Quicken 2018 available

I don’t like the subscription model, but will probably sign on once my Quicken 2016 sunsets. Downloading and matching transactions makes balancing the accounts so much easier / faster that it would be silly for me to not pay the thirty bucks per year. My time is worth at least that much.

There may be ways to manually get around the sunset issue by importing. For stock prices google finance portfolio has the option to download an OFX file. For transactions most financial sites have an option to download OFX files ( Schwab does not ) or CSV data files. there are conversion tool for CSV to QIF/OFX.

Or you can do it manually as I have been doing since April with my 2014 version. It takes 15 minutes or so for me to input investment transactions and update quotes at the end of the month.

Just as an FYI : I purchased a subscription today with the intent of deciding in a year if I want to continue the subscription or just use the limited features. Quicken automatically sets your account to auto-renew at whatever price is current at the time of renewal. You could change every account setting online except for the auto-renew option. To remove auto-renew you have to call customer service which resulted in a very long wait to reach a representative then the representative put me on hold for several minutes before finally taking my account off of the auto-renew status.

It's reported by a user on Quicken's support forum that Quicken has made change. The user reported that since installing Q18 the auto renew was set to on, but when he logged into his Quicken account this morning the auto renew is now set to "off". I do not have Q18 so can't validate but maybe someone else here can.

I have Quicken 2018. You are offered a month free when you turn on auto-renew. When you log in to your quicken.com account there's a link for turning off auto-renew, but indeed it then asks you to call. This is, sadly, becoming more and more common with the intent to convince you to stay.

Or you can do it manually as I have been doing since April with my 2014 version. It takes 15 minutes or so for me to input investment transactions and update quotes at the end of the month.
Maybe I'll go to that model. My daily update of quotes is too much anyway. Just noise. Not necessary.

I have less than 15 securities to update. Once a month, not a big deal. I've done transactions manually since I started doing them that way in 1993 and never got out of the habit when download became available.

Last edited:
I am pretty picky about who I give permission to suck money from my credit card (and never from my bank account). Quicken is definitely one of the companies I would not trust to do the right thing (along with Comcast, Vonage, DirecTV, etc.).

They probably make you call to cancel also.

Maybe I'll go to that model. My daily update of quotes is too much anyway. Just noise. Not necessary.

I have less than 15 securities to update. Once a month, not a big deal. I've done transactions manually since I started doing them that way in 1993 and never got out of the habit when download became available.

I actually stopped downloading transactions for a couple of years and was only updating quotes until April. With all the hacking and cyber security issues I only provide my user IDs and passwords to my banks and investment institutions but never to a 3rd party.

I am pretty picky about who I give permission to suck money from my credit card (and never from my bank account). Quicken is definitely one of the companies I would not trust to do the right thing (along with Comcast, Vonage, DirecTV, etc.).

They probably make you call to cancel also.

That's why I love my BofA credit card with Shopsafe, which allows you to generate time & amount-limited CC #s.

Currently using the above for an Adobe subscription for my kid's photography class.

When the autodownloads stop in 2019 for those using 2017 versions, could we just not DL the QIF files instead of the QFX files from our financial institutions?

When the autodownloads stop in 2019 for those using 2017 versions, could we just not DL the QIF files instead of the QFX files from our financial institutions?

They're going to close that "loophole."

From the Quicken website, this applies to Quicken 2015-2017:.

QIF import in Quicken is available only for asset and liability accounts (including houses and vehicles) and cash accounts. If you have Quicken Home & Business, you can use QIF files to import transactions into accounts payable accounts and invoice accounts.

You can also export and import lists, such as Security Lists or Category Lists, using the QIF format. QIF import is not available for checking, credit card, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts.

There are work arounds for importing QIF, by editing the QIF

https://getsatisfaction.com/quicken...t-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004

Many institutions no longer offer QIF, I think vanguard still allows a QFX download. If you can get CSV data there is a excel addon to convert to QIF , XL2QIF

In the initial 2018 canadian version they stated when the subscription ran out the data file was locked read-only so you could not even manually add transactions, think they reversed that but nothing says they can't do it in the future.

There are work arounds for importing QIF, by editing the QIF

https://getsatisfaction.com/quicken...t-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004

Many institutions no longer offer QIF, I think vanguard still allows a QFX download. If you can get CSV data there is a excel addon to convert to QIF , XL2QIF
I'm probably cheaper than the next guy, but there's better things in life to spend my time on than manipulating files for import into Quicken. I'm sure I can scrounge some other way to save 50 smackers a year to cover subscription if need be.

Last edited:
I've been watching the reviews on Amazon to see what I can learn. Most are one star reviews from people who admit they did not buy the product but are just annoyed with the subscription model. The few reviews I've seen of people using the product suggest there really aren't any meaningful differences between Quicken 2018 and the prior three years versions.

I can understand people not liking having to pay more than they previously paid, and that's never going to be an easy shift for a company to make. But the reality is we are not talking about a lot of money here. The real question I have is has the new company added any value by actually improving the product since they took over, and from what I can see in the reviews so far, the answer seems to be no.

The Windows product was always pretty robust, but the Mac version is still very primitive. I'll just stick with the 2017 version until they give me a reason to upgrade.

I'm probably cheaper than the next guy, but there's better things in life to spend my time on than manipulating files for import into Quicken. I'm sure I can scrounge some other way to save 50 smackers a year to cover subscription if need be.

I agree. If $50/year derails a retirement plan, then it probably was not a good plan to begin with.

My 2017 version is good for 2018, 2019 and the first quarter of 2020... hopefully Quicken will have some to their senses by then.

I have no problem with buying new software for improved functionality like the Quicken of old (say 20 years ago where each new year seemed to have some interesting new features).... but over the last decade the improvements have been nothing to write home about.

That's why I love my BofA credit card with Shopsafe, which allows you to generate time & amount-limited CC #s.

Currently using the above for an Adobe subscription for my kid's photography class.

Good point, but that won't stop them from sending you to collections after a bug in *their* system fails to cancel your subscription (or if you forget/don't want to hassle with calling the Philippines to cancel).

The only difference I have seen so far between the 2018 and 2017 versions is that, as usual, some of the menus have been rearranged and functions moved. For example, in 2017 when you went to the Bills page there was a tab for the bills Quicken automatically downloaded for you (this feature never worked well, and I've stopped using it.) In 2018, the tab is gone, despite there being plenty of space for it. Instead you click on the gear icon and in the menu select Manage Online Billers. It took me forever to find this.

Quicken has evolved much as Intuit was shopping them aggressively for a long time. They weren't going to make significant investment in something that they were going to sell, an especially on a product that contributed barely 1% of Intuits total revenue ($51 million).

Time will tell if HIG Capital will now make progress to advance the product. With their "subscription" based approach that could give them the incentive to do something more with the product. Not sure what HIG paid, hopefully it's far north of 2 years of "subscription" revenue that it generates so this is more than a play to churn and burn.

If anyone is interested, I received an email advertising up to 40% off of Quicken 2018 at your favorite retailer and links to the Staples, Amazon, etc. websites. Amazon has a 27-month subscription for Deluxe at $66.29.

If anyone is interested, I received an email advertising up to 40% off of Quicken 2018 at your favorite retailer and links to the Staples, Amazon, etc. websites. Amazon has a 27-month subscription for Deluxe at $66.29.

I think if you buy Quicken 2017, you will get support and transaction downloads until early 2020.

So about 27 months or a little more.

Pretty sure you can get it now for less than $66.

I refuse to reward Quicken for bad behavior (failure to fix bugs or do much else other than change their licensing strategy and change the color scheme). When they demonstrate that they have improved the product, I will willingly purchase their subscription.

IMO they cannot argue that they need money from subscriptions in order to improve the product, as the cost of improving the product should have been factored into their offer price when they bought it from Intuit (assuming they did their due diligence).

I think if you buy Quicken 2017, you will get support and transaction downloads until early 2020.

So about 27 months or a little more.

Pretty sure you can get it now for less than $66.

Yup....I did this a couple of weeks ago. Found it for $20.29.

Every time I try something else I come back to the ease by which I can update all my accounts daily with the touch of a button. Only Quicken can do that for me. Now....is that worth paying for a subscription? That’s a question I don’t have to answer now until 2020.

Who knows, maybe by then something better will come along or I’ll have streamlined my accounts more...

For those of you that keep Q* to get the online price updates for your Portfolios, a MUCH better Portfolio Management tool (IMHO) is Fund Manager. It's $99 (I think) ONE TIME, and you don't "have" to upgrade every couple of years.

Oh, and it's the "old fashioned" software that you BUY, not rent via a hostage..errr...subscription..model.

Really nice and very full featured program for investment management. I'm still running the 2014 version and have not "had" to upgrade yet as it does everything I want and then some..
You know, I had not heard of Fund Manager before, so I went to their website to check it out. It seems to be everything I've been trying to accomplish with Google Sheets, but much more advanced. Especially the reporting and flexibility, but with the privacy of offline portfolio management. I think I'm going to give it a try and see how it stacks up. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom