Reeling in the deficit

CybrMike

Recycles dryer sheets
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-01-05-budget_x.htm?csp=34

House votes to link spending changes, tax shifts
Updated 1/5/2007 2:10 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

House Republicans praised Democrats' efforts to require greater disclosure of lawmakers' earmarks.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House, in its second day of Democratic reign, changed budget rules that have allowed deficits to swell with lawmakers' pet projects and President Bush's tax cuts.
The rule changes voted Friday could bedevil efforts later to appease middle-class voters.

One rule requires that tax cuts have corresponding cuts in government spending or tax increases elsewhere to pay for them. Likewise, any increase in entitlement programs like Medicare would have to have corresponding tax increases, or equal cuts in other government programs, under the pay-as-you-go rule reinstated Friday. It was adopted 280-154.

If strictly enforced, the PAYGO rule would make it difficult for Democrats to pass increases in federal benefit programs such as Medicare or the Medicaid health care program for the poor or disabled. In the near term, it would mean Democrats' bill to cut student loan rates will be less generous than they'd like. The rule would also threaten efforts to extend Bush's tax cuts, most of which expire at the end of 2010.

"This is putting the American taxpayer on a collision course with higher taxes," said Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, top Republican on the Budget Committee.

"Today, we are cutting our national credit card," countered Heath Shuler, D-N.C., during floor debate Friday. To underscore the point, Shuler cut a credit card in half at a news conference populated by moderate-to-conservative "Blue Dog" Democrats who are most responsible for implementing the rule.

At the same time, House lawmakers passed a Democratic proposal to require lawmakers to disclose publicly the pet projects — referred to as earmarks in legislative terms — they want for their districts or states, such as Alaska's bridge to nowhere in the last Congress. Republicans had made a similar move last year, and GOP critics of pet projects applauded Democrats' efforts to require greater disclosure.

Still, only about a fourth of the Republicans voted for the earmark disclosures because it was linked to the PAYGO rule that will make it harder to extend the tax cuts set to expire in four years.

The emphasis on earmark reform came in the wake of the Randy "Duke" Cunningham scandal, in which the former California GOP congressman pleaded guilty to corruption charges for channeling earmarks to defense contractors in exchange for $2.4 million in bribes. Lesser scandals have hit other lawmakers.

The PAYGO and earmark proposals come a day after Democrats seized control of Congress for the first time in 12 years, with a jubilant Nancy Pelosi becoming the first woman ever to rise to speaker of the House.

NEW SPEAKER: Pelosi promises big results

Pelosi, D-Calif., will exert vast influence over the congressional agenda and stands second in the line of succession to the presidency. In her first step as speaker, she orchestrated bipartisan 430-1 passage of a measure banning lawmakers from accepting gifts and free trips from lobbyists and discounted trips on private planes. Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind., cast the sole "nay" vote.

Democratic budget hawks, especially the moderate-to-conservative "Blue Dogs," say that restoring the PAYGO rule is crucial to curbing the budget deficit. Various forms of the rule were in place from 1990-2002, however, and Congress often found ways around it.

The version adopted Friday can easily be waived. Still, the incoming chairman of the Budget Committee, John Spratt Jr., D-S.C., touted it as better than the status quo.

"You've got to offset those tax cuts," Spratt said. "And if you want to enhance an entitlement, you've got to pay for it."

Democrats left in place — for now — a GOP rule limiting committee chairmen to three two-year terms.

Another rule change, adopted 430-0, would curb past abuses in which GOP leaders held votes open for hours and excluded Democratic lawmakers from House-Senate negotiations on the language of final bills sent to the White House for enactment.

Former GOP Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier of California said he supported the reforms but complained that the new rules could easily be sidestepped — and that more extensive reforms once demanded by Democrats had been left out.

CybrMike said:
One rule requires that tax cuts have corresponding cuts in government spending or tax increases elsewhere to pay for them. Likewise, any increase in entitlement programs like Medicare would have to have corresponding tax increases, or equal cuts in other government programs, under the pay-as-you-go rule reinstated Friday. It was adopted 280-154.

The favorable tax treatment of capital gains are as good as gone--they'll probably be used to offset the cost of natonwide mandatory sensitivity training. Time to sell your winners before 2010.

