Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I just sent this to my insurance agent tonight. I expect a BS answer, but I thought I should at least give him a chance to explain. We are going to be out of the country for 3.5 months beginning in January.....
My mom is a snowbird takes off insurance on her car when she is away for the winter since it is just sitting in the garage... IIRC she leaves the comprehensive on but cancels/suspends liability and collision.

On the rate creep... definitely shop it when you get back. On our two cars the 2018 premiums were actually 8% lower than the 2017 premiums... we use Cincinnati Insurance Company. In past years the increases have been fairly modest... less than double digits.

Perhaps part of the rate increase is an Aaron Rogers discount double-check advertising surcharge.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Made me look. The past 12 months we've used 19,800 kWh and paid $1,813. That's 9.2¢ per kWh so I guess we're getting a bargain.
Interesting. I guess we're in bargain territory too.
Last 12 months of electricity cost right around 9¢ per kWh.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Generation and Transmission Charges 0.0679043 per kWH
Customer Distribution charge $7.44
Distribution Charge 0.040362 per kWH
Default Service Support Charge $2.50
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My mom is a snowbird takes off insurance on her car when she is away for the winter since it is just sitting in the garage... IIRC she leaves the comprehensive on but cancels/suspends liability and collision.

On the rate creep... definitely shop it when you get back. On our two cars the 2018 premiums were actually 8% lower than the 2017 premiums... we use Cincinnati Insurance Company. In past years the increases have been fairly modest... less than double digits.
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I will contact them about suspending liability and collision. I will have to see if it will impact my umbrella insurance.

I will also price shop once we return. This happened with my last insurance company that I had for 20 years, I should have left them a lot sooner.

Thank you for your post.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Our "rate creep" isn't too bad. We've basically always kept a catastrophic type coverage on everything. We'll do this until I'm physically not able to take care of all our maintenance needs. We drive older vehicles as our tags are our state tax and the yrly tags on a new vehicle that would fit our needs would be ridiculously stupid high! We yrly have to go argue with the assessor as they are corrupt. Same with water, basically a slush fund. We just built a new home (completely ourselves). All electric and so far it's awesome. Our electric cost is crazy low. I will never own another home that has NG or propane. Electric is regulated. NG and propane are not regulated here.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote