Join Early Retirement Today

rebalance bands
Old 03-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rebalance bands

I am halfway to my rebalance band of 5%. Anybody here going to rebalance when they hit their mark or are some of you going to sit tight and avoid catching the falling knife.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rebalance bands are there to stop you being too clever.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
Rebalance bands are there to stop you being too clever.
Good one!

After 2008 I think I've set mine wide enough to only catch a falling knife once, and that's OK with me.

I caught a falling knife three times during 2008 and that was a nasty feeling - fortunately saved by the very fast recovery in 2009.

In my retirement fund I'm about half way through my rebalancing bands and this last week didn't change that status.

I've already modified my automatic investments for my HSA to try to rebalance via new contributions.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

To be honest I am afraid to look.

I have been toying with the idea of going 60/40 from 65/35, so I guess I am not in to big a rush.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post

I have been toying with the idea of going 60/40 from 65/35...
Bet you are already there - and then some!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
To be honest I am afraid to look.

I have been toying with the idea of going 60/40 from 65/35, so I guess I am not in to big a rush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bet you are already there - and then some!
Yep!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The whole idea behind mechanical rebalancing is to take the twin terrors — greed and fear — out of the picture. If you commit to it, stick with it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #8

Made me look.
Not surehow, but according to the Fido analysis tool I was 62/38 (last I checked which was within a few days of the top), and now am 58/42.
I'll start sniffing around for a bargain if I get to 55/45. Hoping more that real life items go on sale like in 08. Been holding off on buying an RV or van.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, you guys made me look too. Actually if I compare to end of year it doesn't seem as painful as comparing to all time highs. I have drifted to 63.5/36.5. Not going rebalance yet.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I am halfway to my rebalance band of 5%. Anybody here going to rebalance when they hit their mark or are some of you going to sit tight and avoid catching the falling knife.
That's not catching a falling knife; that's following your IPS.

Will I rebalance? Of course.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

This had me thinking, Although I don't rebalance, I was curious as to what the market had to drop to see a 5% change in my AA. I just ran some numbers. Assuming that the bonds and cash stay put, my equities have to drop 24% in order to see a 5% change in AA. Then the market has to drop from there another 23% (-42% overall) to change AA another 5%. I really think a +/- 5% AA as a rebalance trigger may be a bit too wide for those who are squeamish.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I really think a +/- 5% AA as a rebalance trigger may be a bit too wide for those who are squeamish.
I have done the exact opposite. I changed to a 10% rebalance trigger after 2008 because my 5% rebalance trigger fired too often during 2008.

If the market keeps dropping for a long period, rebalancing more often due to narrower rebalance bands isn’t necessarily going to make you feel better and will use up your cash and fixed income more quickly as you draw on it to repeatedly rebalance.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have done the exact opposite. I changed to a 10% rebalance trigger after 2008 because my 5% rebalance trigger fired too often during 2008.

If the market keeps dropping for a long period, rebalancing more often due to narrower rebalance bands isn’t necessarily going to make you feel better and will use up your cash and fixed income more quickly as you draw on it to repeatedly rebalance.
+10
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Not sure what you mean here by falling knife.i understand the idea, but if I were set to rebalance now, past 2 weeks would have me selling bonds and buying stocks. The idea behind AA rebalance is to sell high and buy low. Please forgive me if I’m missing something here.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Not sure what you mean here by falling knife.i understand the idea, but if I were set to rebalance now, past 2 weeks would have me selling bonds and buying stocks. The idea behind AA rebalance is to sell high and buy low. Please forgive me if I’m missing something here.
Falling knife means you buy something low and it keeps dropping even more.

So, maybe you end up with another opportunity to rebalance again a while later. No big deal, IMO.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Maybe I misread this audience. Perhaps this group is more stoic in declining markets than the majority of investors. In my case, if 10% was a trigger point the market would have to drop 42% before rebalancing. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have a rebalance plan at all and don't have rebalance triggers.

I understand that having to rebalance could cause a person to be depressed more often. on the other hand, on the recovery side ......
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

10 year yield below 0.5%, have anyone thought of rebalance by reduce the amount of Wellesley holdings to reduce bond in the portfolio?
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

A 0.52% 10 year treasury is just crazy! We are seeing some definite panic in the markets. But the equities have been so richly valued that we are still up there valuations wise. But who knows - maybe after next week.....

Seriously though, it takes months to work through all this stuff. So it just might be a wild and crazy ride until the end of the year.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

A market correction usually works itself out fairly quick, but is this just a correction? If you think so, then step up and buy, buy, buy...

In the 2000-2003 rout, it took more than 2 years for the market to find bottom.

In the 2007-2009 Great Recession, it took 1-1/2 years.

I am not going to rush in and trip on myself to buy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

0.5% 10 year is not healthy.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote