RE and stocks

Onward

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I was looking back over my investing experiences yesterday, it struck me what the essential difference between rental real estate and stocks was: with real estate, all my struggles have been with other people. With stocks, all my struggles have been with myself.

Am I on to something here?

Dunno, but your thread title highlights a problem i have with Retire Early and Real Estate. For me RE is real estate - imagine my surprise when I found you using it that way here!

While I understand what you are getting at, with respect I disagree. I have issues with both myself and other people when it comes to both stocks and real estate.

With real estate, the issue with myself is making a poor assessment either at the time I buy (over valuing the property or misreading the market conditions generally) or when setting an asking rent on a vacant property (too high and the vacancy period will be longer, too low and I am short changing myself). Obviously, tenants and agents can be a pain at times.

With stocks, I have plenty of issues with people - intermediaries wh chanrge too much, incompetent or crooked company directors among others. On the other hand, my own emotions and over/under confidence are my biggest enemies when it comes to stock selection (both buy and sell side).

Back
Top Bottom