Quicken Deluxe 2016

Actually, I don't think it is asking too much to ask Quicken to make it possible to export a data file that works. Why do they have that function if it can't be used for anything. So, yes, I honestly expect them to provide something that works. Is there any other investment tracking product out there where I can import a Quicken file? If not, then they are effectively forcing people to stay.

I feel your pain, but that's the way it is when you're the top dog. Do you think Microsoft gives a care whether Google sheets can import and Excel file? That's the importers problem. You want to take business, you have to make it easy for the current user to switch. As you point out, Quicken has no incentive to make it easy for you to leave.

Actually, I don't think it is asking too much to ask Quicken to make it possible to export a data file that works.

Moneyspire seems to think importing a Quicken file is a breeze, at least that's part of their sales pitch to get you to buy their product.

Easily move from Quicken®, Mint® & more

Moneyspire lets you easily move from your existing personal finance software with its extensive importing options.

Maybe the paths of least resistance/pain are 1) start from scratch with Moneyspire by re-entering your data/info (forget importing) or 2) pay for the Quicken product after researching available current prices.

[ADDED] Looking back, it seems you’ve already paid for Quicken. If true, if I were you I’d be working with that and make sure everything’s OK right now.

Last edited:
Maybe the paths of least resistance/pain are 1) start from scratch with Moneyspire by re-entering your data/info (forget importing) or 2) pay for the Quicken product after researching available current prices.

[ADDED] Looking back, it seems you’ve already paid for Quicken. If true, if I were you I’d be working with that and make sure everything’s OK right now.

Thanks for helping me think this through. I didn’t pull the trigger on the Quicken subscription because it bugged me that they were forcing me to give up 2.5 months of my current product. But, I have way too many transactions to start from scratch. So, I don’t think I have any other options than to go ahead and sign up for Quicken. The last remaining question is whether to go with the current discount even though it starts immediately or to wait until I don’t have anymore downloads and risk a higher price.

Thanks for helping me think this through. I didn’t pull the trigger on the Quicken subscription because it bugged me that they were forcing me to give up 2.5 months of my current product. But, I have way too many transactions to start from scratch. So, I don’t think I have any other options than to go ahead and sign up for Quicken. The last remaining question is whether to go with the current discount even though it starts immediately or to wait until I don’t have anymore downloads and risk a higher price.

I’d bite the bullet and do it now just so you can put this to rest. You’ve spent enough time thinking about this. You made your decision. Lock it in and move on.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

The last remaining question is whether to go with the current discount even though it starts immediately or to wait until I don’t have anymore downloads and risk a higher price.

You’re welcome. It’s all annoying but not the end of the world, there are more important things to spend your time on.

I’d keep your current subscription, use it, and keep your eyes open for deals. Worst case you may have to do a few manual entries if it expires but that should be easy. My subscription will end in 2020 and I’ll be right in your shoes!

What price is Quicken quoting? May find same or better deal on purchasing the CD and getting license key and apply that as your current version expires.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I just pulled the trigger and bought a 2 year subscription for $59.99. I don’t love it. But, it is the only game in town.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I just pulled the trigger and bought a 2 year subscription for $59.99. I don’t love it. But, it is the only game in town.

I don’t download any transactions or stocks, etc. so I’ll milk my 2016 version for awhile but the minute I can’t use it how I want to, I’ll suck it up and buy the subscription. It is the best, even for basic use. Couple that with history and it would take a lot to walk away from it.

Looks like some posters to this thread have come to personal decisions that satisfy them. It’s a recurring topic that’s broader than a specific edition (Deluxe) from a specific year (2016) by a specific company (Quicken, not Intuit, going forward).

It’s been an instructive thread for me, regardless of individual thoughts/choices.

[ADDED] I just checked Quicken’s website to see the current prices for various editions and what “sales” are on. It’s like a price discovery game (I feel that this where is the dislike for the “subscription” model arises). Might be helpful to start a thread tracking prices that e-r members are seeing, sort of like the best CD/MMF thread.

Last edited:
Moneyspire seems to think importing a Quicken file is a breeze, at least that's part of their sales pitch to get you to buy their product.
A new, clean Quicken file probably would be a breeze. My file has roots in the 1990s. It has so much garbage in it Quicken can't clean it up. It has failed whenever I have tried to import it to another program. My old computers can only handle 4 or 5 years of checking and credit card transactions so that gets archived periodically. The investment and asset data lives on, including ugly stuff deep in the data file. The good news is that all my investments are in IRAs so I don't need to track individual purchases. On top of that, my investment accounts reconcile. So if I want to keep the old investment data I am stuck with Quicken.

I just bought a two-year subscription to Quicken. I like the download functionality, it makes it very quick to reconcile my accounts. The time saved is well worth the price of the subscription for me.

I suspect that is the way that I will go when the time comes (I'm running Quicken 2017).... the download functionality is worth it to me.

I use GnuCash for our lake association books... its ok, but really not much better than an Excel workbook.

I purchased Quicken Deluxe from Walmart for $22 so far so good. I think this is the last year of purchasing the software, and believe they're just going to do updates going forward, through a subscription model.
Does anyone know what the yearly subscription costs will be?

I purchased Quicken Deluxe from Walmart for $22 so far so good. I think this is the last year of purchasing the software, and believe they're just going to do updates going forward, through a subscription model.

Quicken 2017 was the last year you could buy without a subscription. You can still find them sometimes on eBay etc.

The $22 Walmart deal was (is) for a subscription, 1 user for 1 year. That is why some where purchasing multiple's so that they can stack the years.

I was doing a feature comparison of Quicken for Windows versions at quicken.com and noticed that it lists “Track cost basis and create Schedule D tax reports” as available only in Premier and above.

This seems unusual to me because if you enter security purchases in your accounts you should have the cost basis. I wonder if the only incremental benefit to Premier in this area is the Schedule D report. I can’t tell because I currently use Premier.

Can any Deluxe users clarify?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom