Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Selling that car for $9000 would be giving it away. Around here those cars sell for $12000 to $15000. You have a great car and I would keep it. This is coming from someone who has been working a cars and trucks for over 50 years. The timing belt would be a piece of cake and not cost me that much to install. The parts would cost me around $190 including a new water pump. This car does have an Interference Engine meaning if your belt breaks you are in for some big time money. I would change the water pump like I mentioned while you have it down. You have many more years and miles of driving this car with very few worries. Like I said I would keep it and get that belt and pump changed. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #42

In November we bought a new Honda Accord. It has a bit over 2k miles on it. I'm liking hearing all these high-mileage stories.

Re the battery. WV has an annual safety inspection. When it's in for that I also ask the shop to run a load test on the battery. If the battery is the least bit questionable I replace it.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
In November we bought a new Honda Accord. It has a bit over 2k miles on it. I'm liking hearing all these high-mileage stories.

Re the battery. WV has an annual safety inspection. When it's in for that I also ask the shop to run a load test on the battery. If the battery is the least bit questionable I replace it.
As a measure of insurance, I keep one of those jump box things charged up and ready to go in my trunk. Even if I have a brand new battery, gotta account for human error like leaving a light on
Old 01-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
As a measure of insurance, I keep one of those jump box things charged up and ready to go in my trunk. Even if I have a brand new battery, gotta account for human error like leaving a light on
Of course since 2000 cars and pickups tend to come with at least chimes to warn if the lights are on and the engine is off. (even back then it had auto headlights). Now by 2011 cruze also will keep the light on for up to two mins so you can get to a light switch (plus if you push the key fob the lights come on for two mins). I was sort of amazed how much change had happened in the 11 years between vehicles.
With the coming backup cameras and lane change warnings, one does need to consider the value they might add, let alone how now you can take a usb drive and plug it into the infotaniment system and get music you desire.
So the other issue to consider are the new features worth it. (I suggest renting a vehicle like you are considering for a weekend to see)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Of course since 2000 cars and pickups tend to come with at least chimes to warn if the lights are on and the engine is off. (even back then it had auto headlights). Now by 2011 cruze also will keep the light on for up to two mins so you can get to a light switch (plus if you push the key fob the lights come on for two mins). I was sort of amazed how much change had happened in the 11 years between vehicles.
With the coming backup cameras and lane change warnings, one does need to consider the value they might add, let alone how now you can take a usb drive and plug it into the infotaniment system and get music you desire.
So the other issue to consider are the new features worth it. (I suggest renting a vehicle like you are considering for a weekend to see)
To my surprise, my 2012 Honda Fit has no warning chime if I accidentally leave my lights on. The manual even states there is now warning. But the car is a bit odd (or maybe me just showing my age) as there is no back hatch release from the inside or keyhole on the passenger side. Also, there is only a visual light but no audio chime when the car is running low on gas.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #46

My '03 GMC pickup has chimes for the outside lights but I found it's not quite idiot-proof. The panel has buttons for the interior lights, which eventually turn off automatically, and the bed light, which does not, right next to each other. So of course I managed to leave the bed light on and was able to get around the engineer's best efforts and run the battery down with that.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #47

Quote:
To my surprise, my 2012 Honda Fit has no warning chime if I accidentally leave my lights on.
This is the kind of thing that would be so easy to not realize when buying a car. I can not imagine why they wouldn't include that very important feature.

We looked at the 2014 Prius and I was surprised to see there were no locks on the glove box.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #48

Kept my 1992 Honda Accord for 14 years and 145,000 miles. Most deterioration was done by this thing called a "teenager". When I finally ditched the car, it had a cracked (but not broken) front window, rust in many spots, needed 4 tires, 4 brakes, but still ran great. Repairs far exceeded blue book. My current car is a 2003 Subaru Legacy (we get lots of snow) with 143,000. I am keeping it for the foreseeable future. I still love looking at new cars, though.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
This is the kind of thing that would be so easy to not realize when buying a car. I can not imagine why they wouldn't include that very important feature.

We looked at the 2014 Prius and I was surprised to see there were no locks on the glove box.
I really do like my car, but one other thing "missing" which I had expected is a variable intermittent wiper speed. Instead, there is just a variable, but at a constant speed so I find myself having the flick the wiper on and off manually when just a fine mist forms on the windshield.

I did know this before I got the car, but had many of those features on my old, 1996 car.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Quote:
I really do like my car, but one other thing "missing" which I had expected is a variable intermittent wiper speed. Instead, there is just a variable, but at a constant speed so I find myself having the flick the wiper on and off manually when just a fine mist forms on the windshield.

I did know this before I got the car, but had many of those features on my old, 1996 car.
This drives me nuts on choosing a new car. There are so many little features, and so many ways to do them. And it's not like you can count on a higher model having all the features of a lower model.

My inexpensive little 2000 S40 Volvo has many nice features, but is also lacking an adjustable intermittent wiper! I mean, isn't that like 1970's tech? But it has headlight wipers, which is pretty rare, and a real thermostatically controlled heater/AC, which I would have to move up a model to get in a 2011Honda CR-V (and pay another $3500 for stuff I don't want). Auto on/off for the headlights, while the CR-V has a chime.

I had a cheap rental when my car was in the shop, hated that car, a real low end piece of junk, but it had a nice feature - the radio would stay on until you opened the door to get out! Such a little thing, but nice when you want to catch the end of a song or news, instead of turning the engine off, and switching back to ACC, and then back again when you leave, you just shut it off. When you leave the radio turns off.

Man, I wish they could take the best of all these features and make a list and you could just check which ones a car has or doesn't. Better yet, this should be open source so we could change it ourselves (most of this is computer controlled).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My inexpensive little 2000 S40 Volvo has many nice features, but is also lacking an adjustable intermittent wiper! I mean, isn't that like 1970's tech?
-ERD50

A lot of Euro cars -- Volvo included, I believe -- use programmable windshield wiper relays that you can set by turning the wipers on, then off, then on again. The interval between the time you turn the wipers off and turn them on the second time will be the interval between "wipes."

If your car doesn't have such a relay, they're easy to get and install. Here's a used one on eBay: Volvo V70 XC70 S70 70 Intermittent Wiper Relay 98 99 00 L 203 9472575 1999 2000 | eBay
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Better yet, this should be open source so we could change it ourselves (most of this is computer controlled).

-ERD50
From what I have read, hacking into a car computer can be done, though it is not for the technically challenged and faint of heart.

How Easily Can a Moving Car Be Hacked? | Motherboard

I wonder if Tesla owners have some type of system where they can customize how their various controls work? After all, they can update software at home via the internet.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I have only sold and replaced one car due to operational problems that made the car essentially dysfunctional. It is a rare automobile where the ongoing repairs exceed or even equal the costs of driving a brand new car. Generally, I replace a car every 10 years or so because of some combination of no longer meeting my needs and newer safety features.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
At about 100,000 miles, within the next year, I will need a timing belt, water pump, drive belt service that will cost about 825.00.
When our 2000 Civic came up on 100k four years ago, we spent the money and had the work done. That was 42k ago. No regrets so far. YMMV.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
When our 2000 Civic came up on 100k four years ago, we spent the money and had the work done. That was 42k ago. No regrets so far. YMMV.
This is the problem I eventually will face except I am at 200k with essentially nothing done to it at this point. Almost anything major that goes wrong will be close to the value of the vehicle. I made a mistake 15 years ago with an Iroc Z28. It kept breaking down, and I kept thinking there is nothing else to fix on it. I was repeatedly proven wrong again and again!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This drives me nuts on choosing a new car. There are so many little features, and so many ways to do them. And it's not like you can count on a higher model having all the features of a lower model.

My inexpensive little 2000 S40 Volvo has many nice features, but is also lacking an adjustable intermittent wiper! I mean, isn't that like 1970's tech? But it has headlight wipers, which is pretty rare, and a real thermostatically controlled heater/AC, which I would have to move up a model to get in a 2011Honda CR-V (and pay another $3500 for stuff I don't want). Auto on/off for the headlights, while the CR-V has a chime.

I had a cheap rental when my car was in the shop, hated that car, a real low end piece of junk, but it had a nice feature - the radio would stay on until you opened the door to get out! Such a little thing, but nice when you want to catch the end of a song or news, instead of turning the engine off, and switching back to ACC, and then back again when you leave, you just shut it off. When you leave the radio turns off.

Man, I wish they could take the best of all these features and make a list and you could just check which ones a car has or doesn't. Better yet, this should be open source so we could change it ourselves (most of this is computer controlled).

-ERD50
I suppose, when picking a car's features, seldom do you get everything layed out the exactly the way you want it. Thus, you have to choose what's most important to you.

For example, on my Honda Fit, I like that the cruise control is on the steering wheel instead of as a stalk. It seems to me many of the newer cars feature other controls instead of cruise on the steering.

I got my car mostly because I really liked all the cargo configurations and it's the only small car I know of that has the back seats that flip up for more carrying room. For some that might seem like a gimmick, but I find that so handy and am surprised other car companies haven't copied.

But you know the saying.. one man's junk, another man's treasure.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got my 1996 Honda Accord pass DEQ - It does have very low miles around 150k, yes, it is low :-)
I plan to keep it another 2 or more years. Maintenance cost and insurance are very little, and the car serves my purpose.
Although, I do look cheap driving it, but that is okay.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This is the problem I eventually will face except I am at 200k with essentially nothing done to it at this point. Almost anything major that goes wrong will be close to the value of the vehicle. I made a mistake 15 years ago with an Iroc Z28. It kept breaking down, and I kept thinking there is nothing else to fix on it. I was repeatedly proven wrong again and again!
Actually in our case with the 2000 Civic, it was running OK when we had the 100K maintenance work (timing belt, etc.) done and it has run fine ever since. Just oil changes and wiper blades.

200k and a troublesome car is another issue. I just faced that kind of issue with a 1996 Sable about a year ago. It had almost 150k and a long list of irritating minor, but pricey to fix, problems. I sold it to CarMax for $500. It was sad to say goodbye since the car had been in the family for 17 years and had been very reliable until near the end. But it was definitely time to go.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
At age 60, if I drive 'till I'm 80, changing cars every 8 years means 3 more new cars. If I can get 12 years use that's still one less new car I'll have to buy. If I can get 15 years and 200k miles, that means only one more car to buy. That's real savings.
But that savings won't accrue to you. You'll just die with more money for your heirs.

A few years ago we bought a BMW Z4 convertible for that very reason. I thought and thought about it, then one day realized that somebody was going to buy a sporty convertible with my money, and it'd be better for that somebody to be me instead of my kids.

But now I'm debating if we should buy a new car or spend $1000 for new tires on our current one.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
But that savings won't accrue to you. You'll just die with more money for your heirs.
So the will reads: "Being of sound mind and body I spent all my money while I was alive."