Join Early Retirement Today

Raise your Hand if You are Part of this group of 7500
Old 10-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Raise your Hand if You are Part of this group of 7500

Glad that that the feds will be getting these guys to fork over their taxes, but how many more could there be out there? Thousands? Millions?

OK, fess up, who's on this list?

Quote:
"Right now we are seeing disclosures about 240 banks in 70 countries on every continent except Antarctica," said Shott.
While not officially called an amnesty program, the IRS says those voluntarily disclosing their secret foreign accounts will likely avoid criminal prosecution.
"They'll pay all the tax and interest and they will pay a penalty," said Shott. "And usually the decision is that there will not be a criminal prosecution."
The penalty will include the forfeiture of one-fifth of the amount held in the foreign accounts.
"Some of our cases range as high as something over $100 million," said Michel.
Thousands of Americans Admit Secret Bank Accounts as IRS Deadline Nears - ABC News

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not me!! Though I can see the temptation to shop around all over the world for decent interest rates right now, even if I had nothing sneaky in mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

In my dreams...
Go get 'em.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A 20% penalty plus interest is quite a stiff price to pay. Not sure how much compliance they'll get with that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Ziggy, if the other choice is "We'll make an example of you, and you get the cell next to Bernie Madoff"

The government may get quite a few takers

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hobo?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In the interest of anonymity, should this be a poll question?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Glad that that the feds will be getting these guys to fork over their taxes, but how many more could there be out there? Thousands? Millions?
I'm willing to take my chances...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe they should have engaged Marc Rich as a consultant: Marc Rich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We have vacationed annually in a well-know tax haven for a number of years. When we first started going, I briefly considered the idea of stashing some cash there. I discussed it with my brother, who is a CPA. He put it in stark terms that jolted me back to reality: "Go ahead, but just remember that every time you sign your tax return you are committing a felony."
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote