Reducing your cable bill

I have a PC connected via HDMI connection to the TV, this gets the "cable" channels through YoutubeTV. For OTA I connected an antenna to the TV. The TV remote has a button to select the inputs, it is not a big deal to switch inputs.

For phone I have MagicJack, I paid $100 for 5 years. It connects to the Ethernet port on the router and then to a regular phone. Also it comes through the smart phone as long as it has Internet.

This really got me thinking, just frustrated by costs of cable TV and phone and Internet.

Current: FIOS Bundle (Internet 75 MPS speed, landline, HDTV prime channels).

Would Like: Keep Internet at 75 MPS, go with OTA Antenna for basic local channels, Sling for other TV viewing pleasure, eliminate landline.

Has anyone done something like this?

We have 3 TVs now (along with 2 Firesticks and 1 Chromecast dongles). Need to buy OTA antennas? , connect to each TV?

How operate TV - switch input from Antenna to Dongle? That may be a showstopper with spouse.

Thanks

We ditched Directv and replaced it with Directv Now in June. I did install an OTA antenna, but Directv Now added most locals for our area a couple of weeks ago so the need for the antenna plummeted. Almost all TV watching is now streaming through Rokus and Apple TVs.

I get my internet through Comcast - though Google Fiber is coming to my neighborhood soon and I will be switching to that when it becomes available (30% cheaper and 4x faster).

No home phone. For TV I use a combination of OTA, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now and Sling. Since there is no contract with the last two, I turn on and off those services as needed. I use Sling Orange (for ESPN) in the fall during football season and HBO when some interesting new content comes out.

I live in a rural area where the only option is satellite TV and internet. Expensive, and the internet service is limited (about $100/month for internet, over $100/month for TV) ...

Same here... no OTA... we use Dish and their most basic programming package, called Welcome Pack... $23/month.... DVR is another $15... so if you had only one TV your total bill would be $38 plus taxes and fees.

Alas, we have 4 TVs so after the added equipment and fees our bill is $62 plus taxes and fees for a total of $66.

You can't change to Welcome Pack online... you have to call... but it includes the majors (CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox) and HGTV which keeps DW happy... and a bunch of other channels and the price is right.

Last edited:
I'll repeat what I posted in the cut the cord thread - if you're not calling to cancel/downgrade service every couple of years, you're not getting the best (new customer) deal on HSI + TV. My current bill is $125/mo. all-in for 150mb HSI + all cable channels + HBO on Comcast. But I also use a Tivo and I like sports so there's no cut the cord option for me, really, that would be as cheap or as easy to use.

I will be on Comcast until they start getting rid of cable cards. A Tivo with Minis is a great whole-home choice for cable assuming you still want cable TV.

Last edited:
Bit the bullet this year and went the streaming TV route (DirecTV Now) after years of DirecTV satellite service. Had no problem with satellite except the cost. Got tired of trying to wrangle lower costs out of them every quarter or two; make it a fair price and leave it at that. Have had some hiccups with DTVN but love the fact it can be watched on any device. Since I am ER and an active investor, I love having CNBC running in the background in my office. BTW, have 60+Mbps internet speeds with Charter, and looking forward to their ultimate rollout of 1G speed across their complete network.

I ditched FIOS TV about a year and a half ago, after I bought an android box to connect to the TV. With the android box you can install a software called KODI which enables streaming from the internet. One can also install KODI on a computer or a smartphone. Through KODI, you can download various add-ons to watch moves, TV shows, and live TV.
Live TV is a hit or miss situation.

Cable and HOA

We just got a notice from our HOA that they are going to bundle in Spectrum 100mbs internet service with our monthly fee. Currently, our cable is included in the HOA bill, they finally have enough online folks (Florida), that they are doing this.

We pay $36.31 for what they call "enhanced" cable as part of my HOA fee, which includes the Golf channel, our development's community channel and more channels than I need. They are adding the 100mbs internet for $12.00. My total cost for cable/internet "all in" will be $48.31.

I feel like this is one instance where an HOA can actually do some good in terms of services.

Our HOA includes 10 mb service from a local independent provider. Most folks pay for faster service from them or Centurylink, so there’s no real benefit except as a backup for those needing faster service. A speed bump with the HOA service would be a very nice surprise.

....So anyway, now I pay $80/month for internet alone. Somehow it doesn't feel like that great a deal.

I would love to ditch Cox - I now pay $121 a month for internet, cable with a sports package and a phone (which I don't use). I've priced ditching cable and going with internet only and then streaming packages..... it is still a bit cheaper for me to go with bundle for what I want: if I were to cut the cable, I would go with Youtube TV ($40/mo right now), Amazon Prime with Britbox ($99/yr + $6.99/mo). I've looked into a dish based internet access through Hughes net and another company. They use some of the same transponders and antennas and I would still need to pay $80/ mo. At internet and YouTube TV, I'm already at the price I have now for Cox......

I've looked into a dish based internet access through Hughes net and another company. They use some of the same transponders and antennas and I would still need to pay $80/ mo. At internet and YouTube TV, I'm already at the price I have now for Cox......

I doubt HughesNet would work well if you plan to depend heavily on streaming plans. They throttle you down to 1-3Mbps once you go over your monthly data plan, 30G for $80.

I would love to ditch Cox - I now pay $121 a month for internet, cable with a sports package and a phone (which I don't use). I've priced ditching cable and going with internet only and then streaming packages..... it is still a bit cheaper for me to go with bundle for what I want: if I were to cut the cable, I would go with Youtube TV ($40/mo right now), Amazon Prime with Britbox ($99/yr + $6.99/mo). I've looked into a dish based internet access through Hughes net and another company. They use some of the same transponders and antennas and I would still need to pay $80/ mo. At internet and YouTube TV, I'm already at the price I have now for Cox......
When I went to internet only on Cox, I did not purchase any services to make up for the lack of cable TV. I get maybe 40-60 channels OTA using a cheap homemade antenna.

But TBH, I am going through a phase in which TV is unappealing to me (which is why I ditched cable TV). So, I don't miss it. :)

I do have Amazon Prime (for shipping), and Frank installed his Netflix on my TV too. But I don't use either one.

I would love to ditch Cox - I now pay $121 a month for internet, cable with a sports package and a phone (which I don't use). I've priced ditching cable and going with internet only and then streaming packages..... it is still a bit cheaper for me to go with bundle for what I want:

Yes, that's a good monthly price for all those services. I'm currently paying $75 a month for internet and phone (which we do use a lot) only.

Currently pay $110 for internet and Sling. No landline.

My internet only from Spectrum is $65/month for blazing speed (over 100 mbps)... and I'm getting a $20/month promotional credit for the first 12 months. My TV package through Dish is ~$65/month.... $20 for a very basic programming package and $40 for equipment for 4 TVs plus taxes and fees. home telephone is Ooma and is ~$15/month with unlimited talk nationwide.

Your $121 for internet and TV doesn't seem too bad to me.

My internet only from Spectrum is $65/month for blazing speed (over 100 mbps)... and I'm getting a $20/month promotional credit for the first 12 months. My TV package through Dish is ~$65/month.... $20 for a very basic programming package and $40 for equipment for 4 TVs plus taxes and fees. home telephone is Ooma and is ~$15/month with unlimited talk nationwide.

Your $121 for internet and TV doesn't seem too bad to me.

Bolded - this is what I had for the first 12 months. I was happy with the $45, but wondering if I can do better than the current $65.

I just reduced my Verizon Fios bill by $30/month. I got a bigger channel package, upped the speed from 25mb to 50mb, landline unlimited and a new router. Total is still about $180/ month but once I kill off Showtime, that will drop another $16/month. There’s no contract but the price is good for 2 years. We’ll see what the landscape looks like at that time.

Bolded - this is what I had for the first 12 months. I was happy with the $45, but wondering if I can do better than the current $65.

I was previously paying $65/month for DSL with much slower speed so I'll happy with the $65 with blazing speed. I had been with the DSL provider for a long time and didn't really want to change but they refused to give me the same deal as a new customer (I was willing to comit to a new contract)... so I told them I was leaving... and I did.

Sling TV?

I've been reading a lot about Sling TV, and it sounds like a good deal. You get to choose your own channels - and we're interested in watching only 7 or 8 of them. I can Sling through my current Dish router, and as a result, Dish charges me only for the monthly router use - not for the channels (if I'm reading correctly).

Has anyone here used Sling?

Thanks,

Roy in New Mexico

I've been reading a lot about Sling TV, and it sounds like a good deal. You get to choose your own channels - and we're interested in watching only 7 or 8 of them. I can Sling through my current Dish router, and as a result, Dish charges me only for the monthly router use - not for the channels (if I'm reading correctly).

Thanks,

Roy in New Mexico

We use Sling and like it. We pay for Sling Blue for $25 and then a bunch of ad ons for a total of $45 monthly all in. We had to buy Roku devices which work with Sling.

When we decided to use a streaming service we considered Sling. In order to get the specific channels we wanted (which are relatively few) we would have had to get both the blue and orange plan. That would have been OKish but it was missing both ABC and CBS and I preferred in possible to get ABC, CBS, and NBC if possible. SlingTV was the most deficient of the services we considered. We ended up with DirectvNow and will probably try Hulu Live when our 3 months at DTVN is up.

We use Sling and like it. We pay for Sling Blue for $25 and then a bunch of ad ons for a total of $45 monthly all in. We had to buy Roku devices which work with Sling.

My router is a "Dish with Sling" device, so I was thinking I would avoid Dish's regular cable services, and use the Sling Internet service instead. However, if it will end up costing the same, I'll stick with what I have. It's not a "bad" service, but it's an expensive one, because our favorite channels are spread out over all 3 of Dish's "tiers". Also, I'd estimate that almost a third of what we see is commercials. (We're paying to watch commercials, in other words. I know you can't get around that, but I will keep looking for a loophole :)

Roy

Last edited:
I was at a computer forum for retirees a couple months ago and one women there said she and her husband cut the cable entirely. But........

With their new use of the internet for live streaming of shows, movies,and other media their bandwidth usage has increased significantly. ComCast is now adding a penalty to their monthly Internet Only bill because of their much higher useage.

They get you coming and going.

The left hand and right dont know whats going on at ATT/Direct Tv. I got a letter last month stating I accepted a $30 bill reduction for 24 months. I got my bill today and no discount was there. I call them up and get routed to two different branches and neither had a clue about this. I even read them the letter. After 45 minutes all is well that ends well. They gave me $60 reduction monthly for 12months.

The left hand and right dont know whats going on at ATT/Direct Tv. I got a letter last month stating I accepted a $30 bill reduction for 24 months. I got my bill today and no discount was there. I call them up and get routed to two different branches and neither had a clue about this. I even read them the letter. After 45 minutes all is well that ends well. They gave me $60 reduction monthly for 12months.

DirecTV is part of ATT? That's interesting news.

Roy in New Mexico

Back
Top Bottom