Recovering a Retirement Benefit after multiple company sales.

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Soc Sec just notified my wife of a retirement plan benefit that originated with a former employer in 1991, company A in OH. Company A was acquired by Company B in OH, who were acquired by Company C in IL. Company C subsequently sold those holdings to a private company D in NJ. I am making calls but (no surprise) they all "don't know what I'm talking about..."

It's not a huge amount, but is there any way to find out where those funds might be? Or am I wasting my time?

I would write a letter to Company D and enclose a copy of the SS notification you received.

I had a similar thing happen, only the company 3 times removed actually found ME. I have no idea how, but a letter showed up in the mail one day (and I have moved 3 times since leaving, including to a different state). In my case, I thought the vesting period was 10 years, so I never considered looking for it. Maybe there was a law change, or a legal challenge, but what ever it was, I now get a whopping $104/mo (no option for a lump sum).

In my case, the funds were eventually administered by MetLife, so maybe the pension was transferred to a 3rd party insurance company?

But I am curious, what exactly did SS say?

Contact the benefits office at the current company - the contact info is likely on their website, they have access to all historical plan info.

I went through this about 15 years ago. I have a small pension from my first real job which I left 30 years ago - I only worked for the company for 5 years total, just past the date of vesting. That company was acquired by another larger one probably 20 years ago. I contacted the current benefits office, they quickly looked up my info, updated it with all the current info, and then it magically showed up in my Fidelity account. Now we're collecting monthly for the rest of my/DW's life.

sounds like the the min 90's thru 2010 for me. But I think all retirement plans were killed for me. Many got something.

But I am curious, what exactly did SS say?
Soc Sec was only aware of company A (bankrupt) and company B (defunct), I found company C & D online myself. The account value shown is $1201.

Attachments

• 252805AD-6CD6-494A-875B-E6DE7E0B7701.jpg
    252805AD-6CD6-494A-875B-E6DE7E0B7701.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom