Refinance rules change for some underwater mortgages

Sorry I have not read all posts, so excuse me if duplicated.

The downside I see is that our gov't again is picking winners and losers, and providing a benefit to one segment of the population at the expense of others.

I think that the reduced revenue from these revised loans will be borne by all other customers of those same banks. Perhaps they could add something that gives the money back to the banks later? For example, go to longer term loans, essentially stretching out the payments to get the loan more affordable without reducing overall fees?

Regarding GNMA, look at clifp's earlier post. These are backed by the Feds, foreclosures do not affect the GNMA as I understand.

Bigger picture, I don't know if that backing comes out of the mortgage payments themselves (like PBGC backing comes from the pension funds it covers), or if it comes out of the Feds general funds. If it is out of general funds, then it is all a big shell game, and the taxpayer pays either way.

-ERD50

Defaults in a GNMA pool have the same effect as a refi as far as the investor is concerned.

Yep... wasn't thinking just of GNMA when I wrote it, but if you are in a GNMA fund you don't have expose to the other mortgage bonds...

You do not take into account the people that might just walk away from their mortgage because they are under water and can not refinance... this is a very hard number to pin down, but it is not zero... .

But we do have to consider that the folks who qualify for refi under this new program are people who have been making their payments. It excludes the group who has stopped making payments and are just squatting in their properties waiting (and possibly waiting a looooong time) to be tossed out. It's the later group, IMO, that are the likely ones to strip out the fixtures and copper and walk away.

But, as you say, a hard number to pin down and purely speculative.

Last edited:
Does it help the economy? I dunno. Clifp's mom and lots of others lose money for every dollar that doesn't get paid according to the previous loan, so that's money that she won't be spending and generating jobs.

The problem with the housing market is that a lot of folks are stuck in houses that are underwater. They can't move and take new jobs because they can't afford to pay off the loan. This proposal doesn't help them a bit--they still owe just as much as they ever did. They'll be able to move on only when they either 1) default on the loan, take their hit and move on to pick up the pieces or
2) Economic growth picks up leading to RE appreciation so that their home's value equals the balance due on their mortgage.

People get themselves in negative equity situations for all kinds of reasons (see Nords' post). The market deals with it. It causes hardship for many. Just exactly why is it the government's business to pick winners and losers this time, putting taxpayers at risk (somebody's gonna guarantee these new loans--the ones being written without regard to the home's value and the borrower's ability to pay, and without the higher interest rate such a risky loan ought to carry) and hurting the buyers of MBS who also "played by the rules. . ."

IMO this is to target post bubble mortgages, nearly all of which were backed by Fannie and Freddie. We have all these mortgages between 2005 and 2009 which required only 3% down and thus are underwater. Interestingly, many of these homes were foreclosures. This may help prevent having to foreclose on the foreclosures.

I can really feel both sides of this issue. Worked hard, saved like mad and paid off two houses, now worth little more than I paid years ago. At least there's no mortgage. Now I'm ready to retire. GNMA fund, TBM fund, and 1.75% 5yr CD's. Not so fast.
Two of my kids have homes bought since 2005. I had no idea one had one of those 80/20 mortgages with a 5 yr balloon. We got through that with $$$ and falling interest rates. Both are underwater but I am confident they will pay them off. Of course anything can happen.
My inclination is that if I can work through it with very limited resources why can't everyone. However I also know its not that simple.

Defaults in a GNMA pool have the same effect as a refi as far as the investor is concerned.

Brewer is right, when defaults happen. Freddie/Fannie pay off the investor and then, the GNMA fund manager has to reinvest the money at a lower interest rate.

People get themselves in negative equity situations for all kinds of reasons (see Nords' post). The market deals with it. It causes hardship for many. Just exactly why is it the government's business to pick winners and losers this time, putting taxpayers at risk (somebody's gonna guarantee these new loans--the ones being written without regard to the home's value and the borrower's ability to pay, and without the higher interest rate such a risky loan ought to carry) and hurting the buyers of MBS who also "played by the rules. . ."

Samclem raises an important point what happens to these new loans at a lower rate. Does Fannie bundle them and sell them to investors or does Fannie keep them on their books? If Fannie sells them who is in the market to buy a bunch of 15 to 30 year loans that pay 3.5-4.5% that are all at least 25% underwater? At least at 6.5% rate the investor/Uncle Sam is get some compensation for these risky loans.

On the other hand, the lower interest rates are causing people like Lostgator to at least consider selling off assets to make themselves eligible for a refinance. I doubt he would consider selling his beach lot, if the government gave him an opportunity to refi without coming up with additional funds. I'd argue that for people like him who are overleveraged that this program encourages them to remain that way and this is not a good thing.

Oh so there is inalienable right to refinance a mortgage.
Let see the guy who lost his job can't refinance, nor the couple that divorced, maybe not even the small business owner who's income dropped 30%. Probably even the little old lady who is depending on income from her investments and saw it drop by 1/3..

Lots of people can't refinance the whole concept is that you have to re qualify for the loan. A secured loan (aka mortgage) has two components is the borrower willing and able to pay back the loan?, and is there sufficient collateral so that the lender can be made whole if they default. You need both aspects This is banking 101.
Nothing said about inalienable rights. This is about the opportunity to refinance. There were rules in place discouraging lenders and impeding borrowers. Removing the rules to let the lenders and borrowers make a better deal. They both want this.

Does it help the economy? I dunno. Clifp's mom and lots of others lose money for every dollar that doesn't get paid according to the previous loan, so that's money that she won't be spending and generating jobs.

The problem with the housing market is that a lot of folks are stuck in houses that are underwater. They can't move and take new jobs because they can't afford to pay off the loan. This proposal doesn't help them a bit--they still owe just as much as they ever did. They'll be able to move on only when they either 1) default on the loan, take their hit and move on to pick up the pieces or
2) Economic growth picks up leading to RE appreciation so that their home's value equals the balance due on their mortgage.

Not sure if it helps the economy, but nobody said that was a requirement. It definitely does help homeowners stuck with negative mortgages by lowering the cost and letting them stay until they can sell once again. The gov't is not picking any winners or losers here. Just letting two parties get together. [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Samclem raises an important point what happens to these new loans at a lower rate. Does Fannie bundle them and sell them to investors or does Fannie keep them on their books? If Fannie sells them who is in the market to buy a bunch of 15 to 30 year loans that pay 3.5-4.5% that are all at least 25% underwater? At least at 6.5% rate the investor/Uncle Sam is get some compensation for these risky loans.
I would assume new loans will be packaged and sold as new MBS at market rates. If new investors are willing to accept the lower rates, that is how they should be priced. Market forces and all...

So what happens if you are otherwise eligible but also have a second on the house?

Sorry I have not read all posts, so excuse me if duplicated.
I'm always confused by posters who (1) admit this and (2) still feel qualified to chip in.

I can understand it for threads like "What did you do today?" or "Tell us about your ___" or polls.

But I'm not certain how a contribution in the absence of reading keeps the thread from becoming a reciprocated diatribe-- or just a roomful of people all talking at once.

But I'm not certain how a contribution in the absence of reading keeps the thread from becoming a reciprocated diatribe-- or just a roomful of people all talking at once.
At a cocktail party, I can tell by watching a group of people that many are just formulating what they want to say rather than listening actively to the others. So I guess it is human nature. When you actively listen, you often loose the opportunity to chime in.

Not agreeing with it. One of the reasons I prefer one-on-one conversations rather than group discussions.

(And I think HARP will have as much success as TARP. Some will benefit but most will not.):cool:

There was a lot of post about the yield of GNMA... but there was an article or blog in the Houston Chronicle that said it did not include GNMA loans...

Has anybody seen if it does:confused:

Last edited:
But what about those of us whose loan is not through Fannie Mae/Mac?

You are probably out of luck since this program is under the HARP program which only covers Fannie/Freddie loans.

The gov't is not picking any winners or losers here. Just letting two parties get together. [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
The change in government rules does allocate winners and losers. With the restacked deck, Mr Underwater Homeowner is a winner, clifp's mom is a loser (nothing personal, clifp!).

The new loans will be originated without the normal fees charged by the GSEs. These fees covered many of the ancillary costs of originating any loan. Well, guess who is going to wind up eating those costs--taxpayers.

Until they allow the parties to come together without government funding, without government subsidies for these low-interest risky loans (and that's what a 100++% LTV, no income verification loan is--a very risky loan), and without ceding any of the rights we now have to punish those who wrote the fraudulent loans in the first place, then it's just not accurate to portray it as anything other than a government bailout that punishes the prudent and puts us all at risk. Who is going to buy these now-even-more-terrible loans?

Of course the mortgageholders like it--it's money in their pocket. They are in an unfortunate situation. I was in an unfortunate situation when my equities took a dive in 2008--where was the government program to help stockholders who were underwater in 2008? Why would anyone even consider such a program? We know that investing (in a home, stocks, bonds, etc) has risks, that mortgage rates can go up and down, and that we can lose money. Same thing.

Last edited:
The change in government rules does allocate winners and losers. With the restacked deck, Mr Underwater Homeowner is a winner, clifp's mom is a loser (nothing personal, clifp!).

The new loans will be originated without the normal fees charged by the GSEs. These fees covered many of the ancillary costs of originating any loan. Well, guess who is going to wind up eating those costs--taxpayers.

Of course the mortgageholders like it--it's money in their pocket. They are in an unfortunate situation. I was in an unfortunate situation when my equities took a dive in 2008--where was the government program to help stockholders who were underwater in 2008? Why would anyone even consider such a program? We know that investing (in a home, stocks, bonds, etc) has risks, that mortgage rates can go up and down, and that we can lose money. Same thing.

You and I are in complete in sync. To be clear it isn't just my mom, if you own the Vanguard Total Bond market roughly 1/3 is in mortgage back securities who's yield will drop and price already has, PIMCO has 38% of its assets in MBS (almost all of these are government backed).

Fundamentally I am still trying to understand why people who's value of their homes has dropped should get some type of special compensation.
Their gain is our loss. One of the long term consequence of changing the rules mid stream is that it make these type of investment less attractive in the future. I've been shifting out of GNMA both for myself and my mom the last year or so, this is only going accelerate my move, and if lots of investor start to feel the same way this will drive up long term mortgage rates for everyone.

I think it is important to distinguish this situation from the fairly common problem where a person, bought a house and then suffered a huge financial setback due to medical problem or job loss. I have sympathy for these
people and can understand programs that try to keep them in their houses.

It has obviously be a horrible few years for the economy. Some what lost in all the bad news about unemployment is the flip side of 9% unemployment rate is that it means 91% of the population is working. Now I realize that unemployment statistic understates the problem. However, I believe somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of Americans are basically earning what they were before the crisis. Now I am sure the pay raises have been near zero, some benefits have been cut, inflation has continue to decrease their purchasing power, but basically they have same income now as this few years ago. (Of course the value of their assets has almost certainly dropped so the feel poorer, more uncertain).

For the most part this program is designed to benefit those 75%, so my fundamental to questions Micheal and other is what is so special about this group of people that us savers should sacrifice income for their benefit? Our incomes have take a big hit, theres may or may not have.

I think one of the thing that aggravates the housing problem is when politician and pundit talk about the situation they talk about how people lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on their houses. First of all most people only put down 10-20% even if they walked away they rarely lost more than $100,000. Second and more importantly just like an under water stock it is a not loss until you sell the same thing is true for houses. I was careful in 2008, to use the word paper losses, when I said I joined the million dollar stock loss club. If you are 20% underwater today in 5-10 years there is decent chance you can do a traditional 80% refi. Just like stock prices have come back from the 2008 lows.

The other thing which politicians forget is that their are two component to owning property, one is the value of the investment and the other is the value as place to live. Certainly the person who bought my Vegas condo in 2005 for just under $195K and saw it value drop to 50K made a horrible investment. (Although the bank took most of the loss). But the drop in the price houses has little (except in the case of mass foreclosure) impact on the value of them as place to live.

For instance, when I look at my condo, I wonder what if the person instead of walking away had stayed and made the payments. I calculate that if 2005 owner had put 20% on the condo, with 6% loan their house payments include condo fees, taxes and insurance would $1200/month today, if they only put 5% down the payments would be around $1,400/month with 6.5% loan. Now the place is nothing too special 2 bdr, 2 bath 1150', but it is certainly respectable working class housing. (Much nicer than some places I've lived) At 1200-1400/month much nicer than places in Hawaii, California, and much of the east coast for the same price. More importantly somebody making an average income of $45-50,000 can afford to spend $1200-1,400/month on housing. In fact, I suspect that if we pasted a law, banning any discussion of housing prices, the 2005 owner would happily living in the property not feeling any poorer.

Obviously the renter renting the same place today at $700 (my current lower asking price :() is getting an even better deal as far as value for a place to live. Of course in 24 years the 2005 buyer will own the property free and clear and the renter will still be paying rent. So who knows will be the ultimate winner.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. The price of stocks, and houses can change very rapidly. The value of both changes much more slowly. I think it is instructive the government has made only modest attempts to drive up stock prices and yet in 3 years, the market has gone from being very undervalued to more or less fairly valued. The government's attempts to hurry the process in the real estate market have been pretty much abject failures, they should just get out of the way and let the market work.

Last edited:
Samclem:

Winners and losers. Clifp’s mother is an investor, like the rest of us. She is not losing anything. We all need to look harder to find investment opportunities.

Homeowners with >125% negative equity are losers any way you look at it. But they do benefit – a little from the fees and hopefully much more from the opportunity to refinance.

There is no gov’t subsidy that wasn’t already there. Whether or not the gov’t should be involved in mortgages is not the point and not relevant to this program. The bolded part about gov’t not bailing out stockholders – ok. Nothing to do with this, though.

Clifp

No special compensation for these homeowners. Sorry it is so difficult to invest your mother’s portfolio – but that is not the consequence of this program. It is hard to invest and risks abound. If this rule change makes that great an impact in her portfolio, maybe the portfolio needs greater diversification.

I didn’t really get the rest of your post, except the question “what is so special about this group of people that us savers should sacrifice income for their benefit?” That is a fair question. I don’t think there is anything special about them, except, like many other homeowners, want to refinance, the banks want to lend to them, but couldn’t. So rules preventing the banks from lending are removed. It does not solve their problems, and it only affects a small group.

Us savers are making no sacrifice.

My view of this program: I don't care for the fees waiver, but the reasoning is clear. If the outcome of this is 3/4 of the 1M homes will have zero or positive equity in 5 years, good. If this serves as a template for private mortgage refinancing of negative equity, good.

It’s hard to say which way is better. If a lot of underwater homeowners (delinquent or not) take the option of strategic walk-away, then banks have to swallow the loss, so do the investors (including everyone with retirement savings). That’s probably where the deficiency judgment is originally meant for. OTOH, if government is allowed to pick winners and losers in this situation, the final outcome will be controversial and uncertain unless we know for sure that the chosen winners will be majority, demographically evenly distributed. Politicians never cease playing odds between debt and unemployment to increase their chances of (re)election. I’m afraid until everyone is (in)voluntarily to be responsible for his/her own decisions, actions and any associated consequences, there is no easy way to get out of this perpetual mess mode.

I forgot who said that US dollar “is out currency, but your problem”. We haven’t reached the red heat point where Greece has now in this country yet. I think we (as “winner” or “diluter”) got lucky so far because we can freely dilute (or shall we say rob) the savings of other people (as “loser” or “dilutee”), including people outside of US as well, by creating virtual money out of thin air, but Greece can not. If US dollar loses its status of reserve currency, we could be ended in a shape much worse than Greece now. I truly hope I will be proven to be wrong, but until then my sense tells me that the worst hasn’t come yet.

Yesterday the government announced that, due to a change in policy, holders of government-backed student loans will now get more favorable terms. There will be no changes for holders of private student loans--they get the deal they originally negotiated, unless both parties decide to change things (without a taxpayer sweetener--the way business is usually conducted).

And, of course in the mortgage program we are discussing here, only holders of loans backed by the government get the benefit of a "reboot," all external costs at taxpayer expense, loss in value of the loan contracts paid for by those suckers who bought the securities because they thought the government would stick to its word. Those with private mortgages--sorry, no changes. They get the deal they originally negotiated. Just like normal.

So, here we have two cases where government loans compete with private ones in the marketplace. In both cases folks who chose the government product now get a gift from taxpayers. I think future borrowers considering whether to get a private or government loan (or private or government health insurance, etc) will certainly factor this into the equation. This "eventual taxpayer gift premium" (ETGP) will make it even more difficult for private businesses to compete with the government in the future--which I think strikes some folks as just great.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that there is so much made about this program and the loss of income etc. etc....

What about the FED keeping rates so low:confused: That hurts all bondholders... heck, anything where you earn interest.... I think that is where someone can put up a stink...

This program, when all is said and done will probably not even register on the economy...

I find it interesting that there is so much made about this program and the loss of income etc. etc....

What about the FED keeping rates so low:confused: That hurts all bondholders... heck, anything where you earn interest.... I think that is where someone can put up a stink...

This program, when all is said and done will probably not even register on the economy...
Agree

Yesterday the government announced that, due to a change in policy, holders of government-backed student loans will now get more favorable terms. There will be no changes for holders of private student loans--they get the deal they originally negotiated, unless both parties decide to change things (without a taxpayer sweetener--the way business is usually conducted).

And, of course in the mortgage program we are discussing here, only holders of loans backed by the government get the benefit of a "reboot," all external costs at taxpayer expense, loss in value of the loan contracts paid for by those suckers who bought the securities because they thought the government would stick to its word. Those with private mortgages--sorry, no changes. They get the deal they originally negotiated. Just like normal.

So, here we have two cases where government loans compete with private ones in the marketplace. In both cases folks who chose the government product now get a gift from taxpayers. I think future borrowers considering whether to get a private or government loan (or private or government health insurance, etc) will certainly factor this into the equation. This "eventual taxpayer gift premium" (ETGP) will make it even more difficult for private businesses to compete with the government in the future--which I think strikes some folks as just great.
If you are referring to "Help Americans Manage Student Loan Debt", it's only a proposal, it is for debt consolidation and not new loans.

Agree

If you are referring to "Help Americans Manage Student Loan Debt", it's only a proposal, it is for debt consolidation and not new loans.
It's "only a proposal" that will be accomplished by executive order, so it requires no one's approval but the president. Since he's the one who announced it, I think we can count on the proposal becoming policy in January, just as was announced.

Yes, as you mentioned it allows many federally-backed loans to be consolidated. It provides for a 1/2% cut in the interest rates to be paid, reduces the minimum payment to 10% of income rather than the 15% the students agreed to, and allows for forgiveness of unpaid balances after 20 years instead of the 25 to which the students agreed. It's quite a deal--again at the expense of savers and investors who trusted the government. Ha ha on them.

More.

It's "only a proposal" that will be accomplished by executive order, so it requires no one's approval but the president. Since he's the one who announced it, I think we can count on the proposal becoming policy in January, just as was announced.

Yes, as you mentioned it allows many federally-backed loans to be consolidated. It provides for a 1/2% cut in the interest rates to be paid, reduces the minimum payment to 10% of income rather than the 15% the students agreed to, and allows for forgiveness of unpaid balances after 20 years instead of the 25 to which the students agreed. It's quite a deal--again at the expense of savers and investors who trusted the government. Ha ha on them.

More.

From your link:

"Congress passed similar measures last year, but they are not set to go into effect until July 2014."

I don't know how similar, but if it is like what Obama is proposing, then it is only a timing issue and not a change of debt issue...

Back
Top Bottom