Join Early Retirement Today

REITs: boom or bust
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

REITs: boom or bust

What does everyone think of REITs ? I've owned them for quite a while now and have done reeeeaaaaallllllyyy well with them ! I have stuff like HCP, FRT, EOP, NNN, and ASN. But if the real estate market BUSTs, what will happen to the REITs. I'm thinking that this BOOM market is mainly in housing, not commercial stuff like the REITs that I own, so no big deal when the BUST comes; am I right ?

Ray
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: REITs: boom or bust
Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would have to agree. I only own one REIT (commercial) but it's done fairly well also. I believe that it will be okay as long as the economy keeps humming along even if there's a rise in interest rates.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a heated run for the last 5 years, many pople believe it will cool off.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
After a heated run for the last 5 years, many pople believe it will cool off.
If you bellieve in mean reversion, then you have to think they will somehow make up for their superior performance. However, that can come from lower long term performance, and does not have to lead to a bust.

They also server an important role from a diversification standpoint that should not be overlooked.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Since my Vanguard REIT Index has an R squared 7-11ish - then a 'true' slice and dicer would want it to drop like a shot - making use of correlation.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #6

Well, the performance on REITS will be directly correlated between long-term interest rates, and indirectly by the overall economy.

If the (so-called) risk-free interest rate (US Long-term bonds) rise, then the relatively riskier REITs will have to adjust to yield more with their risk premium (exact amount of which to be determined). Also, if the economy starts to go South, it could likely effect rent rates (exact opposite of low rates drawing people from renting into buying houses, and impacting housing rental rates).

So, the two biggest factors are simply long-term rates and overall economic health. As long as long term rates don't jump up to 7%, and assuming modest growth in earnings/FFO for REITs, then they should perform in-line with the market (they've already skyrocketed 30%/year for 3 years, so the supermajority of the gains have already been realized).

My REIT holdings total
10% of my tax-advantaged accounts
5% of my taxable
6% of my overall equity accounts (reduce percentages by 1/4 to reflect percentages of total net worth).

My REIT holdings are:
PCC
JRS
SRO
IGR
AHR
AMV (Danger Will Robinson - Dividend Suspended by the board of the insane and incompetent directors
CLP*
LXP*
HCN*
OHI*
PLD*

*Participating in their DRIP plan, which offers a DISCOUNT (from 1% to 5%) for reinvested dividends! Some of the above even let you buy your initial purchase direct and then give you a discount off of your initial purchase!

I also have a few preferred stocks in REIT stocks, but those don't really count....
Old 06-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #7

I think the next few months would be the time to 'rebalance' out of REITs. They've had there big run. Get the heck out of Dodge. This is my conservative position.

If you own apartment REITs, you know that rents are mildly depressed because everyone has rushed into buying new homes (remember the housing bubble) and consequently there are more vacancies whick drive rents lower. I don't see apartment revenue in general going up in the near or mid-term future.

Commercial REITs are walking on the razor's edge: On one side the possibility of a recession; on the other is the possibility of inflation. Because REITs are bond-like they go down when inflation creeps into the economy.

Of course, like that not-th fellow, who the heck knows where to actually find a risk free invenstment. All my invenstments have some problems.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
..who the heck knows where to actually find a risk free invenstment.
While it is true that a totaly risk-free investment does not exist, some are more risker than others. T-bills or T-bonds are considered risk-free even though there is a small possibility that the government may forfeit their debt obligations. That applies to human existence also - an asteroid could hit earth at any time.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #9

Spanky: I am prepared for an asteroid hit. Therefore, it won't happen . I've changed my name because DW doesn't like DHs that tell lame lawyer jokes. I'm now in hiding.

Because of my razor's edge problem I've sort of created my own mini-hedge fund (of course, DW will get half of these brilliant mistakes if I keep telling lame jokes and she finds out who I really am/are/may become--shhh): I pair very safe income investments (US bonds?) with precious metal shares (gold). If we have a recession the gov't should continue to pay me interest on my bonds. If inflation takes off gold goes up (usually?). PM shares are leveraged to the price of gold about 3:1, much like GM is leveraged to the price of cars. If car prices go up 2% GM is even more profitabe--given that everthing else at GM stays the same--haha (not a lawyer joke). So if gold goes up 2%, the stock price of gold shares goes up 6%. Wha la! Safe investment.

The old adage that I read years ago was that investors should maintain 10% of their portfolio in gold, real gold. This is done not to make money but to have a safe haven--an historically stable asset--if the world gets hit by an asteroid--or just if something unexpected happens. Not like that will ever happen to anyone. In our times, many people overlook gold as an investment device.

By having a foot in both the deflation and inflation world, I don't make as much money as everyone else. But if something happens, DW will always have enough money to dye her hair blue in the rest home, plus tip the cute hairdresser guy. If I stop telling lawyer jokes which I, of course, am very, very sorry for doing .

I rebalance as needed.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
While it is true that a totaly risk-free investment does not exist, some are more risker than others. T-bills or T-bonds are considered risk-free even though there is a small possibility that the government may forfeit their debt obligations. That applies to human existence also - an asteroid could hit earth at any time.
Heres another risk to tbills and tbonds...they yield below what I think broad based actual inflation takes away.

Larger risk than an asteroid...being hit in the head by "blue ice". Hell of a way to go...:P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #11

Boom or Bust? What about Flat?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to bet reits always do well. Simply because I dont think theres going to be a lot of volatility in ownership. Most people that own reits are at least a little bit investment savvy and own them as part of a balanced asset class portfolio. If they really dropped, many of those investors would take that as a buying opp (right Charlie?). Having them roar upwards helps them ying something elses yang.

Without a lot of buying and selling volatility, will they move very much? I mean, compared to some common cheesy fund or a particular individual company stock?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

REITS are subject to interest rates and the local market conditions. When interest rates rise REITS will get dinged. Market condition go up and down depending on the product and location.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #14

notth--RE is mostly a moot point for me. I'm at about 25% in the aset allocation model. But the DW keeps trying to mess with that number . Hey, aren't you the guy with lead sinkers on his mind? Don't I know you?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl
REITS are subject to interest rates and the local market conditions. When interest rates rise REITS will get dinged. Market condition go up and down depending on the product and location.
Then how come rates have tripled in the last year and reits have continued to rise?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic
Don't I know you?
NO!
Old 06-18-2005, 01:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The SD for REIT's depending on where you look and time frame is ballpark 14 to 17ish.

Expect action if you hold them.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #18

Thought I would share this Economist article on real estate US and global

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ory_id=4079458

Old 06-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Then how come rates have tripled in the last year and reits have continued to rise?
Long-term rates, grasshopper....long-term rates. Do not be swayed by the short-term.

REITs are not normally compared to short-term rates, since most people make investment decisions in real estate using a fairly longer horizon...and, when making comparisons between two different asset classes (for example, when people use a common comparison between the 10-year Treasury yield and the yield on the S&P 500), they commonly opt for longer-term rates as the benchmark since that rate can be locked in for a significant time frame. If you look at 1-year CDs and say "well, I can get the same rate in this 1-year CD as I can in this REIT", you can't guarantee that rate past 1 year. REITs, on the other hand, are fairly stable enough to assume that yield will maintain (and hopefully grow) over time, so a longer maturity is required for a good analysis.

So, to respond to your question, while st rates have tripled, long term have remained, for the most part, flatlined.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Yet conventional wisdom also says that when short term rates rise, long term rates should also. When they dont, really really bad things are supposed to happen. Yet Sir Greenspan suggests that is not the case this time (the bad stuff happening).

So given that conventional wisdom is wrong twice so far in this matter, why wouldnt it be possible that the conventional wisdom regarding reits and interest rates also falter in this matter.

Also, is there any way possible I could be associated with a different kind of bug rather than a grasshopper? I just cant shake this lime green thing.