Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2021, 11:38 PM   #421
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Interesting interview today with a well regarded police chief in a neighboring city. The chief is taking a new job as a chief of police in a city located in the so-called fly over country.

The main reason: None of his three kids (even the married one with two incomes in the household) can afford to buy a house here.
Move on, nothing to see here......

Meanwhile, a house nearby that sold for $1.25 million in 2005 is on the market after substantial upgrades. The buyer that paid that tried to sell it during 2015-2016 at ever decreasing prices before finally selling at $739,000 in 2016. The buyer that paid $739,000 just sold it for about what the seller paid in 2005.

In my subdivision, a house that sold in early 2017 for $201/sq. ft. is now on the market for $486/sq. ft., and they'll probably get that, or close to it.

If there was anywhere else I wanted to go, I'd bail now.

I'm not in the Bay area or Seattle with tech company millionaires being minted from stock options/grants everyday. Most of the purchases appear to be from out-of-state buyers fleeing high crime areas. Have to wonder how long that is going to last, and what the aftermath will be when that play runs out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 05:12 AM   #422
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
We have definitely seen a slowdown this past month where we live. 2 homes within my development that are priced reasonably and one has been sitting there for 35 days and the other 16 days.
There are houses for sale on the blocks at each side of ours. Even though prices seem reasonable, both have been for sale for a couple of weeks without contracts.

It's likely because it's too hot to look at houses during midsummer in Virginia, but still interesting to note.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Real Estate Bubble?
Old 07-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Real Estate Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight View Post
I've looked at Raleigh Metro since 2006 when I visited Cary and true to form, I felt I missed all the upside and didn't make a move. Of course, true to form - I was wrong and there was tons more to be had.

[…]

Any guesses on what lesser developed parts surrounding the RTP will one day come more alive? I'd appreciate any local observation you have.

You might get a better guess from other members who are longer term Tar Heels than I. I’m a transplant from the midwest who moved in mid-2015 (I’m an Illini).

I waited a while to buy a home and made the leap just this spring. Bought a home I’d been renting when the former owners (physicians now in another state) decided they’d had enough of landlording. It was lucky: we went under contract just as Apple made their expansion announcement (in April). Prices have zoomed due to a combo of Covid, mortgage rates & Apple/RTP (not sure which had greatest effect).

I live a little west of RTP but an easy commute (which I no longer do!). The area is expanding for sure, Pittsboro comes to mind and is closest.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #424
Give me a forum ...

My son finally got an offer to buy a house accepted, after not getting 2 other houses. He wasn't too aggressive in his other offers, but this house was a really good fit for him and the asking price was pretty reasonable, so he went 10% over. Apparently they had 12 offers, and took his. Hopefully no surprises on the inspection. I'm really happy for him. He's more than ready to get out of apartment life.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My son finally got an offer to buy a house accepted, after not getting 2 other houses. He wasn't too aggressive in his other offers, but this house was a really good fit for him and the asking price was pretty reasonable, so he went 10% over. Apparently they had 12 offers, and took his. Hopefully no surprises on the inspection. I'm really happy for him. He's more than ready to get out of apartment life.

Fingers crossed for your boy, glad he waited until he found something he really wanted.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

Nice, but not spectacular 3 - 6 bedroom homes in our community are just starting to hit the multi-million mark here now (Bay Area). These are houses that would just be well kept, middle class suburban homes elsewhere. I do think it seems like a bubble that is going to burst big time. Prices have always been boom and bust here but even for the Bay Area I've never seen these kind of extreme price increases in one year.

Like Flagator, if I had some place else I wanted to move to I'd sell now.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Fingers crossed for your boy, glad he waited until he found something he really wanted.
Thanks. This was the least expensive of the three, but this had everything he wanted. Just not some extras he really didn't need.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #428
gone traveling

Here's a home in one of Raleigh, NC best zip codes. Went on the market for $389K but they knocked it down to $375K It's under contract now. Still overpriced but the price cut does tell you something. I have seen similar homes with price cuts still sitting around. Maybe this isn't a housing bubble but an old birthday ballon that deflates slowly over time..

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...79888018_zpid/
snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #429

Finally starting a reversing of the curve for inventory, not too surprising as it was hovering pretty near zero, probably due to materials opening up and more workers being available. The other factors are indexed prices are starting to get a bit above the 2008 peak, and buyers are decreasing a bit, though it is still quite high. If these trends continue, the housing market should be able to cool itself down, resulting in a slow drop in prices, otherwise, such as if it gets propped up by investment buyers despite a drop in demand and an increase in supply, we could see a repeat of 2008.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #430
gone traveling

Anecdotal - a realtor in the midwest told me she is itching to sell her house because, "I don't know what the market will do next year." It tells me she sees a softening, or at least a slowdown. I see better supply-demand balance next year.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post
Here's a home in one of Raleigh, NC best zip codes. Went on the market for $389K but they knocked it down to $375K It's under contract now. Still overpriced but the price cut does tell you something. I have seen similar homes with price cuts still sitting around. Maybe this isn't a housing bubble but an old birthday ballon that deflates slowly over time..

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...79888018_zpid/
Not sure how soft I'd consider that given the house across the street at 7716 is a touch bigger and just sold in June for $345k. I live not too far from that listing. I've seen a few price cuts for the houses that were really overpriced. I guess we shall see if the days on market starts to climb. Everything in our neighborhood that went up last week has an offer so as of yesterday morning there was zero inventory in our neighborhood again which usually implies there is still room for the price to go up maybe not at the crazy rates these last 6 months brought us but probably not exactly pennies either.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #432
Recycles dryer sheets

My hope is that homes I want to buy as an investment soften up and come down in price. But, MY neighborhood and my primary residence should of course maintain it's current value and appreciate yearly
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #433

My neighborhood of ~750 homes has only one currently listed, and it's a very small house, maybe 1600 SF, for $530 and needs a 100% upgrade/gutting.

To compare, most 1900sf average homes for the area are going at $650+, and quickly. Realtors aren't even bothering with open houses. When I start to see open house signs around, that's when it's softening. At most it's going to level off, but nothing major will change until the inventory starts to increase.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
My neighborhood of ~750 homes has only one currently listed, and it's a very small house, maybe 1600 SF, for $530 and needs a 100% upgrade/gutting.

To compare, most 1900sf average homes for the area are going at $650+, and quickly. Realtors aren't even bothering with open houses. When I start to see open house signs around, that's when it's softening. At most it's going to level off, but nothing major will change until the inventory starts to increase.

Or the buyers start to decrease. Seems at some point all the people moving up in a house will level off. Once the balance of buyers and sellers is more even it will reduce the price increase pressure that has been in place with current more buyers than sellers.

Low mortgage rates have had a big effect as well, if interest rates rise that will cool things down by itself. Hopefully it is a slow increase, for the overall economy sake, as well as for the housing market.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
In our area Price per sq ft is going at about 165 on the low end to 225 high end on the golf course or lake. We are in between probably around 190. I bought for $122 6 years ago so we have appreciated about $11-12sq/ft per year. or a 9.1% annual appreciation, YMMV.

Zillow has us listed at $161.5/sq ft and Trulia is the exact same.

The county has us assessed at $138 down from $140 last year.
They used to break out land value, but I can't seem to find that information...a 2 acre lot just across the way on the golf course just sold for $250k. My guess is they build 2 800-1MM homes their. FOUR!

Affordability is the key in my area. I would/am upgrading my job, but avoiding the life creep, paying this sucker off early and setting sail into the sunset with y'all!
Update 3 months later Zillow now has us around $173.5 so about 4.016% a month appreciation. I don't know if that's a coincidence, but in 10months I don't know how we can see a 40% price increase sustain. Technically, I added a massive 1200sq ft outdoor space zillow doesn't know about and still has me as second highest per sq ft on the block.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #436
Recycles dryer sheets

According to the REALTORS® Confidence Index Survey June 2021, "demand is softening but still remains strong."

See Bill McBride's Calculated Risk Blog post for some graphics detailing the weakening and additional thoughts:

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...rvey-june.html

Here in the Raleigh area in the last week we've seen some overly exuberant (greedy?) sellers listing their homes WELL above recent sales metrics and greeted with crickets and no showings. So, it appears there is a limit to the insanity, but demand for properly priced homes here does remain VERY strong.

If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else - Yogi Berra
schenbew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #437
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenbew View Post
Here in the Raleigh area in the last week we've seen some overly exuberant (greedy?) sellers listing their homes WELL above recent sales metrics and greeted with crickets and no showings. So, it appears there is a limit to the insanity, but demand for properly priced homes here does remain VERY strong.

They might be people in no rush to really move, but might for the right price. And who knows what buyers are willing to pay right now in the tulip mania kind of market.

I've seen that in our area and sometimes it works. I think these must be cash buyers because some of the home are selling well above comps, at least comps from a few months before.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #438
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenbew View Post
According to the REALTORS® Confidence Index Survey June 2021, "demand is softening but still remains strong."

See Bill McBride's Calculated Risk Blog post for some graphics detailing the weakening and additional thoughts:

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...rvey-june.html

Good observation. So we are seeing a decline in the bidding war process although homes are still selling fast. Not sure about other parts of the country but the RTP area has been on "fire" for a while so there are some signs of people saying "NO THANKS" to gross overpricing.
snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #439

It appears that the market is slowing down here in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). There is a house for sale in my neighborhood that was on the market for almost 2 weeks before going pending. Also, a house in my daughters neighborhood in Danville was on the market for over two weeks and just reduce their asking price by $100K.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

From Redfin Redmond Data...

"In June 2021, Redmond home prices were up 48.0% compared to last year, selling for a median price of $1.3M. On average, homes in Redmond sell after 5 days on the market compared to 7 days last year. There were 170 homes sold in June this year, up from 111 last year."

Up 48% seems nuts! I'm pretty sure maybe a few mega sales skewed this data. My Redfin estimated house value has gone up 20% yoy.