Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. A landlord experiences those same costs plus has an expected rate of return. In turn passes along to you in the form of rent. Perhaps more of a known or expected costs vs your own home. You also miss out on increase in the appreciation value of the home.

I'm sure cases to be made on why renting vs ownership but I don't see it from a overall lower cost perspective.
@bobandsherry, did you read the word "apartment" in the post?

The OP is looking for a low cost living situation. Renting an apartment is the lowest cost living situation.

@street Respectfully, it doesn't matter what you pay for housing/living expenses. The OP is solving for his/her own situation, and very well may need to live in a HCOL area. Maybe not. You appear to live in western state, potentially in a rural area. Your house has been paid off for 36 years. You are in a different situation than the OP and your comment did not address the OP's post.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's foolish to unequivocally state that renting is more affordable than buying. It varies a lot from city to city and is very situational. I like the NYT rent or own tool.. it is very comprehensive.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
We don't qualify for a rent controlled apartment at this time. I think the govt will provide for his medical needs and care. I don't want him ending up in a group home as I have heard horror stories about them.

I'd like for him to live with family with paid in-home care / assistance, but that depends on whether my daughter or any of my nephews / neice will want that responsibility.

At the least, I hope his sister or cousins check in on him frequently if he does end up in a group home (which I pray does not happen).

I'm sure if one looks hard enough or reads the internet enough, one can hear horror stories of everything. Renting/Cab/bus/biking/group homes.

I worked in group homes for years, and then an apartment program, where I set up small group homes/apts consisting of 2-4 people.

It's very common for parents to be wary, nervous of a group home. Many times they make the mistake of delaying moving the adult "child" into a group home until it's an emergency due to their own old age.
I used the term "child" earlier as for many parents, that is how they viewed their 22->44 yr old son/daughter.

The most successful clients were the ones that came to us in their early 20's as they had less years of bad habits learned from the parental home, or even worse a mass institution.

None of the dozens of parents I met over that time, ever pulled their relative out of the group home, and most were pretty impressed to find out their son/daughter could do their own laundry, tidy their room, and participate in cooking.

I suggest looking at, and visiting group homes to see what is offered, as it's quite possible the nephews / niece will not want that life long Obligation as they probably want to have a life themselves. You may be surprised to find some very nice group homes, and possibly find ones that have short-term stays of a couple of weeks. A good practice for the potential client, and a nice relief break for the rest of the family.

Understand that a good group home, won't accept just anybody, they should have a specialty and stick with it. This means our group home rejected potential clients, as we discovered the parents covered up serious secondary issues.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. A landlord experiences those same costs plus has an expected rate of return. In turn passes along to you in the form of rent. Perhaps more of a known or expected costs vs your own home. You also miss out on increase in the appreciation value of the home.

I'm sure cases to be made on why renting vs ownership but I don't see it from a overall lower cost perspective.
Seems only cheaper if you live in a lesser size home.
If renting = small home or apartment complex
vs owning means larger house, then yes you can save renting.
But in my HCOL area, few housed are for rent and those that come up are expensive.
beyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Having a special needs family member is difficult in every situation--especially on siblings that may end up responsible in the long run.

My cousin had Downs Syndrome, and he was institutionalized his entire life. Our state once had excellent care in group homes, but got out of the mental health field 30-40 years ago. Then Blake went to a nursing home for a few years.

The state ended up finally placing him with Volunteers of America where he and two other gentlemen lived in a rented triplex. He'd go to a day care center during the day and come home @ 4:00 p.m. where a gentleman took care of him until being relieved @ midnight. Another gentleman took care of the guys until they left the next a.m. I cannot tell you how wonderful Volunteers of America was until the end.

My cousin was very happy, and he received specialized care my elderly aunt (who died 3 mos. short of 100) couldn't provide. After all, Blake had his own life to live. He was happy to see his relatives, but 20 minutes later he was glad everyone left.

Too bad you're not mobile. I understand Atlanta has an incredible autism clinic and it's a very low cost of living city--for such a major city.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:16 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Having a special needs family member is difficult in every situation--especially on siblings that may end up responsible in the long run.

My cousin had Downs Syndrome, and he was institutionalized his entire life. Our state once had excellent care in group homes, but got out of the mental health field 30-40 years ago. Then Blake went to a nursing home for a few years.

The state ended up finally placing him with Volunteers of America where he and two other gentlemen lived in a rented triplex. He'd go to a day care center during the day and come home @ 4:00 p.m. where a gentleman took care of him until being relieved @ midnight. Another gentleman took care of the guys until they left the next a.m. I cannot tell you how wonderful Volunteers of America was until the end.

My cousin was very happy, and he received specialized care my elderly aunt (who died 3 mos. short of 100) couldn't provide. After all, Blake had his own life to live. He was happy to see his relatives, but 20 minutes later he was glad everyone left.

Too bad you're not mobile. I understand Atlanta has an incredible autism clinic and it's a very low cost of living city--for such a major city.
I actually think that institutions like Walbrook (Rainman) are far safer than individual group homes where abuse - I'm told - runs rampant with fewer eyes watching over disabled individuals. My hope is to outlive him, but I doubt that'd happen since my health is poor and he's still so young.

If our daughter chooses to be a teacher, I'm assuming she'd have more options on where to settle down, than if she decides to work in IT (despite likely making several times more money in IT than she could as a teacher). We probably shouldn't tie ourselves to her -- it's so unfair to her to have to take on this burden -- but I don't see any way out, esp as we get older and need help with him. Thank you for the heads-up on Atlanta. Someone else also mentioned MN. I am taking good notes on all these suggestions and hope I get more as we decide where to ultimately settle down.
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:29 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm sure if one looks hard enough or reads the internet enough, one can hear horror stories of everything. Renting/Cab/bus/biking/group homes.

I worked in group homes for years, and then an apartment program, where I set up small group homes/apts consisting of 2-4 people.

It's very common for parents to be wary, nervous of a group home. Many times they make the mistake of delaying moving the adult "child" into a group home until it's an emergency due to their own old age.
I used the term "child" earlier as for many parents, that is how they viewed their 22->44 yr old son/daughter.

The most successful clients were the ones that came to us in their early 20's as they had less years of bad habits learned from the parental home, or even worse a mass institution.

None of the dozens of parents I met over that time, ever pulled their relative out of the group home, and most were pretty impressed to find out their son/daughter could do their own laundry, tidy their room, and participate in cooking.

I suggest looking at, and visiting group homes to see what is offered, as it's quite possible the nephews / niece will not want that life long Obligation as they probably want to have a life themselves. You may be surprised to find some very nice group homes, and possibly find ones that have short-term stays of a couple of weeks. A good practice for the potential client, and a nice relief break for the rest of the family.

Understand that a good group home, won't accept just anybody, they should have a specialty and stick with it. This means our group home rejected potential clients, as we discovered the parents covered up serious secondary issues.
I'm sorry, and absolutely no offense intended to anyone who runs a group home or is in charge of one, but I would prefer my son to live with his family over the long haul. Yes, you're absolutely right, my daughter, niece and nephews may simply not want that responsibility or "burden", but I believe he will flourish best among family and I want that to happen for him.

I'm working on his self-help and home care skills. I have the same "rules" wrt discipline I have for his sister, and I want him to be able to do simple things for himself, given his limitations and challenges. He's not allowed to sit around on his iPad all day long, and he spends considerable time outdoors. I'm with you on that.

However, if, after my time, he ends up in a group home that works for him and where he fits in well, that should be ok, too. I just want the best for him as any parent wants the best for their own children - neurotypical or special needs.
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It's foolish to unequivocally state that renting is more affordable than buying. It varies a lot from city to city and is very situational. I like the NYT rent or own tool.. it is very comprehensive.
+1
Old 03-22-2021, 06:29 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
@bobandsherry, did you read the word "apartment" in the post?

The OP is looking for a low cost living situation. Renting an apartment is the lowest cost living situation.
Yes, I read that - and not sure how that is relevant to what I said. Here's what I said.

Quote:
Additionally, there wasn't enough info in the OP's post to really provide a specific direction. As the OP has later stated, "We expect to be retired in 15 years", so time is on their side to consider a buy, lock in the current prices and rates and not have 15 years of inflation to try and factor in on what rental prices may be.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I live in a fully paid condo. Between HOA fees, property taxes and insurance, it costs me about $300 a month. The identical unit above mine rents for $1,000 a month.

ETA: I rented for a while during the early part of my retirement and it had its perks.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Renting an apartment is the lowest cost living situation.

A modest single family dwelling with no mortgage still requires maintenance and property taxes paid. Home ownership is a far over promoted idea. There are too many people who benefit other than the homeowner, therefore the over-promotion.

Apples for apples comparing all alternatives in the same city/metro, renting an apartment is the lowest cost living situation.
I agree with this in many parts of the country. It depends on your RE tax, RE appreciation rate, insurance and maintenance costs. You will need a new roof, HVAC, windows, etc at some point, and I don't think everyone accurately discounts the effect of this.

If you are in an area with high RE tax and modest appreciation, for example, renting might make sense.

Another option someone suggested is a lock and leave condo, if that is more affordable, since it reduces the maintenance costs compared to a SF home.

As others have said, being a short drive from a good university town may provide options for good healthcare at a relatively low cost.
EarlyFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear with bad choice of words in a rapid response... my point, other expenses make up a large portion of cost of living. So look at options to reduce those costs. You disagree?

BTW, what % of your total expenses does your housing make up? 5 years retired myself. In my prep for FIRE I had already lowered my housing costs by moving to a more cost friendly area. New home, slightly larger (2,600 sq ft) than I had before, but lower cost of house and way lower taxes and less costly to maintain. New home also saves me $$$ on utility costs as it's very energy efficient. Also reduced number of cars lowering my depreciation and insurance costs. Now travel is my big nut and by choice.
I agree there are other expenses that can be reduced, but most retirement studies done on expenses have reported housing costs the be the largest expense and reduction to have the most impact on retirement success. Just one example:

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2019...n-retirem.aspx

I think he/she may be on the right track to making retirement more feasible.

VW
Old 03-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I agree there are other expenses that can be reduced, but most retirement studies done on expenses have reported housing costs the be the largest expense and reduction to have the most impact on retirement success. Just one example:

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2019...n-retirem.aspx

I think he/she may be on the right track to making retirement more feasible.

VW
OP has come back and said they plan to retire within the next 15 years. So, buying now locks in today's house price and rates, providing they know what area they want to live. Just think of the appreciation a property could accumulate in that 15 year window. Do you know what inflation will be over the next 15 years and impact on rental rates? So are you really that sure the OP is on the right track?

As I originally said, I'm sure there are cases where renting may make more sense. I disagreed, and still do, with a blanket statement that renting is the lowest cost option.

I guess we agree to disagree. It's all good.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Renting an apartment is the lowest cost living situation.

A modest single family dwelling with no mortgage still requires maintenance and property taxes paid. Home ownership is a far over promoted idea. There are too many people who benefit other than the homeowner, therefore the over-promotion.

Apples for apples comparing all alternatives in the same city/metro, renting an apartment is the lowest cost living situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
+2

The NYT rent/buy tool is by-far the best tool I've seen for analyzing and truly understanding this decision. ...at least from a financial standpoint, which is what the OP was asking about. Yes, there are non-financial considerations that are just as important to many people and situations.

BTW, with it's default settings, the NYT tool says that for a $250K house, you would have to rent a similar home for $884/mo or less, to be better off than buying. When's the last time you saw a $250K house renting for less than $884?

Yes... you can, and should, change the default settings based on your own area, expectations, and experience. But the average rent in my area for a $250K house is $2300-2700/mo. To get the breakeven rent that high, you have to make some very unrealistic assumptions about maintenance costs, etc. That's based on my 37 years of homeownership experience. YMMV.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #35
gone traveling

Let's not forget the needs and ability of a person to perform maintenance, or pay to have it done, compared with needs of employment and/or caring for family members.

Not needing to be concerned with maintenance is a benefit that would accrue to someone in the situation so described. It sounds a bit similar to the OP's situation. Renting a small apartment, no larger than is needed, is the lowest cost option and gives the renter the ability to spend time, money and effort where h/she needs to.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Let's not forget the needs and ability of a person to perform maintenance, or pay to have it done, compared with needs of employment and/or caring for family members.

Not needing to be concerned with maintenance is a benefit that would accrue to someone in the situation so described. It sounds a bit similar to the OP's situation. Renting a small apartment, no larger than is needed, is the lowest cost option and gives the renter the ability to spend time, money and effort where h/she needs to.
You seem to forget there's condo's and townhomes, both typically include maintenance exterior maintenance and/or repairs. There are also some communities with single family homes that also include all exterior maintenance.

So would you consider that a small condo, equivalent in size to a small apartment could also be a good option? Remember, a landlord collects an amount to cover their expense PLUS their expected return. Great for short term but I just can't see how it makes sense long term, especially the 15 year window that OP has mentioned.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I live in a fully paid condo. Between HOA fees, property taxes and insurance, it costs me about $300 a month. The identical unit above mine rents for $1,000 a month.

ETA: I rented for a while during the early part of my retirement and it had its perks.
Yet another example of how much it varies by location. In my city, HOAs are hovering around $700 for smallish condos.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

$1 mill town house rents near San Francisco for approx $3500. $1 mill worth of rental units in Columbus OH rent for approx $10,000. Rent or buy is very location dependent. Plus your opportunity cost if you are a good or bad investor etc
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
Hello,

Due to having a child with autism who may likely live with us for the rest of our lives, and due to us wanting to live close to our other child as we age (not an easy choice or decision), we may always have housing costs. Unfortunately, my preliminary research indicates that the best services for the disabled tends to be in areas which are also HCOL or VHCOL, where we may never be able to afford a decent home.

Do you have any advice for people with a modest nest egg, who may have housing costs in retirement as well? We expect health insurance and the state to pick up most of our son's medical and therapeutic needs & costs, and we are in the process of setting up a special needs trust for him, but the idea of having to pay rent in retirement really worries / concerns me, especially as that means leaving less money for our son after we're gone?

How can we minimize housing costs in our situation? Is that even possible?

Please, please, hear the advice of the persons who are discussing timing, quality, quality of life, and finances of group homes. Please do your own research;including visits and, a post Covid short-term try out. I sense your fear. You may be pleasantly surprised. There are some wonderful DD programs in moderate COL states. Research this too. Best of luck!
almosttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
My house has been paid off for 12 years, renting an equivalent place would cost me over 3X what I currently pay in property taxes, insurance and yearly maintenance.
It's market specific thing, in some places owning is a better deal, in other renting. For example, we pay $3k/mo to rent a place currently valued at $1M.

The opportunity cost of having money in a home vs stocks might be material. Plus, in markets with high appreciation, it's easy to exceed the primary residence capital gains exemption upon sale. That would incur a hefty one time tax bill that you might not otherwise see liquidating portions of a stock portfolio over a longer period. Also remember to adjust for real estate risk, liquidity concerns and agent commissions. All that in addition to taxes, insurance, and maintenance, can sometimes make renting attractive.
idledancer is offline   Reply With Quote