Join Early Retirement Today

Replacement for Quicken 2000 software (yeah, I know....old school!)
Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Replacement for Quicken 2000 software (yeah, I know....old school!)

I've been using Quicken 2000 Deluxe since it's inception to keep track of my accounts/expenses/investments and have been very happy thus far with my initial investment (although manual data entry got "old" about 5 years ago). I feel it is time for an upgrade...(plus the fact I have almost 12 years of data on a .QDF file).

Each year that a new Quicken version came out (after 2000) I wanted to upgrade...however, I always backed out due to horrible reviews (huge resource hog, horrible UI, not worth it, etc...).

Are there any Quicken users out there who have a particular year's version they're VERY happy with? Reasons why?

How about "former" Quicken users who are now using a different type of software for finance/investment tracking purposes?

Of course, my biggest fear is not being able to transfer the data from my dinosaur Quicken version to something new...

I'm all ears....I NEED TO CATCH UP!

Thanks!
jimbohoward69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out Moneydance. I haven't switched, but I may someday.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are looking to track information, and don't need the software to allow you to write checks, make transfers, etc, I have found Mint.com to be really really nice.
I have yet to check out moneydance, so I have to look into that. But I have been both a MS Money and Quicken user in the past. Mint.com has them both beat easily.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I'd recommend you keep using Q2000, as long as it works for you. You can try using these new fangle things like mint and money dance, but you're going to lose a lot of that history you've accumulated or take forever to reenter info. I still miss my old quicken, I started with. I converted to MS Money way back when and I lost alot of capability as far as calculating performance, etc. Now MS Money has been discontinued and I'm stuck using an obsolete version <2006> on an old laptop and can't even transfer to my new laptop without a whole out of grief. Good Grief!
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I just upgraded from Quicken 2007 today - the main reason that I did was because I was losing support for downloading transactions from my bank. Gotta love built in obsolecence - Intuit's product life cycle is around 3 years. Anyway, my upgrade was painless, and I don't see a lot of changes.

Personally, I don't think that I could move to another product other than Quicken - I've had it for so many years (and versions!) that it's not worth the hassle to change to something else.
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
I just upgraded from Quicken 2007 today - the main reason that I did was because I was losing support for downloading transactions from my bank. Gotta love built in obsolecence - Intuit's product life cycle is around 3 years. Anyway, my upgrade was painless, and I don't see a lot of changes.

Personally, I don't think that I could move to another product other than Quicken - I've had it for so many years (and versions!) that it's not worth the hassle to change to something else.
I use Quicken too. For the benefit of the OP I will mention that I didn't notice any huge difference between the version I had before and 2007, which is what have now.

For all Quicken users, I suggest you check your bank's website. It may be that you can download a .qdf file of your transactions without using Intuit's online banking. I am able to do that from my B of A checking and savings accounts, as well as pay bills online, and there is no charge (although I may be getting them for free be because my paycheck is on automatic deposit). You may have to do a bit of extra typing (though with the automatic fill-in feature turned on it is not too onerous) but you avoid the bi-annual shakedown for a $50 upgrade, and also the $6 (or however much it is now) that Intuit dings you monthly for using their online banking & bill-paying service. I only use Quicken for my checking and savings accounts, not to monitor investments, so YMMV. It may be that it's only possible to download the info on your brokerage account from Intuit's service.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #7

I've always used and liked Quicken. I'm now using Quicken 2007 and am very happy with it. I enter my own transactions and don't really do anything advanced with it.

I'm also trying a web app called BudgetPulse, because I'll soon be travelling long-term and will need to manage my finances from anywhere. The access-anywhere feature is great, but Quicken is far, far superior in every other way.

I haven't tried Mint or others because I don't like giving out my acct info, and my own transaction entries give me something to check my acct records against.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #8

We just upgraded to the current version of Quicken from Quicken 1999. The only reason we did that was I wasn't sure the old version would run well with the new computer, and it was easy to import transactions going back to 1991.

Now, why importing stuff from 1991 is important I can't answer....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have used quicken 2006 and have been happy with it. I don't trust any software program to do downloads so we manually enter all tranactions. The DW does the banking online and then uses that to double check her quicken entries. I manually enter weekly nav's for my funds and find the analysis tools adequate.
Larry
Old 02-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I've always used and liked Quicken. I'm now using Quicken 2007 and am very happy with it. I enter my own transactions and don't really do anything advanced with it.

I'm also trying a web app called BudgetPulse, because I'll soon be travelling long-term and will need to manage my finances from anywhere. The access-anywhere feature is great, but Quicken is far, far superior in every other way.

I haven't tried Mint or others because I don't like giving out my acct info, and my own transaction entries give me something to check my acct records against.
You may want to check out Mint.com again. I can understand not wanting to give your account information out. However, Mint.com is owned by Intuit. And since they run Quicken, you already HAVE given them your bank account information.
What did it for me, was that Mint.com is read only. Even if someone got into my Mint.com page, they can't do any transactions. Can't write checks or transfer money in any way.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #11

I like Mint.com. I don't write that many checks, so no big deal not having an electronic register. I used to use Quicken 2008 (or 07, forgot).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been using Moneydance (Moneydance® 2010 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux) for several years after using both Quicken and MS Money; I do not recall any significant issues/historical data loss/etc. when switching to Moneydance. And, I do find the Moneydance interface somewhat simpler and easier to use than either Quicken or MS Money; but, it [Moneydance] does not have nearly as much in the way of charting, analysis, etc. On the other hand, Moneydance does save everything in an XML file; so, you could theoretically do any reporting you wanted to from that raw data. (This is somewhere on my ToDo list.)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #13

I'm using Quicken 2008 and have no problems. I've never understood all the Quicken bashing, been using it for years with very few if any problems.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Quicken Update
Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Quicken Update

Walt
How did you upgrade from Quicken 1999 to the current version. Need to do the same. Old Mac version been using for years. Any advice?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We just upgraded to the current version of Quicken from Quicken 1999. The only reason we did that was I wasn't sure the old version would run well with the new computer, and it was easy to import transactions going back to 1991.

Now, why importing stuff from 1991 is important I can't answer....
sirswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #15

I have been throwing money away by upgrading to the new version each year since the early 90's. Each year's upgrade has been very easy. Not sure that the very early .qdf formats can be converted to the newest format.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirswatch View Post
Walt
How did you upgrade from Quicken 1999 to the current version. Need to do the same. Old Mac version been using for years. Any advice?
Thanks!
Mac or PC? They're different, and not in a good way.

Assuming Mac, Quicken 2007 is the latest version with the functionality you have in Quicken 1999. The upgrade is trivial, as Quicken 2007 will read in and use your existing Quicken data files. Gotchas: Quicken 2007 is a PowerPC program, which means that it will run on PowerPC Macs, as well as newer Intel-based Macs running Mac OS X 10.6.8 or older software (via a PowerPC emulator Apple included).

As of Mac OS X 10.7, Apple no longer ships the old PowerPC emulator that Intel-based Macs (2005 and later machines) to run PowerPC programs. Why Intuit would ship a program in 2007 that only ran on hardware from 2 years before or earlier without (slow) emulation software is a fascinating tale of corporate mismanagement...

Quicken is selling Quicken Essentials for Mac, which will run on all Intel-based Macs. There are a few gotchas involving importing old data, as well as with functionality that's missing from Quicken Essentials compared to your Quicken 1999 or 2007.

The software will not read in your older Quicken Data files. A separate conversion program, which only runs on PowerPC Macs (or Intel Macs with 10.6.8 or older system software) must be run to convert your data to a proprietary interchange format Quicken Essentials can read. If you are planning to use Quicken Essentials as part of an upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7, you MUST convert your old data and get it into Quicken Essentials before upgrading to 10.7.

The good news is that the conversion and import works well, if slowly. I was able to convert 14 years of data in a dozen different accounts, a 15 MB data file. The conversion to the interchange format took about a half hour, and the import into Quicken Essentials took another half hour, with some interaction needed during the import process for some of the accounts. On completing the import, all the balances and transfers between accounts were correct (a problem I've had with other software).

The bad news is that the software support for various investment accounts, to put it charitably, is lacking. The software can be used to log into online investment accounts, and from there capture the names and ticker symbols of each investment, and shares held. Then, the software can tell you the net worth in each account after grabbing current quotes from their online quote service (Yahoo, I think). You can type in your basis by hand and it will tell you how far up or down you are.

That's it. No tracking of buys or sells, no commission record, no computed basis of all lots (what's a lot? ), and so no support for helping you with your tax returns. That's what you're supposed to save all that paper from the brokerage for...

The best alternative I've found so far is iBank, but that had serious problems importing my admittedly complex backlog in their 3.x version. I'm going to try again with iBank 4 to see how that goes. If nothing else, I can just enter the buy orders and cash balance by hand to set up my current investment history, and start fresh for my other accounts as of January 1 2012.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When I used Quicken in the past, my main uses were for budgeting and checkbook balancing. Didn't use the automatic downloading of data from banks, etc and I really didn't visit old history information from years back. Since then, for budgeting, been using a program that does budgeting (called Budget Advisor -- using a 2008 version) and for checkbook balancing, been using a checkbook balancer spreadsheet. These two meet my needs just fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I abandoned Quicken long ago because it was so quirky.

I switched to MS Money in 2003 which contrary to what was said earlier in the thread is still available and FREE as the so-called Sunset edition.

I use MS Money all the time to do performance reports and many other reports.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Quicken for several years & was using Quicken 2007 for Mac. As M Paquette described above, this version for Mac is doomed because of the rollout of the Lion operating system. So I have been using iBank4 for a couple of months and really like it. I had no problem converting my Quicken files. It takes awhile learning the different interface but it is a very stable program & has excellent product support.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #20

I've been using the Windows version of Quicken for several years, because there simply isn't anything else with its range of investment and reporting tools.

I had been running it via VMWare Fusion on my Mac, but recently switched to Parallels Desktop 7 for the virtual machine, and the difference is like night and day. Parallels rocks!