for all their levels, as I found out
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I spoke with Vanguard a few weeks ago about flagship status.I was particularly interested in what help my wife would have available if I were to die. I was told that there’s a tremendous amount of services still available and biggest being access to a CFP financial advisor anytime and as often as you want. Periodic reviews of investments, tax planning assistance for withdrawals and RMD guidance eventually all seemed doable without signing up for PAS. I hope this is the case.

I plan to have a review in the next several months before pulling the plug at work.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #18

Here's my experience for what it's worth. I had them review my portfolio just before we ER'd in 2008. I found it worth very little if you already have the knowledge needed to set your AA and understand the advantages of low cost and index funds.

They confirmed that I could withdraw the amount that I was planning to from my portfolio without depleting it in 30 years (or was it my lifetime - I don't remember) and they suggested moving to a portfolio of vanguard funds. I felt that they didn't consider the tax impact that I would suffer from making such a move in one year.

On the other hand, it was easy to set up and didn't take a lot of my time. Having another eyes look over my portfolio and confirm that I wasn't making a decimal point error somewhere eased my mind somewhat.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #19

Called this week and talked to Flagship. Took a couple calls to get through. But later in the week I got in. I wasn't especially impressed. I wanted the rep to explain what they would do. And if they would be a replacement for a fee only financial planner. Which immediately became a PAS sales pitch. Not what I wanted, but whatever.

I asked about sending a form with a stock basis. And sent that in

And then asked about seeing both of our accounts on one page. I know that some here have said they have switched to that recently. Got a message today that they don't do "household Accounts" anymore. I was tempted to rat out a few posters here that made it happen! But you all are safe

Overall I'd say it was about a C grade. I didn't feel rushed but I didn't feel listened to. The rep sent a form while we were on the phone asking which accounts I wanted to place in PAS. Which I never committed to anyway. Just looked at my account also and no committed rep on our account which means pool coverage

I will probably take a look at Schwab & Fidelity. I've got some balls in the air that I will let settle before doing anything
Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If it takes a "couple of calls" to even get through it ain't worth nothin'
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote