Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Question re: Toyota IncomeDriver Notes
Old 01-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Question re: Toyota IncomeDriver Notes

Just wondering if anyone has invested in Toyota Financial Services IncomeDriver Notes. I thought I saw someone mention them. If so, do you know ....

1. What the fees are for moving money in and out?

2. Can you buy/sell them as desired or are you required to hold onto them for a required time period?

Overall, what are the pros & cons?

Seize the day....Soli Deo gloria
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I did not invest to these Notes. But one CONS seems obvious: these investments are not backed by government. Which means, Toyota may decide to hold on them when things go wild for Toyota.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I started an application but never completed it. It was my understanding that there were no fees and I expected “normal” processing time for moving funds in and out. There were no penalties or restrictions AFAIK. I was hesitant to open another account and their rates dropped a bit.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have some... not a lot though because I have a lot tied up in CDs. Essentially like an online savings account but with some credit risk... but 1% higher return (1.5% vs 0.5%). I have some 1-year CDs maturng in May and some others in August and some of that money may go into these. No fees.

I don't view Toyota Motor Credit as a particular huge credit risk.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My Guaranteed Income Fund makes more than 1.5% right now. I could see where this might be tempting for those looking for short term cash interest-bump. Let us know how it works out, those of you who use it.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I used to do the same thing with Ford Credit promissary notes administered by a bank in Chicago. That was back in the high interest rate years. Ford Credit has always been Ford's best run division--and very profitable when other captive finance sources (GMAC & Chrysler Credit) folded.

I got an awakening when I found out my no income tax state (TN) had a 5% state income tax on income derived from outside the state.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I used to do the same thing with Ford Credit promissary notes administered by a bank in Chicago. That was back in the high interest rate years. Ford Credit has always been Ford's best run division--and very profitable when other captive finance sources (GMAC & Chrysler Credit) folded.

I got an awakening when I found out my no income tax state (TN) had a 5% state income tax on income derived from outside the state.
I am assuming you are referring to the Hall Tax on dividends and interest?
That is supposed to phase out completely this year. Can you confirm?

Thanks,

VW
Old 01-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

Thanks,

VW
Hall tax in TN has dropped by 1% each year from that 5% level. This tax year (2020) it's 1% of divs and income above $2500 for MFJ. Next year it is removed from the books.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

Thanks,

VW
Yes, phased out completely as of 1/1/2021.

Considering moving there to avoid my state's current 5.25% flat rate income tax.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

About Ford Credit money market, I also had money there in the early 2000s, when they paid a decent premium above the market interest rate.

I am trying to remember why I closed the account. Was it because I was worried about their credit rating, or because I needed the money? Maybe I moved the money to Zions Bank CD, which I felt had less risk?

Darn, my memory keeps slipping away from its "excellent" status.

Well, at least I still remember that I put some money at Ford Credit. At least, that counts for something.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quick update from OP...

I applied for a new account in Dec and didn't hear anything for a couple weeks and the application status showed 'pending'. I called them to find out the status and was told they needed additional documents for a 'CIP review'. (Why didn't they tell me instead of me calling) I sent them the docs (copy of DLs) and the account was opened and ready to go within a day or two. Yesterday I received mail from them dated mid-Dec asking for additional docs. (USPS sure do suck right now!)

Their website is easy to navigate and it's very easy and fast to transfer money in. I haven't attempted to withdraw anything yet.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Seize the day....Soli Deo gloria
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Similar story here... I applied and called 10 days later and they needed DLs and a utility bill... I emailed them those documents and they opened my account a day or two later.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My Guaranteed Income Fund makes more than 1.5% right now. I could see where this might be tempting for those looking for short term cash interest-bump. Let us know how it works out, those of you who use it.
Can you easily do deposits and withdrawals to your guaranteed income fund like an online savings account? If so, then that would be attractive... who is it with and is it still available to the public?

Old 01-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Can you easily do deposits and withdrawals to your guaranteed income fund like an online savings account? If so, then that would be attractive... who is it with and is it still available to the public?
Like mine, I believe most GIFs are typically within such plans as a 401(k). My GIF was created by (or for, anyway) MY 401(k) plan. It's not available to the public. I've never heard of GIFs being offered outside of a "plan" but I am not an expert. That's a main reason why I kept my 401(k) upon retirement. But, yes, I can transfer funds in and out, subject to other plan rules. Of course, I can't put more non-plan funds into it - I can just move funds within the plan (or completely out - but that's a one-way move.)

I only mentioned my GIF since that's where I keep MY cash and my GIF is doing better than IncomeDriver notes right now - otherwise, I might be tempted to look more closely at these notes. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a stable value fund in your 401k.... unfortunately not available to many of us. But a good reason to NOT do a rollover if your 401k has a good stable value fund.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like a stable value fund in your 401k.... unfortunately not available to many of us. But a good reason to NOT do a rollover if your 401k has a good stable value fund.
Yeah, only place I've found a GIF (Stable Value Fund). Doesn't yield a lot these days, but it always yields. I plan to keep 401(k) with GIF to the end. YMMV

Old 02-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Can anyone with the Toyota Income Driver (TID) account comment if check books are offered? Can you also pull or push money into the TID account externally? Thanks.
catotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I don't know on the former as I never considered getting a checkbook... but I don't think so.

On the second part, I have my TID account linked to my other main online savings account and can transfer money back and forth.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't know on the former as I never considered getting a checkbook... but I don't think so.

On the second part, I have my TID account linked to my other main online savings account and can transfer money back and forth.
Thanks.

I think I wasn't clear in my second question. Must all the transfers be initiated from the TID website? Or can they also be initiated from your bank, e.g. Ally bank.
catotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I don't know. I think for the transfers that I've done so far that I've initiated them from the TID website. What does it really matter? Isn't it six of one or a half-dozen of another?