Quicken & S&P 500 Index Fund help needed

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 401(k) is administered by Mercer. Last night when I downloaded my investment updates, my 401(k) increased by approximately 10 fold. :dance:
I was ready to retire this morning. Alas, it's a fluke.

There's a new S&P 500 Fund they rolled out in December (and moved money into it out of another fund they closed), and when I log onto my account via Mercer's website, it says the close today is $9.67, and there is no ticker symbol. However, when my account downloads to Quicken, it's entering the actual S&P close today, which was 2,025. Quicken is recognizing the ticker symbol as INX, even though Mercer isn't sending one. I called them today, and they were ZERO help since Quicken is a "third party product".

How do I fix this? Sorry, if I didn't explain well. I'll check back to answer questions. Thanks in advance.

If there is no ticker the only solution that I know of is to input the prices manually. :mad:

I like to enter 401k-only funds as a comparable retail fund, with the number of shares determined by the total value of the fund. Then biweekly I adjust the number of shares to true up Quicken with the 401k value. If you have a good match it only takes a small fraction of a share to match total values. If you don't have a good match it's probably easier just to enter your own prices.

I have this issue with a couple of no-symbol funds in my 401K. Annoying, but I just update manually in Quicken.

Are you using the auto download feature or are you pulling a "Web Connect File" and importing it into Quicken?

If you are using the auto update feature, you should see if you can create a "Web Connect File" from your 401K plan (usually if they auto update Quicken, they also have a way to create this file).

Anyway once you have a web connect file, it is a text file that you can open up and take a look at. You could then search for the "INX" symbol to make sure they aren't sending it. Next I would search for the price that it is supposed to be (e.g. 9.67 or what ever the current price is). Once you locate the fund, you can see what type of information they are sending in.

I guess one of the first things to do is actually see what "Ticker" quicken has for the fund. Does Quicken have they symbol "INX" associated to it? If so, remove it. If you have verified that "INX" is not in the web connect file, you could try to import it and see if you can associate the fund coming in from your 401K with the fund you already have in Quicken for it.

Another option would be to modify your fund in Quicken to a "dummy" ticker symbol and then edit the web connect file and put in a that dummy ticker symbol for the fund. In my 401k web connect file, it has a line above the fund price of <TICKER>XXXXX</TICKER>. Of course you may need to do this each time you upload the file. But maybe as long as quicken has the ID coming in from the 401K for the fund associated correctly with the fund in Quicken it will be OK

There is a "uniqueid" coming in from the web connect file I get from my 401K for each fund. I'm pretty sure this ID is associated in Quicken. After looking at what is in the web connect file, as a last resort you might also try removing the fund in Quicken and see if the web connect file will load it back in correctly.

So I guess my questions are:

• In Quicken, what ticker symbol is assigned
  • In Web Connect file, what ticker <TICKER> is assigned (if any)
  • In Web Connect file, is there a <UNIQUEID> assigned for the fund
  • If there is a <UNIQUEID> assigned - when you search the web connect file for this uniqueid can you ever find a place in the file that has this ID associated with a <TICKER> line?
If there is no UNIQUEID, I'm not sure anything can be done. But I would think as long as there is a UNIQUEID there is hope that it can be associated with the fund in Quicen.

Now that I've said all this - you could just try putting in a dummy ticker in Quicken for the fund and then and then just try to load in the data from the 401K plan (how ever you usually do). If the fund comes in as a new fund, say you want to associate it to the one you already have in Quicken. Then I would verify that it didn't change the dummy Ticker you set.

Back
Top Bottom