Rebalancing?

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
It will soon be time for annual rebalancing.

It looks like most of my 2003 SEPP will come from fixed income, with just a tiny bit coming from the stock index fund. A sad state of affairs!

What are the rest doing?

Dory36

That's the way to do it. My original long range plan was to not take anything from equities when they are in a negative trend.

There is info somewhere and a calculator, REHP...? don't recall where.... that showed keeping a big-assed cash buffer and not molesting equities unless they are healthy actually proves to be better than rebalancing.

And you avoid the possible "Japan Syndrome" of "rebalancing" money down a rat hole for a generation, though I don't think that is what's happening in the USA at this time

Personally, I've been out of equities since since 2000 so none of this has really affected me. THAT's my REAL plan. Stay as long as necessary but not one minute longer.

At the moment my allocations are not that far off. I was probably overweight in equities a year or so ago. The market has taken care of that situation.

If I need to do anything, it's move some money within my equity allocation. My international holdings have taken a beating, and I should move some large cap to small. Trouble is, my 401(k) plan does not have a good small cap option. I really should do a rollover from the 401(k) to an IRA, and rebalance equity at that time. But I hesitate.

Back
Top Bottom