REIT & Energy

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It seems that energy sector funds are steaming while REITs are on their down. May be it's time to get rid of REITs and put the proceeds to money market.

Interesting thing Spanky is I currently do not have a position in REITs. Call it timing or whatever else. I don't see the logic in initiating a new position or adding to positions in REIT index funds/ETFs as of now. Most of a REITs return is in the form of a dividend, 90% or so, and with dividends at the low end historically. It just doesn't make sense to be so bullish on REIT index funds/ETFs IMHO. I guess that was totally unBernstein like but oh well. If I owned REITs I would skim down the low (read bottom) end of the allocation. If I didn't own REITs I would not initiate a position.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although you have received dividends from REITs, you will lose any capital appreciation from those funds if/when RE crashes.

Personally, I don't think RE will crash as in globally, but it will collect it's share of foreclosures, stagnant sales, and a buyers market. I'm not a stock guru by any means, but it seems to me that the market might also be going down for a fall. Very overpriced, Inflation right around the corner, higher interest rates have to go up, and oil is up again (too high). We have also become a importing nation and produce little other than bad debt (which will be harder to dismiss this fall).

I've been reading Siegle (The Future for Investors : Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New) & Schreiber (All About Dividend Investing) and they provide persuasive, compelling research to pursue dividend investing. When the market goes down, dividends will be able to purchase more shares cheaper than ever.

Back
Top Bottom