One big problem in actually implementing this "pay as you go" thang is the difficulty in determining how much a tax cut will raise, or how much a new tax will bring in. The estimates are notoriously inaccurate, seldom anticipating the second- and third-order impacts. Surprise--people respond to changes in the tax code by changing their behavior. Anyone remember the yacht tax?

The move to make earmarks more noticeable and identify who is behind them seems like a good, well overdue reform.

Oh well, the circus continues . . .

yawn.... a freshly squeezed pile of steaming hot CRAP, from politicians who have no intentions of keeping their promises. Reps, Dems, it matters little, they are both prolific spenders with no discipline.
Yeah, I'm disgusted :mad:

There is a difference in political parties.

The Democrats take all of my money and give it to the poor people. However...

The Republicans take all of my money and give it to the rich people.

See - they aren't the same.

Such cynics.

Its your taxes. Its your spending. Its also your debt.

Do I really think the Dems are going to be able to hold the spending line? --dunno. Clinton seems to have been able to with a Republican Congress. Maybe the Dems can with a Republican President. The one thing I do know is that with both a Republican Congress and a Republican President there was an absolute inability to even reach for balance in the budgetary process and accountability in the political process.

I say Paygo is a good idea. Would like to see some discipline in Washington. If it means less from the Government for us, so be it, but at lease lets start to be honest!

tio z said:
Such cynics.

Its your taxes. Its your spending. Its also your debt.

Do I really think the Dems are going to be able to hold the spending line? --dunno. Clinton seems to have been able to with a Republican Congress. Maybe the Dems can with a Republican President. The one thing I do know is that with both a Republican Congress and a Republican President there was an absolute inability to even reach for balance in the budgetary process and accountability in the political process.

I say Paygo is a good idea. Would like to see some discipline in Washington. If it means less from the Government for us, so be it, but at lease lets start to be honest!
Thank you! The Cynics were an influential school of ancient philosophers. :) I am in esteemed company!

Seriously, there is no meaningful difference between the two parties. The democrats are corrupt. The republicans are corrupt. Dems are tax and spend liberals, reps are tax and spend conservatives. Both parties create bigger and bigger entitlements and spending. the two parties are now effectively one.

IMHO, anyone who believes that there are real differences between these two groups, is either a partisan wonk, or a political fool. :LOL:

anyone who believes that there are real differences between these two groups, is either a partisan wonk, or a political fool
i am neither a wonk nor a fool, and while i do believe there are real differences, i would agree that any either party in control would have the result of increased taxes and increased spending.

There is a difference in political parties.

The Democrats take all of my money and give it to the poor people. However...

The Republicans take all of my money and give it to the rich people.

See - they aren't the same.

Aye!

samclem said:
The favorable tax treatment of capital gains are as good as gone--they'll probably be used to offset the cost of natonwide mandatory sensitivity training. Time to sell your winners before 2010.

Apologies:
I'm ignorant of selling stock. I've never done it.
I'm off-topic but saw an opening to ask a question.

Question for anyone who can or will offer an answer:
I have some Chevron stock and am thinking of selling some of it to put elsewhere. I have been afraid to do so because I don't know if the 15% is all the impact I will see. Can doing this cause the AMT to kick in? If not, is the 15% on the sell the only affect I will see on my total taxes? The amount sold before taxes probably won't exceed $35K.

[Tadpole ... best is to estimate your 2007 tax data, and use something like TurboTax ... or use your 2006 data and assume the sale occurred last year to see if alt min kicks in. Will vary with your personal circumstances.]

Regarding the cynicism ... consider:
... under the pay-as-you-go rule reinstated Friday. It was adopted 280-154. If strictly enforced, ...
... she orchestrated bipartisan 430-1 passage of a measure banning lawmakers from accepting gifts and free trips ...
... restoring the PAYGO rule is crucial to curbing the budget deficit. Various forms of the rule were in place from 1990-2002, however, and Congress often found ways around it.
Another rule change, adopted 430-0, would curb past abuses in which GOP leaders held votes open for hours ...

Look at the lopsided votes, and the weasle words. This is chest thumping. For most of us on these forums, we've heard about how Congress is going to fix this stuff for decades (and, for decades before any of us were born ...). Right.

Yawn indeed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom