Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Req help imputing data
Old 04-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Req help imputing data

I am not sure if I am imputing my dta correctly. I would like to list my data here and see if I get different suggestions on how to place it in the calculator.

age 39
age at retirement 56
yrs in retirement 35
est balance of retirement fund at age 56=$850,000
pension todays dollars $63,500
pension age 56 dollars $128,000
SS suplement age 56(todays dollars) $10,200
replace SS suplement at age 62 with SS(todays dollars) $16,800
spouse SS at retirement yr #6 $12,000

Will have one kid in second year of college at retirement and house paid off.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re:  How'd you get your SS data?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Re:  How'd you get your SS data?

If your SS numbers come from the annual statement, it assumes that you're working up to age 62 at your current income level. Neither of those assumptions may be correct.

And if you have military wages between the 1960s-2000, your SS contributions were "offset" by an additional $1200 year credit. That's not reflected in the SS statement, either, and it makes your actual SS check a little higher.

The SS website has an online calculator that lets you enter all of your income and you can boost that by the credit.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but it used to be SS's knowledge base ID #454 at http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...F9jYXRfbHZsMT1. But I'd be surprised if that URL works anymore.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Req help imputing data
Old 04-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

My SS figures are not based on that annual statement, but rather my own computations based on the SSA calculator.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #4

Hey, maybe one of you can save me some time. I get
the report every year showing my estimated SS benefits
at various retirement ages. I was wondering how much change there might be (2.5 years to 62) assuming new
law does not impact this. My high earning years were shortly before I retired. However, I've assumed with the very low earning years at the start averaged in (beginning 1961), along with the COLA increases in SS
until I start to draw benefits in 2006, it seems
that my income from SS will not change much from now until then. Any thoughts?

John Galt