Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Received a letter from the IRS asking my to validate my Idenity
Old 03-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Received a letter from the IRS asking my to validate my Idenity

I had just filed and they already took my $4 payment out of my Bank account

I got a letter number 4883C saying someone just filed under my name and wanting me to call with additional information to validate my identity

At first I thought it was a scam, but searching found lots of posts with the same toll free number given saying it is legit. Just a PIA

Others call, have to wait, get disconnected, call again and work through with aa humorless individual to work through it. If you don't call, you have to go to their office upon summons to validate who you are

I haven't moved in 14 years and they did process the amount I owed directly from my account so not sure what is going on. Others have posted that it is random and not anything suspicious with specific returns

Any one else get this in the past and have any feedback?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 10:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you don't have an IRS PIN , it might be them just checking it is you that filed.

They will cash a check without regard of the tax return, but at least you have proof they got it.

Incredible how stupid the IRS is, like you say if you haven't moved and other things are constant, like bank account #, income sources, etc.. it probably is you.

Yet, the IRS page does talk about all this and even says you would have to show up with proof so they can do your return. Again the stupidity of the IRS is they don't put a phone number on the web site. Instead they say call the number on the letter.

So any scammer can send out letters looking the same with their own phone number and trick people into phoning in with all their Personal information.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I called the IRS. I was on hold for 20 minutes waiting my turn

They don’t know why it gets flagged. They said it is either Random or something different about address or how they were filed.

Since we haven’t moved in 14+ years and have been using TurboTax longer I will have to assume Random selection

I went through 2021 and 2022 questions that are generated by their system. Their operator had no access to our forms to see any data. They did ask for SS #'s and I would be concerned about phishing if I hadn't verified the number via multiple searches. I keep my Credit Frozen so don't see someone being able to use my SS to get a loan or credit card.

I was then put on hold for another 5 minutes while she authorized our forms to continue processing. She came back and said all good to go

Seems like a waste to me since I haven't moved, W2 had the same employer (partial year), connected to same Bank Account and file using Turbo Tax like always
Old 03-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

For the last three years in a row I have gotten a form notice demanding that I send them original hardcopies of all withholding statements. Never an explanation why or a contact name or number. About two weeks after I mail it in, I get my refund. Really getting old and annoying.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How did you file?

I just filed my sister's return with Turbotax and had to put down last years income and her driver's license.

Have not read about it this year but in years past there was a lot of scams where people had returns filed under their name that was not them.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:41 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I had just filed and they already took my $4 payment out of my Bank account

I got a letter number 4883C saying someone just filed under my name and wanting me to call with additional information to validate my identity
Had this happen to me several years ago. Someone managed to get a $8000+ refund in my name, using an address in Utah. I filed late, since I knew I had a refund coming, so it was on *me* to prove I was the real me, and not an imposter. I was able to do so, eventually, but it took over a year to get my refund.

In between, I finally turned it over to a Taxpayer Advocate to deal with all the red tape.

Since that time, every year, I get a PIN number to use when filing.
dixonge is online now   Reply With Quote