Join Early Retirement Today

Question on Short Duration Bond Fund
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question on Short Duration Bond Fund

Hi All--

I hope you can provide some advice. I have my traditional IRAs with Edward Jones and my FP has insisted I maintain a Hartford Short Duration Bond Fund (HSDAX) as part of my asset allocations. It is, I believe, a dog, and I'd really like to dump it for individual stocks that could potentially make more gains for my bottom line. The FP says it needs to be there for balance. I disgree, but would like other opinions. Thanks. prof12
prof12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What overall asset allocation are you targeting?
Will owning/not owning the bond fund in question materially impact your target AA?
Why are you paying a FA if you aren't happy with his recommendations?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof12 View Post
Hi All--

I hope you can provide some advice. I have my traditional IRAs with Edward Jones and my FP has insisted I maintain a Hartford Short Duration Bond Fund (HSDAX) as part of my asset allocations. It is, I believe, a dog, and I'd really like to dump it for individual stocks that could potentially make more gains for my bottom line. The FP says it needs to be there for balance. I disgree, but would like other opinions. Thanks. prof12
It's difficult to answer your question without knowing your circumstances and AA goal. However, I know for sure that you shouldn't be buying a bond fund with an up front load and an expense ratio of 0.85% HSDAX. Given your questioning of your FA and that recommendation why are you paying him/her? However, your desire to buy individual stocks rather than HSDAX does not inspire me with confidence assuming your FA was implementing a sensible AA strategy.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
It's difficult to answer your question without knowing your circumstances and AA goal. However, I know for sure that you shouldn't be buying a bond fund with an up front load and an expense ratio of 0.85% HSDAX. Given your questioning of your FA and that recommendation why are you paying him/her? ...
+1

I won't get into arguing any specific AA, but if you need a short-term bond fund for "balance" I would not pick a fund with (according to Morningstar) a 2% sales charge, above ave expense ratio, and over 20% of its holdings in >10yr maturity instruments.
Hartford Short Duration A Report (HSDAX) | Asset Allocation Summary
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, ERhoosier. You have crystalized what my "gut" told me. I suspected I was strongly encouraged to go with this because of the Edward Jones FP needing some extra money rather than having my interest as his primary focus. I own a boatload of shares and have seen less than $100. for my trouble.

Now that I'm retired, Vanguard is looking better and better. Thanks. prof12
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, ERhoosier. You have crystalized what my "gut" told me. I suspected I was strongly encouraged to go with this because of the Edward Jones FP needing some extra money rather than having my interest as his primary focus. I own a boatload of shares and have seen less than $100. for my trouble.

Now that I'm retired, Vanguard is looking better and better. Thanks. prof12
I suspect that your adviser was actually trying to implement some sort of AA plan, but was doing it with an expensive fund to make money for them self. Leaving Edward Jones for Vanguard would be a good move, just make sure you have a sensible plan. Owning a "boatload of shares" isn't a plan, you should have an AA that meets your risk/return requirements and that will probably include a short term bond fund.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

High quality short duration bond fund - VBISX. It doesn't do much either, but it's cheap and it holds steady or even appreciates when equities or low quality bonds crash - that would be the "balance" part.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
High quality short duration bond fund - VBISX. It doesn't do much either, but it's cheap and it holds steady or even appreciates when equities or low quality bonds crash - that would be the "balance" part.
Or VFSTX for sl better yield with shorter effective duration -
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT
Or Admiral shares version (sl better yield/lower expenses) if acct is large enough-
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Not going to find a whole lot of short term bond funds that do much which appreciation wise or yield wise. While frustrating now it will be quite satisfactory when interest rates ultimately rise. However, the 2% fee is basically going to insure that you lose money on a yearly basis. Find a cheaper alternative IMHO.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think you would be better off with a CD than this crappy fund or a short term bond fund.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked at Vanguard's side by side comparison for each of my mutual funds and this bond fund. The difference in the potential bottom line is both shocking and staggering. I see from another poster that they too are switching from Edward Jones to Vanguard. I will be calling Vanguard this next week to discuss moving my portfolio in kind. Thank you everyone for your honest, forthright and worthwhile help. Prof12
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I looked at Vanguard's side by side comparison for each of my mutual funds and this bond fund. The difference in the potential bottom line is both shocking and staggering. I see from another poster that they too are switching from Edward Jones to Vanguard. I will be calling Vanguard this next week to discuss moving my portfolio in kind. Thank you everyone for your honest, forthright and worthwhile help. Prof12
That would be a very smart thing to do. Also, visit the Boglehead forum. There is a thread that started over a year ago on the 3 fund portfolio. That would be a good place to start.
Brooks Saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I think you would be better off with a CD than this crappy fund or a short term bond fund.
Brewer, I took your advice from earlier threads, and have been doing exactly that. The yields are the same or better, and the CDs are FDIC insured.

Thanks!
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Or VFSTX for sl better yield with shorter effective duration -
Or Admiral shares version (sl better yield/lower expenses) if acct is large enough-
This is what I have (the Admiral version).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote