Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
When the autodownloads stop in 2019 for those using 2017 versions, could we just not DL the QIF files instead of the QFX files from our financial institutions?
From the Quicken website, this applies to Quicken 2015-2017:.

Quote:
QIF import in Quicken is available only for asset and liability accounts (including houses and vehicles) and cash accounts. If you have Quicken Home & Business, you can use QIF files to import transactions into accounts payable accounts and invoice accounts.

You can also export and import lists, such as Security Lists or Category Lists, using the QIF format. QIF import is not available for checking, credit card, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #62

There are work arounds for importing QIF, by editing the QIF

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenc...nts-post-q2004

Many institutions no longer offer QIF, I think vanguard still allows a QFX download. If you can get CSV data there is a excel addon to convert to QIF , XL2QIF

In the initial 2018 canadian version they stated when the subscription ran out the data file was locked read-only so you could not even manually add transactions, think they reversed that but nothing says they can't do it in the future.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
There are work arounds for importing QIF, by editing the QIF

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenc...nts-post-q2004

Many institutions no longer offer QIF, I think vanguard still allows a QFX download. If you can get CSV data there is a excel addon to convert to QIF , XL2QIF
I'm probably cheaper than the next guy, but there's better things in life to spend my time on than manipulating files for import into Quicken. I'm sure I can scrounge some other way to save 50 smackers a year to cover subscription if need be.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #64

I've been watching the reviews on Amazon to see what I can learn. Most are one star reviews from people who admit they did not buy the product but are just annoyed with the subscription model. The few reviews I've seen of people using the product suggest there really aren't any meaningful differences between Quicken 2018 and the prior three years versions.

I can understand people not liking having to pay more than they previously paid, and that's never going to be an easy shift for a company to make. But the reality is we are not talking about a lot of money here. The real question I have is has the new company added any value by actually improving the product since they took over, and from what I can see in the reviews so far, the answer seems to be no.

The Windows product was always pretty robust, but the Mac version is still very primitive. I'll just stick with the 2017 version until they give me a reason to upgrade.
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I'm probably cheaper than the next guy, but there's better things in life to spend my time on than manipulating files for import into Quicken. I'm sure I can scrounge some other way to save 50 smackers a year to cover subscription if need be.
I agree. If $50/year derails a retirement plan, then it probably was not a good plan to begin with.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 2017 version is good for 2018, 2019 and the first quarter of 2020... hopefully Quicken will have some to their senses by then.

I have no problem with buying new software for improved functionality like the Quicken of old (say 20 years ago where each new year seemed to have some interesting new features).... but over the last decade the improvements have been nothing to write home about.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
That's why I love my BofA credit card with Shopsafe, which allows you to generate time & amount-limited CC #s.

Currently using the above for an Adobe subscription for my kid's photography class.
Good point, but that won't stop them from sending you to collections after a bug in *their* system fails to cancel your subscription (or if you forget/don't want to hassle with calling the Philippines to cancel).
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

The only difference I have seen so far between the 2018 and 2017 versions is that, as usual, some of the menus have been rearranged and functions moved. For example, in 2017 when you went to the Bills page there was a tab for the bills Quicken automatically downloaded for you (this feature never worked well, and I've stopped using it.) In 2018, the tab is gone, despite there being plenty of space for it. Instead you click on the gear icon and in the menu select Manage Online Billers. It took me forever to find this.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #69

Quicken has evolved much as Intuit was shopping them aggressively for a long time. They weren't going to make significant investment in something that they were going to sell, an especially on a product that contributed barely 1% of Intuits total revenue ($51 million).

Time will tell if HIG Capital will now make progress to advance the product. With their "subscription" based approach that could give them the incentive to do something more with the product. Not sure what HIG paid, hopefully it's far north of 2 years of "subscription" revenue that it generates so this is more than a play to churn and burn.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

If anyone is interested, I received an email advertising up to 40% off of Quicken 2018 at your favorite retailer and links to the Staples, Amazon, etc. websites. Amazon has a 27-month subscription for Deluxe at $66.29.
GoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
If anyone is interested, I received an email advertising up to 40% off of Quicken 2018 at your favorite retailer and links to the Staples, Amazon, etc. websites. Amazon has a 27-month subscription for Deluxe at $66.29.
I think if you buy Quicken 2017, you will get support and transaction downloads until early 2020.

So about 27 months or a little more.

Pretty sure you can get it now for less than $66.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

I refuse to reward Quicken for bad behavior (failure to fix bugs or do much else other than change their licensing strategy and change the color scheme). When they demonstrate that they have improved the product, I will willingly purchase their subscription.

IMO they cannot argue that they need money from subscriptions in order to improve the product, as the cost of improving the product should have been factored into their offer price when they bought it from Intuit (assuming they did their due diligence).
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I think if you buy Quicken 2017, you will get support and transaction downloads until early 2020.

So about 27 months or a little more.

Pretty sure you can get it now for less than $66.

Yup....I did this a couple of weeks ago. Found it for $20.29.

Every time I try something else I come back to the ease by which I can update all my accounts daily with the touch of a button. Only Quicken can do that for me. Now....is that worth paying for a subscription? Thatís a question I donít have to answer now until 2020.

Who knows, maybe by then something better will come along or Iíll have streamlined my accounts more...
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #74

Here's a nice deal on Quicken 2018.

Quicken Deluxe 2018 - Win/Mac - 2 Year Subscription $39.99 w/code EMCBBCC64

Quicken Premier 2018 - Win/Mac - 2 Year Subscription $59.99 w/code EMCBBCC65
Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
For those of you that keep Q* to get the online price updates for your Portfolios, a MUCH better Portfolio Management tool (IMHO) is Fund Manager. It's $99 (I think) ONE TIME, and you don't "have" to upgrade every couple of years.

Oh, and it's the "old fashioned" software that you BUY, not rent via a hostage..errr...subscription..model.

Really nice and very full featured program for investment management. I'm still running the 2014 version and have not "had" to upgrade yet as it does everything I want and then some..
You know, I had not heard of Fund Manager before, so I went to their website to check it out. It seems to be everything I've been trying to accomplish with Google Sheets, but much more advanced. Especially the reporting and flexibility, but with the privacy of offline portfolio management. I think I'm going to give it a try and see how it stacks up. Thanks!
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Here's a nice deal on Quicken 2018.

Quicken Deluxe 2018 - Win/Mac - 2 Year Subscription $39.99 w/code EMCBBCC64

Quicken Premier 2018 - Win/Mac - 2 Year Subscription $59.99 w/code EMCBBCC65

Thanks I was so going to quite Quicken but that is a deal so now I'm signed up for 2 more years.. guess it gives me time to work on an alternative
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Basic question: I have been using Quicken since DOS days. I only use it as a backup check register both for my personal hard copy, and mostly to provide end-of-year to my accountant for basic P/L statement and check register. If I never upgrade from 2016 (my current version) again, will I always be able to do these simple tasks without Quicken HQ disrupting that process?
Much thanks, Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I think you will have to manually enter all the transactions.

They won't let you manually import CSV or QFX/OFX files without you setting up automatic downloads.

And automatic downloads are supported for only a couple of years for each version before they make you buy.

Quicken has become rent-seekers.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #79

If you missed the first deals, here's another chance (apparently today only, Feb. 3, 2018) as the Deluxe product is an Amazon "Deal of the Day" today -- 27 months for $44.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Delux.../dp/B075NCB8ZM
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
... I have no problem with buying new software for improved functionality like the Quicken of old (say 20 years ago where each new year seemed to have some interesting new features).... but over the last decade the improvements have been nothing to write home about.
The whole point of these subscription models is that the vendors are admitting that they can no longer provide upgrades that are attractive enough that people will pay for them. Hence, they need to create the revenue stream that they cannot earn though merit by going the subscription route.

An inevitable side effect of this is that they are no longer under very much pressure to invest in upgrades as they no longer get paid for doing them. IOW, it will be very attractive to them to simply milk the product without investing in it.

This strategy works best for software that dominates its segment, like Adobe's and, now, Quicken. Where there are competing products, like in PDF writers, it is not so easy for a vendor to succeed in forcing subscriptions because users will simply jump to a competitor.

There is reason for optimism, though. With Adobe the forced subscription model and consequent angry customers have encouraged a number of vendors to introduce LightRoom workalike software that is looking quite good. I expect that the same thing will happen in Quicken's segment as the market is clearly there and anxious to pay for a good Quicken workalike.

Incidentally, get ready to pay up for your Windows subscription too. Microsoft has been emphasizing "Windows is a service." for a couple of years. Windows subscriptions are the inevitable outcome.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quicken 2018