Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I don't disagree, it is worth noting that four of the last five years blew away 8% by a VERY wide margin so I'll admit to a bit of a chuckle when i read that sentence.
Good point. . Retirement funds are starting to get the color back in their formerly pale faces....

BTW, to my former post, one House - not to be named - suggested using a long term return of 6%. To each their own....
CUinFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUinFl View Post
Good point. . Retirement funds are starting to get the color back in their formerly pale faces....

BTW, to my former post, one House - not to be named - suggested using a long term return of 6%. To each their own....
Interesting. I actually use a 5.5% rate of return for my deterministic plan. It is the historical return for a 60/40 portfolio with a substantial haircut to be conservative. I like 6% better - let the good times roll.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Interesting. I actually use a 5.5% rate of return for my deterministic plan. It is the historical return for a 60/40 portfolio with a substantial haircut to be conservative. I like 6% better - let the good times roll.
According to a Vanguard whitepaper, 5.5% is the historical return for an all bonds portfolio. A 60/40 portfolio is 8.7% (1926 - 2012). That is some haircut!

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...io-allocations
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I concede it is a bit extreme of a haircut.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUinFl View Post
BUU, I have been a QLP user for a while and feel it is a good directional tool. That said, in reading your post above, I sense you are where I was a few months ago, trying to take the Fidelity RIP concepts and drive them into my QLP model. Where I ended up was coming to terms that there was no way to bridge the stochastic methods (RIP) into the deterministic tools (QLP). I am more comfortable using the two tools independently, and setting goals to improve both models. That approach gives me more year to year targets that I try to hit as I work to improve my success rate across both tools.
What I want to track and forecast using QLP is my assets. That is what will come closest to reality. The picture in the FireCalc chart shows me the historical returns based on my allocation. What I find interesting is that there are always some significant outliers on the positive side that I would consider as low probability. Those impact the historical average for the allocations. I would be inclined to throw out the outliers and pick a point that is close to the average of the remainder and use that as the assumed return rate in QLP rather than the historical average. If I did all the data entry accurately and completely, I would expect the outcome to be pretty close to accurate over a number of years. I would also set my level of spending where FireCalc was 100% successful. I think the outcome will show a positive accumulation throughout retirement in QLP mainly because you are spending for a worst case possibility. Any comments on this approach for synchronizing FireCalc and QLP?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where can I find QLP. Is it included in the Quicken software? I've never used Quicken and would like to try it.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

QLP is included in Quicken Deluxe or higher.

There is a free sunset edition of Money Plus that has a retirement planning module that is similar to QLP but quite a bit klunkier IMO. I wouldn't bother with it myself.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
QLP is included in Quicken Deluxe or higher. There is a free sunset edition of Money Plus that has a retirement planning module that is similar to QLP but quite a bit klunkier IMO. I wouldn't bother with it myself.
Thanks. We have lived frugally compared to others in our income level but have never had a defined budget. My resolution for the new year is to be a better planner.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote