Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
ACH transfer limits - from what I read these restrictions are on the PenFed initiated transfers.

I have been able to initiate much larger ACH transfers to PenFed from another institution. I hope I can handle the transfer out (pull) the same way after the CD matures.
When my PenFed CDs mature, the balance is placed in my PenFed share account. After I verify the balance in the share account, I "pull" the funds out of PenFed using the ACH transfer feature of the receiving bank/credit union. This bypasses PenFed's transfer limits.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
When my PenFed CDs mature, the balance is placed in my PenFed share account. After I verify the balance in the share account, I "pull" the funds out of PenFed using the ACH transfer feature of the receiving bank/credit union. This bypasses PenFed's transfer limits.
Thanks for confirming what I thought.

In this scenario, PenFed is not liable for mistakes/fraud etc. the initiating institution is.

Fidelity allows ACH transfers of up to $100K per day per account. I use Fidelity or my high yield savings account bank to initiate all transfers with PenFed, regardless of direction.

I wouldn't want to deal with a check, personally.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Um, Nords, maybe this is a stupid question, but:
Knowing you had a CD coming due, why didn't you log in ahead of time and opt to have them send you a check when the CD matured?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Or, if the proceeds could have been put in MMSA upon maturity, you could have written a check yourself........if a check would have useful. Then you wouldn't depend on anybody except yourself.
No, those are both very good points.

A couple years ago (when a previous $20K CD matured) I was able to execute consecutive daily $5K transfers. That's faster than waiting 5-7 days for a letter to be sent from the East Coast to Hawaii. I've had checks "lost" in the postal mail during the last few years, too, so I prefer electronic transfers.

I could also have written checks on my PenFed HELOC and deposited them (with my iPad) at NFCU. NFCU has a daily limit of $10K for online deposits so I would have had to write three checks. That'd work fine too, although PenFed would take a dollar or two of interest charges on the HELOC.

I could've written a $20K check on my PenFed HELOC, gone four miles across our neighborhood to the new NFCU branch, stuffed the check in a deposit envelope, and put it into the ATM. That would've cleared in about the same time as a mailed check.

I would've done one of those things if I'd known about PenFed's new rules.

My frustration is the changing of the rules without notification-- especially that surprise about "$5000 in a three-day rolling period". That sounds like something John Cleese would utter in a Monty Python skit. It would've been easy for PenFed to have sent out an e-mail to tell us valued customers what new security features were being put in place so that we could adjust our transfer plans. There was never any notification about sending texts to cell phones, either, but I thought that was just because I was in Spain. Now it turns out to be another new rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Good point. I'm going to have to set that up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You initiated the transfer from Vanguard, but your bank limited the size?

I've been able to transfer up to $100K to PenFed checking in one fell swoop, no fees, when initiated from my brokerage.

I was expecting that I could go the other way in big chunks. And from what I read PenFed doesn't place restrictions on transfers initiated from another institution because they aren't liable if it is later deemed fraud and has to be reversed.

No, no no.... I transferred using ACH from Vanguard to my bank.... no problem... I have transferred using ACH from my bank to Vanguard.... no problem... (yes, big money both ways)....

The problem I had was doing a wire transfer to MIL... bank limits any kind of wire to $25K per day... could not use ACH.... she is not in the US....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never gotten the impression that PenFed was especially good at anything other than providing great rates.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
No, no no.... I transferred using ACH from Vanguard to my bank.... no problem... I have transferred using ACH from my bank to Vanguard.... no problem... (yes, big money both ways)....

The problem I had was doing a wire transfer to MIL... bank limits any kind of wire to $25K per day... could not use ACH.... she is not in the US....
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've never gotten the impression that PenFed was especially good at anything other than providing great rates.
And lately they've been lagging NFCU.

So I'm happy to consolidate and simplify.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote