Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #161
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post

You don't lose 250 if your tax rate has gone down. You will have 250 more dollars taxed at a lower rate.

I would lose $250 in tax exemption. As for the tax rate, the lowest tax rate I would use is the same as it was, 10%.

But thanks to information posted here [and in spite of what both Forbes and Tax Foundation news articles say], it appears the over age 65 extra deduction is retained.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
Some people have mentioned this tax calculator.
Tax Plan Calculator by Maxim Lott
Read the disclaimers "About this site and FAQ"
and be aware that it is super-simplified with very basic features, though it appears correct in the hypothetical case where these few features were the entire tax code. Real results can be drastically different, so you need to know all the additional features that apply to you and realize they are not in this calculator. And for comparison, some major news websites have been having tax calculators that are more limited and error-prone, without disclosing the limitations.
Hey! I got a warning that 4 moderators are monitoring this-- thanks!

Thanks to those reading all 1095 pgs but I'm just trying to understand highlights (basic income, ACA, some deductions) missing a lot (cap gains / losses, dividends, interest, whether paying 110% of 2017 taxes satisfies 2018 estimates, ect)

That said, this is becoming clear as mud . Guess it'll keep TurboTax etal busy ramping up the estimate tax portion of their program or I'll need to see a CPA to know how much in estimates to pay next go-round
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Property tax collectors around the country are providing early billing for 2017 taxes normally billed and due in 2018.

My understanding of property tax prepayment, one can only prepay property taxes when the county allows and accepts that specific prepayment. That is, it's not just a credit balance on the account. The country usually does that with a prepayment invoice or similar document.
Here in New Jersey I get my Property Tax bills in August, for quarterly payments due August, November, February (2018) and June of 2018. So, I already know what my tax due amount is.
I believe I read every comment on this thread. I plan to prepay my February and June 2018 tax bills this week, and let the dust settle. I believe I can deduct the payments. If I'm wrong, then I lost a little bit of interest by prepaying. But at least I protected myself, and can research this at a more leisurely pace before I file my 2017 taxes.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #164

I'm paying April 10th taxes 12/29 as this looks like it's my last year itemizing
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #165

The various expiration dates of the new rules means we'll be repeating this sort of tax uncertainty several times during the decade ahead. Yes, taxes are tweaked year to year, but now major elements are scheduled to turn into a pumpkin at future midnights. I'd prefer to see less FUD built into the new rules.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
Some people have mentioned this tax calculator.
Read the disclaimers "About this site and FAQ"
and be aware that it is super-simplified with very basic features, though it appears correct in the hypothetical case where these few features were the entire tax code. Real results can be drastically different, so you need to know all the additional features that apply to you and realize they are not in this calculator. And for comparison, some major news websites have been having tax calculators that are more limited and error-prone, without disclosing the limitations.

I realize the results of this simplified calculator will vary significantly. But in my own case, it came very close to nailing my actual 2016 tax bill. So I'm going to take its estimate of about a $500 saving as pretty accurate.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

the 2018 personal exemptions were supposed to be $4150 and the standard deduction amount for married filing joint was supposed to hit $13,000. Just putting these in for reference when comparing the new 2018 plan's effect
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #168

I don't think I've itemized deductions in at least 20 years, ever since I paid off my mortgage.
Had always planned to either use qualified charitable distributions as RMDs when over 70 or contribute to a Donor Advised Fund at some "future" point to cover future charitable giving. This tax bill has finally motivated me to decide 2017 is the time to itemize deductions and fund a DAF as it will be impossible, given my finances, to ever itemize again. Maybe an opportunity again in 2025, but some provisions may become permanent in the meantime.

Last night I frantically searched for verbiage regarding interest exclusion from taxation if used for qualified educational expenses and was ecstatic that that option will be avialable in the future. Even though income a bit to high to take full advantage of this benefit in 2017, I was ready to move fast in cashing some EE bonds and deposit into a 529 plan. A third of both my sons education expenses were in these EE bonds. I'll have to make it happen in 2018.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post
Did you factor in the loss of $8,300 of personal exemptions for you and your spouse?
Yes.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think the confusion may be that the exemptions have been eliminated and the standard deduction expanded to compensate - and that is the language you quoted. But the over 65/blind is not covered by the eliminated exemptions as it was an additional standard deduction, not an exemption.
I read the relevant section twice and I am still confused.

So over 65 and blind gets an additional deduction of $6,700 or $12,000 or what?

Edit: It was answered by GotAdimple an additional $1550 for blind and seniors.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

LTCG rates

I have Googled around and cannot seem to find a clear answer on what the new LTCG/Dividends rates will be. Can someone please post them, or point me to them? Thanks.
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

No change.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The various expiration dates of the new rules means we'll be repeating this sort of tax uncertainty several times during the decade ahead. Yes, taxes are tweaked year to year, but now major elements are scheduled to turn into a pumpkin at future midnights. I'd prefer to see less FUD built into the new rules.
As far as I can tell all the changes that have expirations, have the same expiration date of 2026, and then revert to the current system.

except for the 7.5% of AGI medical deduction threshold which is only for 2017 and 2018. Then it goes back to 10%.

Not all the changes expire.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
LTCG rates

I have Googled around and cannot seem to find a clear answer on what the new LTCG/Dividends rates will be. Can someone please post them, or point me to them? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No change.
No changes to the long-term capital gains tax rates and thresholds from the current system except that they created an independent threshold for the 20% bracket and it is perhaps no longer tied to the tax tables. The 15% bracket tracks the tax table for now as the $77,400 is the top of the 12% bracket for MFJ and half that for single. But the 37% bracket starts at $600K for MFJ, whereas the 20% capital gains tax bracket is set to $479,000 which matches the old system.

Quote:
The conference agreement follows the House bill and generally retains present-law maximum rates on net capital gains and qualified dividends.
And the House bill said:

Quote:
Maximum rates on capital gains and qualified dividends
The provision generally retains the present-law maximum rates on net capital gain and qualified dividends. The breakpoints between the zero- and 15-percent rates (“15-percent breakpoint”) and the 15- and 20-percent rates (“20-percent breakpoint”) are based on the same amounts as the breakpoints under present law, except the breakpoints are indexed using the C- CPI-U in taxable years beginning after 2017. Thus, for 2018, the 15-percent breakpoint is $77,200 for joint returns and surviving spouses (one-half of this amount for married taxpayers filing separately), $51,700 for heads of household, $2,600 for estates and trusts, and $38,600 for other unmarried individuals. The 20-percent breakpoint is $479,000 for joint returns and surviving spouses (one-half of this amount for married taxpayers filing separately), $452,400 for heads of household, $12,700 for estates and trusts, and $425,800 for other unmarried individuals.

Therefore, in the case of an individual (including an estate or trust) with adjusted net capital gain, to the extent the gain would not result in taxable income exceeding the 15-percent breakpoint, such gain is not taxed. Any adjusted net capital gain which would result in taxable income exceeding the 15-percent breakpoint but not exceeding the 20-percent breakpoint is taxed at 15 percent. The remaining adjusted net capital gain is taxed at 20 percent.

As under present law, unrecaptured section 1250 gain generally is taxed at a maximum rate of 25 percent, and 28-percent rate gain is taxed at a maximum rate of 28 percent.

Effective date.−The provision applies to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The same thing happend a couple of times for the GW Bush tax cuts during the Obama admin. Recall the end of 2012 issue with the expiration of the bush tax cuts and some companies paying dividends early.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I realize the results of this simplified calculator will vary significantly. But in my own case, it came very close to nailing my actual 2016 tax bill. So I'm going to take its estimate of about a $500 saving as pretty accurate.
And I'll give another view on that: The simplified calculator came up with 4 times my actual 2016 tax bill to start with, so there was no way to trust what it said my 2018 tax bill might be.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

^ I just used that calculator to confirm that it agrees with my understanding of how the new CTC works.
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #178
gone traveling

That Lott calculator doesn't care to ask if you are over age 65.
I hope it's wrong.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Just completed two calculations... projected 2018 taxes under current law and rates and brackets and under new law. In both cases, including a simulated Roth conversion to the top of the 15%/12% tax bracket.

The $10k limit on SALT will reduce our itemized deductions to a point where we will take the standard deduction under the new law. Overall impact is a reduction in deductions and exemptions of $3,362.

The above has a second order effect of reducing the Roth conversion by $3,362.

In both cases our tax would be $0 before Roth conversion since our other ordinary income is less than deductions and exemptions.... so any tax is a result of adding in the Roth conversions.

The effective tax rate on my Roth conversions is 9.6% under the old law and 9.9% under the new law so a small tax increase for us.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it appears that alimony will be treated differently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tax alimony.JPG (27.0 KB, 47 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply