Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken Subscription Question
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #1

Quicken Subscription Question

I was thinking about biting the bullet and upgrading to the newest version of Quicken. I was hoping they might have a basic program that you could buy without the subscription. In doing a little research, I came across this comment in a user group:

https://community.quicken.com/discus...-this-possible

The comment states:
Quote:
When your "membership" expires, you can either renew, or continue to use the product manually . . .

If you want to maintain access to Quicken's online services (bank downloads and mobile app) you'll need an active membership after your current version is discontinued.

The person posting uses "membership" interchangeably with "subscription".
So, that doesn't sound bad for me at all. My question is if anyone knows if it's true. I don't use the online services so if that's all that discontinues and I can get a couple years out of each subscription, that would be about what I was doing anyway.

Said another way, a one year subscription is currently $29.99. If I could pay that and let it run out after a year (don't pay to renew), but keep using it for another year or two and then upgrade again (rinse and repeat), I'd be fine with that. Understanding that would not work for many if you want to use the online services - which I do not.

Can anyone confirm yet what happens when the subscription runs out?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I was thinking about biting the bullet and upgrading to the newest version of Quicken. I was hoping they might have a basic program that you could buy without the subscription. In doing a little research, I came across this comment in a user group:

The comment states:

So, that doesn't sound bad for me at all. My question is if anyone knows if it's true. I don't use the online services so if that's all that discontinues and I can get a couple years out of each subscription, that would be about what I was doing anyway.

Said another way, a one year subscription is currently $29.99. If I could pay that and let it run out after a year (don't pay to renew), but keep using it for another year or two and then upgrade again (rinse and repeat), I'd be fine with that. Understanding that would not work for many if you want to use the online services - which I do not.

If you do not download transactions, you should be fine.

But why do you need to "upgrade"?

And by the way, you can let your "membership" expire and try it out. No harm no foul.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You can continue using your current version of Quicken... it just won't continue to download transactions or stock quotes. I decided that manual entry of transactions and manual update of quotes would be laborious and that the annual subscription was worth the cost by YMMV.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For now I am continuing the use Quicken 2017. Manual entries of transactions is not an issue for me - our volume of transactions has steadily declined. For quotes I have programs to download and format them into a file that I import to Quicken.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Quicken 2014; no downloads anymore, so it is free. I use Morningstar for my portfolio tracking (also free). The downside is that my financial picture is in two places.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
If you do not download transactions, you should be fine.

But why do you need to "upgrade"?

And by the way, you can let your "membership" expire and try it out. No harm no foul.
I don’t need to upgrade, but I do like to keep programs more current. However the main reason I’m looking into this is because we got a new computer (for DW) and I want to transfer the work of keeping track of our finances (bookkeeping) to that computer. I don’t think moving my current program (2016) is an option and I couldn’t imagine the grief I’d encounter to try to reinstall in from the original dick, if I can even find it. Just seemed like $30 to upgrade and move to the new computer was worth it.

Plus, the 2016 program is aggravating in that often when it first boots up, it errors out saying it can’t connect to the Quicken server. It always works on the second attempt, but things like that along with the continual notification screen to upgrade upgrade are annoying. I could put that part in the pet peeves thread. Even when you click the “do not remind me again” button, it always does.

I’m looking to do the same thing with my Microsoft Office program (2013). They at least have an option to purchase a basic version, which is all I need. In looking into Quicken, it may be that, while somewhat disguised, they may have a purchase option that will work for me.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I was hoping they might have a basic program that you could buy without the subscription. ...
Nope, AFIK. By going to subscription they have cut the connection between revenue coming in and the need to provide worthwhile upgrades. This is becoming common among companies with strong market shares. Adobe did it with their graphics products and Microsoft will be doing it with Windows.

FWIW I was just forced to "upgrade" from Ver. 2016 to Ver. 2019 bought for cheap ($21.40) on eBay. I did this because I use the automatic bank transfers to reconcile accounts and they are holding that feature hostage to force users to pay them. Other than having to pay to release the hostage I can see no (zero, none) improvements in the product. I'm sure they are making tons of money now that they don't have to develop upgraded products sufficient to motivate buyers.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The comment states:

My 2019 Subscription runs out today. They keep sending me messages to upgrade. I do like the update feature, as it updates all my credit union CD interest and fund dividends and prices.

Where did you see it for $29? I looked on ebay etc. cheapest I could find was $39.99
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
My 2019 Subscription runs out today. They keep sending me messages to upgrade. I do like the update feature, as it updates all my credit union CD interest and fund dividends and prices.

Where did you see it for $29? I looked on ebay etc. cheapest I could find was $39.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quicken-Del...s/193311415174

Bestbuy on Ebay, they have other versions and you have to add to cart to see the price.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Directly on their web site.

https://www.quicken.com/compare

Might only be for new subscriptions.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Can you confirm what happens if you do not renew your subscription? Does it continue to work but with out the update (online) feature?
Old 05-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Can you confirm what happens if you do not renew your subscription? Does it continue to work but with out the update (online) feature?

Yes it will continue to work, but you just won't be able to download quotes, dividends etc.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quicken-Del...s/193311415174

Bestbuy on Ebay, they have other versions and you have to add to cart to see the price.

Thanks for this..I must have missed it
Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes it will continue to work, but you just won't be able to download quotes, dividends etc.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just out of curiosity have you tried going to your banks website and trying to download it from there into Quicken. Seems to me I used to do that years ago when Quicken cut me off on an older version that I was using. In otherwords it would not work within Quicken but I could still manually do it at the banks website.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Just out of curiosity have you tried going to your banks website and trying to download it from there into Quicken. Seems to me I used to do that years ago when Quicken cut me off on an older version that I was using. In otherwords it would not work within Quicken but I could still manually do it at the banks website.

It would be too much trouble..2 Credit Unions, Ally Bank, Vanguard and Fidelity all work within Quicken.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

+1 While not a lot of activity in most of them, between 2 checking accounts, 7 savings accoounts, 6 CDs, 2 HSA accounts and a brokerage, tIRA and Roth at Vanguard not to mention 23 tickers to update quotes on and 4 credit card accounts I'll gladly pay $4/month to not have to manually update. Most activity is in one credit card and one checking account but there is enough occasional activity in the other accounts to make it worth paying for. Besides, I can afford it... blow that dough!

Other than our Navy Federal retirement CDs every account that we have updates automatically.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
... 2 checking accounts, 7 savings accounts, 6 CDs, 2 HSA accounts and a brokerage, tIRA and Roth at Vanguard not to mention 23 tickers to update quotes on and 4 credit card accounts ...
So, as a retired accounting guy, your retirement hobby is ... accounting ?!!?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
So, as a retired accounting guy, your retirement hobby is ... accounting ?!!?
Sort of I guess. I have us, Mom (including two trusts), a 501(c)(7) I'm Treasurer for and I also help out a 501(c)(3). Golf is more fun though.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don’t need to upgrade, but I do like to keep programs more current. However the main reason I’m looking into this is because we got a new computer (for DW) and I want to transfer the work of keeping track of our finances (bookkeeping) to that computer.
We were in a similar situation; we chose to keep that old computer and nowadays, we only use it for Quicken 2011
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote