Quick question about SS Survivor Benefits

mbnj77

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi all, this should be easy enough to find out but I am finding a whole lot more information than just the answer I'm looking for, especially on the SS website. But the answer is certainly important for planning.

I'm not really concerned about the potential for reduced benefits based on when either myself or DW files for SS, assuming it is still there in 10 years. We both work and have plenty of credits and will likely both file sometime between 62 and 67.

I just want to know if DW has filed, and is collecting her SS benefits, and I then assume room temperature sometime thereafter, does she ALSO collect survivor benefits? In a nutshell, does she get two income streams from SS upon my death?

I know this may be as basic as it gets but I just can't seem to find that clarification. Thanks very much.

She can only receive one. She will receive survivor benefit if it greater than her own.

Ok, thought it was too good to be true. Thanks much for the quick response.

Note that if one of you has earned substantially more than the other, you may find a small advantage in starting benefits at different ages.

And of course survivor benefits are maximized when the higher earner waits until 70 to claim their benefits.

Back
Top Bottom