Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yesterday I saw a very impressive and old looking crystal ball, sitting at the back of a dusty shelf at an antique store in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. It looked like it had been there for years.

If you looked into it very carefully, through the misty swirls of old crystal, you could see a scorpion that had been imbedded into the center of it when it was made.

Just thought that some here might appreciate the mental imagery. I was going to buy it until I saw what was inside! Does not bode well for the crystal ball gazers.
How much was it? Would make a great conversation piece in my office.........kinda the "Ultimate Magic 8-ball"...........I can see saying:

"Let's see what the Crystal Ball Scorpion has to say"...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
How much was it? Would make a great conversation piece in my office.........kinda the "Ultimate Magic 8-ball"...........I can see saying:

It wasn't much. It was small, (maybe 4-5" diameter), and it must have been resin instead of crystal, because they managed to get the scorpion inside somehow. Sure looked like crystal but it was yellowing and cloudy with some mystical looking swirls. I am pretty sure that the price tag was under $50 though I don't recall the exact amount. I know the shopkeeper and she would come down some. Maybe I should have bought it! I might the next time I am up there. It would remind me to stay with my Boglehead ways.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I thought you were an economist. You sure don't act like one. Or maybe you're a faith-based economist.
Looks like we have a real P***** S******** on our hands. Do me a favor: stay away from my cat and dogs.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Looks like we have a real P***** S******** on our hands. Do me a favor: stay away from my cat and dogs.
So where did you get your economic education?

Sorry to scare you. From now on I will only bring up the good points about the economy.

Merck & Co., continuing a turnaround, said Monday its third-quarter profit soared 62% on higher sales of vaccines and drugs for asthma and diabetes, and a lower reserve for product-liability litigation.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Razor, bears need thick skin around here. You have to realize that "the market always goes up" is not just the religion here, but it's how ER's pay the bills, and it's how wanna-be-ER's make it to ER-dom.

We've had a great bull run, with returns far in excess of economic growth. While it's true that the market usually takes back excess returns, people want to believe that they get to keep them.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Incidentally, if you ever find yourself in the southern half of NJ, go check out Wheaton Village. It includes the museum of american glass which contains the largest collection of crystal balls (which they refer to as "paperweights" go figure) I have ever seen.

- George Orwell

Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Merck & Co., continuing a turnaround, said Monday its third-quarter profit soared 62% on higher sales of vaccines and drugs for asthma and diabetes, and a lower reserve for product-liability litigation.
You forgot to include a quote for b33ver cheez3 futures.

- George Orwell

Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Razor, bears need thick skin around here. You have to realize that "the market always goes up" is not just the religion here, but it's how ER's pay the bills, and it's how wanna-be-ER's make it to ER-dom.

We've had a great bull run, with returns far in excess of economic growth. While it's true that the market usually takes back excess returns, people want to believe that they get to keep them.
I am not a bear or a bull. Just a realist that tries to look at all the factors that could affect my future and I don't like to bury my head in the sand.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not a bear or a bull. Just a realist that tries to look at all the factors that could affect my future and I don't like to bury my head in the sand.
Fair enough. But I think the reason bears/ doomsayers/[MODERATOR EDIT] get dumped on here is that the exact right thing to do has been to keep your head buried in the sand for a number of decades.

- George Orwell

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you have an opinion on the subject or not. It kind of funny how irate some people get when others point out the problems this country is facing. It's almost like they would rather be kept in the dark and let their faith carry them through. I never said we wouldn't survive, but I do expect some tough times ahead and I am ready for it.
You're not the manager of the "Prudent Bear" are you??

Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Fair enough. But I think the reason bears/ doomsayers/piglet sodomizers get dumped on here is that the exact right thing to do has been to keep your head buried in the sand for a number of decades.
I hope you aren't a financial planner, too.

I was just wondering what a 34 year old is doing on a forum like this anyway. No offence, just wondering.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fair enough. But I think the reason bears/ doomsayers/piglet sodomizers get dumped on here is that the exact right thing to do has been to keep your head buried in the sand for a number of decades.
Or, to paraphrase, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent...

<Insert unclemick/Bear Bryant quote here>

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Or, to paraphrase, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent...
"In the short run, the market is a voting machine, but in the long run it is a weighing machine."

We're still in the voting machine stage. Let's hope the weighing machine phase never happens.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was just wondering what a 34 year old is doing on a forum like this anyway. No offence, just wondering.
Just passing the time and deluding hapless fools into believing that public equities probably have a positive expected return.

- George Orwell

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So what is the AGE requirement for this forum??

Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #116

Quote:
This is pure speculation on my part, but based on what I have been reading here for the past few years it's between ages 16 and 110.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
This is pure speculation on my part, but based on what I have been reading here for the past few years it's between ages 16 and 110.
Yes, and an Econ PhD is also required.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Better make it under 16 or we will squeeze out uncle mick.

- George Orwell

Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
I think any age should be able to read but posting should be limited to those between the ages of 40-60. Or we could go with some arbitrary maturity or intelligence level.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just passing the time and deluding hapless fools into believing that public equities probably have a positive expected return.
Darn you fooled me! stupid stupid stupid... I am selling everything and running for the hills...

Quote:
Heh, what's up with the age discrimimation comment! Is 34 too young to start planning for ER?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote