Quicken???

Many moons ago, I used Managing Your Money until it went away (I did love it though).
I'm still using it!

I wanted to come into the current century, but I found out that Quicken does not let you export your data. That's a show-stopper for me. I don't want anybody holding my data hostage for an upgrade.

Just got an email from Costco showing a $20 discount on Quicken making 2014 Premier $49.99. There's $2.99 S&H additional. Not sure if it's the same discount in store to avoid shipping because the e-mail said "online-only offers."

Tada! I just checked. Unless I was going blind, I did not see that discount yesterday. Thanks for mentioning it.

PS. Order already placed, and on its way tomorrow.

Last edited:
You have to be quick, but Amazon prices change pretty frequently.
I ordered TurboTax Deluxe with State and E-File the other day for $39.99, free shipping.
I notice it's back up to $49.97 now, but keep watching if you want a deeper discount.

It looks to be available from amazon now for 49.99 + free shipping. I think costco has an additional charge for non-members ?

Amazon.com: Quicken Premier 2014 [Download]: Software

Although we are currently members, previously we were permitted to purchase from Costco.com without a membership, plus we could use a regular credit card. I don't know if this varies by state, but that was our experience in CA.

So, I got Quicken Premier 2014 from Costco for $58.53 including tax+shipping. It appears to run a bit faster than my old copy of Quicken 2011. Have not noticed any new and significant feature yet.

I picked up Quicken Premier 2014 a few months ago as my old version was about to lose the online connectivity which I use daily.

Not too happy with the upgrade. Seems very slow to refresh, fonts are different size in every account and you only get two options...large or small. In the lifetime planner some of the data won't fit in the box and there is no way of making the window larger. Also seem to lose my Wells Fargo connection every time I shut the computer off and have to go in and reactivate the online connection.

So far I'm pretty unhappy with 2014 and if you look on the Quicken site it appears as though a lot of other people are in the same camp.

Last edited:
Most of the reviews have been bad, they would be better off just offering the online services as a standalone subscription and stop putting out useless software updates.

And it gets worse if you have a Mac. I do have Quicken 2014 now running on my Mac, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I just got Quicken Premier 2014 for $49.99 on Amazon (free shipping). I will wait until they work the bugs out before installing it though (running it on a Mac with Parallels). My Quicken 2011 should work until April, I think.

And it gets worse if you have a Mac. I do have Quicken 2014 now running on my Mac, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I guess this answers my question. I wanted to go "all Mac" - but with Quicken history going back to 1995, I guess I'll have to keep one PC going.

Kindest regards.

Most of the reviews have been bad, they would be better off just offering the online services as a standalone subscription and stop putting out useless software updates.
People bitching about the only piece of software that does all of what it does in one integrated package (which is an accurate description of Quicken Premier) isn't surprising. The online service they have doesn't do many of the things that only Quicken Premier does.

When a piece of software becomes complicated, bugs are more difficult to find.

Just now, I look at my Quicken screen and see that I have never clicked on the tabs called "Bills", "Planning", and "Property & Debts". I used it mostly for "Investing", and "Spending". If the last two work, I am happy.

....We use credit cards for 99% for our expenses (what we spend in cash is minuscule and not worthwhile to track), and Quicken can download all transactions off the banks, and automatically classifies the expenses for us. For example, it "knows" that what we spent at Safeway is for groceries, and at a Shell station is for gas. If I had to do it by hand, I would not track everything because it's too much work.

We also have several tIRAs, Roth IRAs, 401ks, and brokerage accounts, and as I hold individual stocks, the trouble Quicken or any other software for that matter saves me from having to enter in all the dividend payouts is worth the cost. And I love to be able to search up any expense I incurred, any check we wrote, or to call up the gain/loss and income from any account, or to look back at any stock transaction.

In other words, there are other software that can help minimize my data entry, and Quicken just happens to be the one I use. And I have to use one, in order to save me time to surf the Web.

+1 Virtually all of our bank, credit card and investment accounts are defined in Quicken and update automatically with One-Step Update so I can easily see where we stand financially. ATM withdrawals for cash get categorized to "Spending Money" and is only about 4% of our total spending.

The "service" I receive from the software is well worth the $20-25 annual cost even though there are aspects of the software that drive me crazy.

+1 Virtually all of our bank, credit card and investment accounts are defined in Quicken and update automatically with One-Step Update so I can easily see where we stand financially. ATM withdrawals for cash get categorized to "Spending Money" and is only about 4% of our total spending.

The "service" I receive from the software is well worth the $20-25 annual cost even though there are aspects of the software that drive me crazy.

Well put.

I really don't understand people spending their time complaining about things they do not like. That statement is not limited to Quicken, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom