Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken Deluxe 2016
Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Quicken Deluxe 2016

So, how long can I keep using Quicken 2016? I get the constant request to upgrade, but I just don’t want to or think I need to. I don’t want a subscription payment model and I don’t use the connected services. Basically I use it like a glorified spreadsheet. It’s a great check register and reporting tool.

I’m assuming at some point they’ll stop supporting it, but then what? Won’t I still be able to use it? I still have Microsoft Office 2007 and while not supported, it’s still doing what it did the day I bought it and I’m fine with that.

When will Quicken break? When I get my next computer and try to reinstall it on the new machine? When some upgrade to Windows 10 comes along? I’m thinking I may take this computer off line and just keep it for things like Quicken. I’ve read of people doing that with old programs and Windows 7, or XP.

Would appreciate insight on how to plan on this. I don’t want to lose the functionality of Quicken and I really don’t want to lose the history it holds. Seems like you wouldn’t need it, but we’ve gone back and answerd questions like who was that contractor who did the concrete work 10 years ago, and they were still working.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used Quicken 2006 for 11 years. Bought 2016 when I got a new computer. I just got a notice that my links to my brokerage accounts will stop working on the 4/30, so I might bite the bullet and start doing the subscription thing. Haven't decided yet.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

I've been using Quicken 2010 since well, 2010 - works fine and I have installed it in multiple computers as one dies or I upgrade the hard drive. Of course, it has no connectivity to download data from internet sources but I never used that feature anyway. Assuming that Q 2016 works the same way all that will happen is that functionality of internet connection will be lost, unless Quicken built some kind of poison pill into the Q 2016 version that would cause the program to cease functioning.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I've been using Quicken 2010 since well, 2010 - works fine and I have installed it in multiple computers as one dies or I upgrade the hard drive. Of course, it has no connectivity to download data from internet sources but I never used that feature anyway. Assuming that Q 2016 works the same way all that will happen is that functionality of internet connection will be lost, unless Quicken built some kind of poison pill into the Q 2016 version that would cause the program to cease functioning.
So, I’m assuming that all you get is the version that comes on the CD, right out of the box. No updates to something like the last supported version. I wonder if the is a way to download the updates in a way so as to be able to reinstall them after loading the original CD. I guess, however, if the original CD works for the basic need I have, then no problem. My fear would be that it won’t read the data file or be able to install the backup because it would be from a later version than what’s on the CD.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 PM   #5

you should be able to use it forever but as you noted it will become an orphan if it hasn't already. and if you use it to export into TurboTax you might find that feature crippled as well.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If software is phoning home, at some point they can turn it off. In the old days you could keep working, but I would not assume that something will work forever.

For example, if 2006 Quicken still works for someone, that does not mean your 2016 Quicken will still work in 2026. The OS could also change, and require an update to the latest version.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I’ve used Quicken for over 20 years and find it valuable enough to continue with a subscription model. I think of it as more than a spreadsheet, instead a database with a lot of views. The only online features I use are quotes and updates to Quicken itself (you lose those when your license expires). No transaction downloading.

I like the integration with Morningstar Portfolio X-Ray although using Morningstar directly is more comprehensive.

So I “bite the bullet” (more fun to say “blow that dough”) for Quicken.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #8

Quicken policy: https://www.quicken.com/support/quic...nuation-policy

From that page:
Quote:
What if I do not upgrade before the service discontinuation date?

Listed above are the version years and the corresponding service discontinuation dates when your online services will no longer work. When you upgrade to a newer version, your services will be fully reinstated. While you can upgrade after the discontinuation date, it is best to upgrade to the latest release as soon as possible in order to get the most benefit from Quicken products.

If you do not need access to live technical support or online services, you can continue to use your existing version of Quicken.
And
Quote:
What Quicken services will be discontinued?

The following services will be discontinued:

Online bill pay
Downloading financial data from your bank, credit union, credit card, brokerage, 401(k) or mutual fund accounts
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com
Live Support
Software patches and updates
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
So, I’m assuming that all you get is the version that comes on the CD, right out of the box. No updates to something like the last supported version. I wonder if the is a way to download the updates in a way so as to be able to reinstall them after loading the original CD. I guess, however, if the original CD works for the basic need I have, then no problem. My fear would be that it won’t read the data file or be able to install the backup because it would be from a later version than what’s on the CD.
That would certainly be a concern. In the past Quicken has changed the file format so that an earlier version of Quicken could not read the data files produced by a latter version. Quicken 2002 could not read data files produced by Quicken 2010 for example. I assume that continued for latter versions. As I said, I'm perfectly happy with Q 2010 as it installed from the CD so I was never concerned about software updates or internet connectivity. Obviously, if those are features one wants then the current subscription model is the way to go but personally, I'm not going there.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
That would certainly be a concern. In the past Quicken has changed the file format so that an earlier version of Quicken could not read the data files produced by a latter version. Quicken 2002 could not read data files produced by Quicken 2010 for example. I assume that continued for latter versions. As I said, I'm perfectly happy with Q 2010 as it installed from the CD so I was never concerned about software updates or internet connectivity. Obviously, if those are features one wants then the current subscription model is the way to go but personally, I'm not going there.
I think I'll load the CD on a laptop I have and see if I can load my current data file/backup using the program right from the CD. Good idea.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Still using Quicken 2006. We can no longer download transactions, but we simply wait for a rainy day and periodically update them manually.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm still using Quicken 2007 on the Mac which thankfully still can download transactions. Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't degrade. As the MacOS upgrades there are a few glitches. It no longer is able to create backup fees so I have to remember to do that manually occasionally.

I noticed that suddenly downloading transactions from Chase no longer worked abut 2 years ago. Some banks don't support the Quicken format. But overall, fingers crossed, the most heavily used accounts still download.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

I also have the 2016 Quicken Deluxe version that expires in April. Anyone find a good deal on 2019 Quicken? Just got an email from Quicken, $59.99 for two years, haven't shopped around yet to know if it's a good deal or not.

https://www.quicken.com/pulse/email/...tm_content=003
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I also have the 2016 Quicken Deluxe version that expires in April. Anyone find a good deal on 2019 Quicken? Just got an email from Quicken, $59.99 for two years, haven't shopped around yet to know if it's a good deal or not.

https://www.quicken.com/pulse/email/...tm_content=003

I found Quicken Deluxe version at Best Buy for $29.99 for one year
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I’ve used Quicken for over 20 years and find it valuable enough to continue with a subscription model. I think of it as more than a spreadsheet, instead a database with a lot of views. The only online features I use are quotes and updates to Quicken itself (you lose those when your license expires). No transaction downloading.

I like the integration with Morningstar Portfolio X-Ray although using Morningstar directly is more comprehensive.

So I “bite the bullet” (more fun to say “blow that dough”) for Quicken.

I'm not able to find the free X-Ray Tool anymore..do you need a paid subscription to Morningstar to get it?
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #16

Although I bought Quicken 2017 last year, I am still using Quicken 99 on a 2001 Dell desktop. I believe I have to install the Q 2017 to my laptop, download my Q 99 from the old computer, convert it to Q 06 or Q 08, then move it to newer laptop. I'm not that energized so I procrastinate.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Quicken Deluxe 2016
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quicken Deluxe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I'm not able to find the free X-Ray Tool anymore..do you need a paid subscription to Morningstar to get it?

No, I don’t have a subscription to Morningstar. My Quicken 2018 version is Premier, you might need that level.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #18

I'm still using Quicken Deluxe 2010, I'll quit using it when it stops working.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm still using Quicken Deluxe 2010, I'll quit using it when it stops working.
Do you get any updates at all or is it completely unsupported? What are you using - the last version that existed or, the program right off the CD with no version updates?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #20

Add me to the list of 2016 users on the fence about upgrading to the subscription model. (Personal note - I abhor subscription model pricing on software... it has driven me away from MS Office, and a few other products... and may drive me away from Quicken despite 20 years of use.)

I recently got a new computer and when I installed Quicken 2016 from disk it would not read the latest file from my old computer. Turns out that as part of the separation from intuit, there were some significant changes. You have to download a patch that updates it to accept the newer file format.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quic...nd-mondo-patch